What's your age and the highest recorded heart rate?

2»

Replies

• libland
    libland Posts: 284 Member
    46 years old. Once saw 187 on my HRM and was not feeling real good. I have done some submax texts to determine my max and they have come out between 190 and 210 so I just use 200 as my max when determining exercise range. The whole max heart rate being 220 - age is old school.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    According to the elliptical at the gym, 186 and I am 23. It usually stays around 165-70s.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I'm 34
    resting hr is 46
    highest active hr is 205
    Since I've lost the weight and become fit I generally sit at 177, haven't gone over 185 since losing the weight in July.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    http://www.runnersweb.com/running/hr_calculator_new.html

Might be better if you know your resting and max heart rates. I find generic ones based on age always put me too low given I have a very wide HR range compared to average, outside the usual standard 2 deviations.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Yeah - I think there's been an error. Every formula I've ever seen basically says your MAXIMUM HR is 220 minus your age (one is slightly adjusted for women, comes out similarly, though).

http://exercise.about.com/od/cardioworkouts/ss/findtargetheart.htm

I found this article incredibly useful - a little more accurate than doing a percentage of your MHR, it instead calculates a training range. By this formula, my HR should be a little higher than by just a percentage of MHR - which reassured me since I was barely breaking a sweat at 120 and being told this was like 60% or something. I'm 37 and regularly hit 160 with interval work, recover quickly, try to maintain around 140 for longer, maintained exertion.

I think asking a trainer about this is a good idea. If pulse isn't pounding in your head, you're probably "safe", but 201 is super high. So is 191...

That is only an average, which means you would expect to find about 80% within one standard deviation of that, and around 98% within 2. It's based on a bell curve of mean max heart rates. It doesn't mean you HAVE to have that as your max HR. It's just that most people are somewhere near it, in one direction or the other.
  • I'm so glad this topic came up! I just started working out at a gym and I was concerned with the numbers I was seeing on my heart rate monitor. Turns out at 33 years old, 162 is right on track.