Favorite Airport/Least Favorite Airport

13»

Replies

• scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    I'm a big international traveler for work so I've got a long list of airports I hate and only a few that I like.

Worst: A tie between Heathrow and Frankfurt, both are terrible in their own ways. Occasionally I fly through Frankfurt when the flight connections/times are better, but you couldn't pay me to fly through Heathrow. I avoid that airport like the plague. Atlanta is also pretty miserable. Amsterdam Schiphol can be terrible as well, gates can be literally miles apart.

Best: Munich is one of the best airports in the world, hands down. Hong Kong is also really excellent

I also have an extensive no fly list, airlines I will not fly no matter what. It includes: Air France, Alitalia, British Airways, Southwest, Easy Jet, Ryanair
  • Like Pierre Ellliott Trudeau, Miami is a nightmare:)

Montreal airport is an easy to go airport... JFK is dark, low seeling, dislike.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    I also have an extensive no fly list, airlines I will not fly no matter what. It includes: Air France, Alitalia, British Airways, Southwest, Easy Jet, Ryanair

I actually like Southwest... other than the cattle call to get on the plane... but other than that the service has always been good (to me).

Now US Air.... after 3 large issues with them... will never EVER fly them again... EVER. Horrible service.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I adore Southwest and wish they flew out of somewhere closer to where I live.

And I guess I'm the only person on the planet who's never had a negative experience at ATL. :-)
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member

I actually like Southwest... other than the cattle call to get on the plane... but other than that the service has always been good (to me).

Now US Air.... after 3 large issues with them... will never EVER fly them again... EVER. Horrible service.

I can't do the cattle call to get on the plane. I refuse just on principle.

I agree with you on US Air though, if I had my way I'd never fly them, but it's hard to avoid if you're traveling within the US. I never fly any US based airline for international flights though.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Orlando is pretty nice, DTW is crap
  • immacookie

I can't do the cattle call to get on the plane. I refuse just on principle.

I agree with you on US Air though, if I had my way I'd never fly them, but it's hard to avoid if you're traveling within the US. I never fly any US based airline for international flights though.

I've managed to avoid US Air for the last 3 years using mainly AirTran and Southwest :laugh: (yes I hate USAir "THAT" much)

Good tip about international flights!!!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    We have a saying in my family - Anyone But BA, or ABBA for short... And I agree about Ryanair and EasyJet, especially the former. Have heard ghastly things about Alitalia, but have always had very positive experiences with them, and no problems with AirFrance. Delta, on the other hand... Are they still operational?

People seriously like Heathrow?!?! A truly ghastly airport, in my estimation. Though Gatwick is worse. Stansted and Luton are to be avoided like the plague. St Petersburg is pretty grim too. LAX has its' moments, as does Newark.

Don't mind O'Hare and Shiphol, or Frankfurt - yes, they're spread out and irritating to get around, but they're also reasonably well supplied with things to do if delayed, shops for last-minute and flight-essentials, and semi-decent places to eat.

Airports I like: Singapore - gardens in the terminal, rooftop swimming pool, and cafes etc open 24/7 for those poor schmucks whose flights arrive at 2am local time...(usually me), Oslo - hyper-efficient, lots of windows and reasonably compact, London City - check-in to plane in 20minutes flat and the most cheerful security/immigration officers I've ever met, Paris Charles de Gaulle - great design, great coffee, Milan Malpensa and Rome Leonardo da Vinci - fantastic coffee, good shopping and easy to navigate. Berlin Tegel is surprisingly good for a 'B' airport.
  • skinnnyxoxo
    skinnnyxoxo Posts: 210 Member
    Favorite: Dubai Airport
    Least Favorite: ..... I don't know.
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Favourite - Oslo Gardermoen

Least favourite - Prestwick (Scotland) or Heathrow Terminal 3
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    I will be at ATL this Sunday on my way to Raleigh/Durham RDU

I've only been to ATL once before and that was a long time ago.
  • immacookie

Use the tram/shuttle thing if you have to go more than a couple of gates!!! First time I was at ATL I made the mistake of thinking I had over an hour layover so it would be nice to walk to get some exercise............:noway:
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member

Use the tram/shuttle thing if you have to go more than a couple of gates!!! First time I was at ATL I made the mistake of thinking I had over an hour layover so it would be nice to walk to get some exercise............:noway:

OK
    Thanks