• Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 380 Member
    Crowbones (The World of the Others #3; The Others #8) by Anne Bishop
  • Catfish_Fan
    Poster Girl by Veronica Roth
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,364 Member
    True Grit by Charles Portis. Watched the movies, but I've never read the book so I'm excited to dig in!
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,374 Member
    FitMary202 wrote: »
    True Grit by Charles Portis. Watched the movies, but I've never read the book so I'm excited to dig in!

I'll be interested in hearing what you think about it. I've never read it either.
  • FitMary202
    Btrflydog wrote: »
    FitMary202 wrote: »

I'll be interested in hearing what you think about it. I've never read it either.

So far, I love it! Such an original narrative voice. "Folksy" but acidic, really fun. It's making it hard to put down and do work!
  • Btrflydog
    Guess I'm going to have to add it to my list :D

Just finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - was slow getting into but once I did I really enjoyed it.

Next up The Magic Circle - Katherine Neville
  • Catfish_Fan
    The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour
  • FitMary202
    Btrflydog wrote: »
    Guess I'm going to have to add it to my list :D

Just finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - was slow getting into but once I did I really enjoyed it.

Next up The Magic Circle - Katherine Neville

I liked the Bitter and Sweet too.
    Good to be reminded of Louis L'Amour too. So popular when I was growing up in Wyoming!
  • Catfish_Fan
    Never by Ken Follett
  • Btrflydog
    Having trouble getting into The Magic Circle- part of the trouble is the small print, trying to start a book while on a weekend vacation full of interruptions and drama and of course book hangover from last book. So I am taking a break from it.

Now reading The London Seance Society - Sarah Penner

Will try and go back to The Magic Circle. I do think it will be interesting if I can ever focus on it for more than 3 minutes.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Rise of the Ranger (The Echoes Saga, #1)
    by Philip C. Quaintrell

(I found my Q name for the challenge)
  • Btrflydog
    Rise of the Ranger (The Echoes Saga, #1)
    by Philip C. Quaintrell

(I found my Q name for the challenge)

I found a possible X for the challenge - if it's something I can actually read.
  • Catfish_Fan
    I am pausing my Q name book, it is the start of a long series and seems like a complicated epic fantasy that might not fit my mood at this moment. I may get back to it sometime.

I am reading Poverty, by America by Matthew Desmond now. It is ok, but contains a lot of statistics, numbers, and idealism. I don't think the author's ideas for eliminating poverty would work because the rich oligarchy in America like the status quo the way that it is (with the rich getting richer and the divide between classes growing), and since they control everything with their bribery of politics (through lobby groups and dark money donations), nothing will change. I am more cynical about the situation than the author.
  • FitMary202
    I am pausing my Q name book, it is the start of a long series and seems like a complicated epic fantasy that might not fit my mood at this moment. I may get back to it sometime.

I am reading Poverty, by America by Matthew Desmond now. It is ok, but contains a lot of statistics, numbers, and idealism. I don't think the author's ideas for eliminating poverty would work because the rich oligarchy in America like the status quo the way that it is (with the rich getting richer and the divide between classes growing), and since they control everything with their bribery of politics (through lobby groups and dark money donations), nothing will change. I am more cynical about the situation than the author.

I want to read Poverty too. I thought Evicted was well researched and well written, but this book is getting more criticism. I try to stay optimistic, but it is difficult...
  • Catfish_Fan
    Yes, I gave 5 stars to Evicted. I gave 3 to Poverty.

I'm now reading a Kindle Unlimited selection from an author I like, Adrian Tchaikovsky. He writes sci-fi. This one is called Dogs of War. Most of his novels are not in Kindle Unlimited and are pretty expensive.
  • FitMary202
    I've just started The Love Songs of W.E.B. Du Bois by Honoree Fanonne Jeffers.
  • beccaboo1276414
    beccaboo1276414 Posts: 828 Member
    Killing and Dying by Adrian To mine

It's a wonderful collection of short stories graphic novel style, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the title! It's a charmer.

Hey all, and catfish fan!
  • Catfish_Fan
    I reread a book from 1989 by Anne Rice, The Mummy (#1 in a series). It is not in her famous Vampire Chronicles series which I read and loved. I was researching book 2 which was co-written by her son Christopher Rice and one of the only Anne Rice books left that I have not read, sad to learn that she passed away in December 2021. I hadn't heard about this, she was 80 years old. I'm kind of surprised that I never heard of her passing because she was a favorite author, but I am not very connected to national news or social media that would have discussed this, I don't frequent many book sites other than Goodreads and just never heard about it. I am now reading book 2, The Passion of Cleopatra.