Not a morning person!

2»

Replies

• my son is Autistic, so my wake and sleep schedule is disrupted many hours for years(10+). My son only sleep about 3-4 hours a night. Try all the usual sleep/relaxation techniques.ie...soft music, herbal tea, warm milk with cinnamon, etc. Sometimes exercisie late in evening can have the opposite effect and keep you over stimulated so that sleep will be difficult. Try working out earlier or shorter set of time throughout the day. Hope this helps.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Every summer I get in the habit of sleeping as long as my son will let me. Sometimes that's 7:30, sometimes it's 8:30. Then at night, I can't go to sleep 'till 1:00 am. Every August, I have to re-set my body clock so that I can get up and go to work. Here's how I do it:

I lay out my clothes for the next day and pack my gym bag. I set my coffee maker on 'auto'. I set the alarm for 6:00 am and force myself to get up without hitting the snooze or reset buttons. I go to the bathroom, weigh, brush my teeth and put on my gym clothes. Then I pack my lunch, put my coffee in a thermos and head to the gym. By the time I get there, I'm ready to workout. (It also helps if I have a gym buddy that I'm supposed to meet at a certain time. I'm the kind of person that would rather die than be late.)

I get to work about 7:30 and I'm ready to start my day. It's rough the first few mornings but it's easier to fall asleep at 10:00 PM when you've been up since 6:00. After a few days, it doesn't hurt any more.
  • Thanks! I was really wondering about when I should do my workouts. I have such a busy schedule and I am not a morning person at all. I usually take some time out when I get home to play with my daughter, and I noticed that when I start doing my work out videos, she'll do them with me and then we have all sorts of fun, but I was stuck on the idea that I had to do it in the morning. I am going to try to do it when I get home. Then, I would be able to get my shower in, relax, and work on the homework that is staring at me. :smile:
    Thank you so much for your help. I am glad I am not the only one who has this problem.
    :drinker:
  • Well, I have to say that I have the opposite problem! I don't have any trouble being wide awake the minute I come out of dreamland. I haven't used an alarm clock in my life, except for those crazy days when I have to be up really early for a flight or something, but even then I just set the internal clock and am awake on time! It's at night that I struggle. If I am not doing something interesting or active, I am crashing by 9:30. I think that the slow change should help you adjust. And maybe try making a commitment to letting the dog out from the moment you blink back into the real world. Being forced to think about someone/something other than yourself may make it easier. You know you won't hurt your own feelings but if you are accountable to Fido you might make more effort! Check out this funny alarm clock I found in a catalog one time:
    http://www.turbogadgets.com/2007/02/11/the-alarm-clock-that-you-have-to-chase/

Good luck!! :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Well, I have to say that I have the opposite problem! I don't have any trouble being wide awake the minute I come out of dreamland. I haven't used an alarm clock in my life, except for those crazy days when I have to be up really early for a flight or something, but even then I just set the internal clock and am awake on time! It's at night that I struggle. If I am not doing something interesting or active, I am crashing by 9:30. I think that the slow change should help you adjust. And maybe try making a commitment to letting the dog out from the moment you blink back into the real world. Being forced to think about someone/something other than yourself may make it easier. You know you won't hurt your own feelings but if you are accountable to Fido you might make more effort! Check out this funny alarm clock I found in a catalog one time:

So what do you do if the dog likes to sleep in too>!?!?!:laugh: He'll be mad at me putting him out so early, but it's worth a try! :drinker:
  • Well, I have to say that I have the opposite problem! I don't have any trouble being wide awake the minute I come out of dreamland. I haven't used an alarm clock in my life, except for those crazy days when I have to be up really early for a flight or something, but even then I just set the internal clock and am awake on time! It's at night that I struggle. If I am not doing something interesting or active, I am crashing by 9:30. I think that the slow change should help you adjust. And maybe try making a commitment to letting the dog out from the moment you blink back into the real world. Being forced to think about someone/something other than yourself may make it easier. You know you won't hurt your own feelings but if you are accountable to Fido you might make more effort! Check out this funny alarm clock I found in a catalog one time:

So what do you do if the dog likes to sleep in too>!?!?!:laugh: He'll be mad at me putting him out so early, but it's worth a try! :drinker:

Drag his sleepy butt out of bed! At least he can't complain like the hubby!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    I'm not good about getting up in the morning and working out either (esp after being up with the baby at night.) I recently saw a print ad for something (Nike?) and it said, "If you had started your run when you first starting thinking about it, you'd be finished by now." That definitely resonated with me. I hate doing it first thing in the morning, but when I do manage to get up, I feel energized and good for the rest of the day. Good luck.
  • I am not a morning person either but if when my alarm goes off I get up and turn on the lights and then get back in bed I will get up for good the next time it goes off. I read somewhere that lights wake our body up. I don't know if that is true but it seems to work.