whats thanksgiving?

1235»

Replies

• Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Am I supposed to be sorry for not giving enough of a *kitten* to run down to the nearest library to argue against a forum post that will be forgotten within hours?
    Just because it's on wiki doesn't mean it's wrong.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Things that have been posted on Wiki include a date of death for someone who was very much alive, among MANY other inaccuracies.

If you're going to go to the trouble to argue against a point of fact, at least go to the trouble to ensure your facts come from a reliable source. Otherwise, why bother?
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    "Laud's theology was influenced by the teachings of the Dutch theologian Jacob Arminius (1560-1609), who emphasised free will over predestination and an acceptance of ordered and uniform practices of worship. Laud's love of ceremony and harmonious liturgy — the "beauty of holiness" — was favoured by King Charles because it encouraged obedience to the King's authority as head of the church. During the eleven-year Personal Rule, Laud worked closely with the King to root out nonconformity. Between 1634 and 1637, Laud authorised methodical "visitations" by his vicar-general Sir Nathaniel Brent in every diocese throughout the kingdom to enforce conformity and to correct irregularities in the conduct of services. Dilapidation in the fabric of churches was also reported and repairs ordered. Laud believed that he was restoring discipline and order to the Church of England according to the rules laid down in the earliest days of the English Reformation. However, his attempts to force uniformity of worship ran contrary to all shades of Puritan opinion, and his Arminian doctrines were regarded as dangerously close to Roman Catholicism.

Although Laud's severity was often exaggerated by his critics, he was intolerant of opposition and made full use of the courts of Star Chamber and High Commission to punish dissidents. In 1637, the religious radicals William Prynne, Henry Burton and John Bastwick were tortured and imprisoned for speaking and writing against Laud's policies, which succeeded in making them into Puritan martyrs. The rabble-rousing John Lilburne was persecuted in 1638, provoking further popular outcry against Laud and his bishops." - http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/biog/laud.htm

Better?

And if you're going to troll, try targeting someone who gives a *poopie*. Otherwise your time's just wasted. But gj on getting my original post deleted because (gasp) I uttered the more vulgar term for solid waste matter.

Have a good day :) o/
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Sorrry i live in the UK, so when my american friends mention it i have noo idea what it is and i was just wanting to know!

I think the UK should do thanksgiving! Id be goood at celebrating with drinks and food =)

But noooo the UK is tooo lame for that sorta thing!
    Since the holiday in the States is tied to the arrival of Puritan pilgrims fleeing England's religious persecution, Brits could celebrate the departure of those wet blanket Puritans! :laugh:
    Actually this is untrue. Puritans did not leave England to escape persecution. They did it because English society did not want to act like them. We were far to debauched for their tastes.
    :drinker:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    "Laud's theology was influenced by the teachings of the Dutch theologian Jacob Arminius (1560-1609), who emphasised free will over predestination and an acceptance of ordered and uniform practices of worship. Laud's love of ceremony and harmonious liturgy — the "beauty of holiness" — was favoured by King Charles because it encouraged obedience to the King's authority as head of the church. During the eleven-year Personal Rule, Laud worked closely with the King to root out nonconformity. Between 1634 and 1637, Laud authorised methodical "visitations" by his vicar-general Sir Nathaniel Brent in every diocese throughout the kingdom to enforce conformity and to correct irregularities in the conduct of services. Dilapidation in the fabric of churches was also reported and repairs ordered. Laud believed that he was restoring discipline and order to the Church of England according to the rules laid down in the earliest days of the English Reformation. However, his attempts to force uniformity of worship ran contrary to all shades of Puritan opinion, and his Arminian doctrines were regarded as dangerously close to Roman Catholicism.

Although Laud's severity was often exaggerated by his critics, he was intolerant of opposition and made full use of the courts of Star Chamber and High Commission to punish dissidents. In 1637, the religious radicals William Prynne, Henry Burton and John Bastwick were tortured and imprisoned for speaking and writing against Laud's policies, which succeeded in making them into Puritan martyrs. The rabble-rousing John Lilburne was persecuted in 1638, provoking further popular outcry against Laud and his bishops." - http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/biog/laud.htm

Better?

And if you're going to troll, try targeting someone who gives a *poopie*. Otherwise your time's just wasted. But gj on getting my original post deleted because (gasp) I uttered the more vulgar term for solid waste matter.

Have a good day :) o/
    For what it's worth, I reported you. Cheers! :drinker:
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    I'm an American living in Canada and I get to celebrate both
    of the holidays and get time off work too. :bigsmile:

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone who celebrates!!!!