What makes you to OVEREAT?

Options

Replies

• Kittitiancutie
    Kittitiancutie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    redstuff wrote: »
    I eat the wrong things and too much of them when I'm tired. I know that I should eat the grapes instead of the cookie or the crackers, but when I'm tired the cookie and crackers call to me!!!
    Stress makes it happen too.

This is the same for me..mostly at work where there are a lot of sweets. Sweets are one of my triggers
  • mermaidnj
    mermaidnj Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    fear and anxiety.. carbs my drug of choice..
  • elocin28
    elocin28 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I mostly over eat when I'm bored. It's like I have nothing better to do so I might as well have something to eat.
  • caitrschmidt
    caitrschmidt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I overeat late at night, especially if I've eaten healthy all day long. Biggest temptations: chocolate items and chips & salsa. As a teacher, I also over eat after a stressful or long day with students.
  • sherrsuntha
    sherrsuntha Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    1.Stress/guilt
    2. If I wait until after lunch I will binge especially if there is an abundance of non healthy food
    3. If I have free reign of somewhere where there are lots of my favorite junk foods.

• mermaidnj
    mermaidnj Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    nights are the hardest time for me to resisit the binge..
  • pslansky
    pslansky Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What makes me over eat? Ouch... that wasn’t a question I was ready to answer this evening. But then again, that is probably the very question that I must answer. Definitely stress and anxiety make me overeat. Food is the one thing I like to think I can control even though in reality it seems to be controlling me! I can’t control work, finances, or family, but food never argues, food never misbehaves, food is always there, food never says no, food never lets me down. Food laughs at all my jokes, food goes out when I want to go out, and food stays home when I want to stay home. Food fills all the voids... oh yeah, fills ‘em too well. In fact, now that it has me in it’s sharp and powerful jaws it is pulling me under. Being overweight is taking it’s toll on my body, mind, confidence, attitude, work, relationships, practically everything. We have to eat to live, so food can’t be avoided, but it is definitely time to eat to live instead of living to eat. I want to live a bit longer, a bit healthier, and a bit happier so this is the day I start making a change. Small, sustainable changes that will shape a better life from here to the end.
  • DADDY0072020
    DADDY0072020 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    WHAT MAKES ME OVER EAT.....I have been over eating since my divorce and the death of my mother the loss of a pet 6/2019 till now.....so I eat to try to get my mind off things..... after I eat I feel so bad .....so now I'm faced with trying to live healthy...... so my problem is I overeat I undereat I don't eat .....I have maintained this weight which by the BMI standard says I am overweight but if you look at me that would never enter your mind .....but for the doctor I need to lose weight ....I have underlying health issues so this is going to be very challenging ....I'm told to do walking and biking and nothing else along with eating clean up to three times a day ....which is so hard to do because most days I don't have an appetite..... I even have to force myself to drink water which is all I drink anyway......so I hope by reading everyone's comments in the community it will inspire me.... put a fire underneath me to get on track.... I have until the month of June to drop as much weight as I possibly can...... get on a routine of exercise and eating....... just healthy living basically ....my mind says no problem but that's as far as it gets.... it stays in my mind ....I got to put the action behind the thought seriously .....so I went out and hired a personal trainer ....now folks to be honest if they're not ringing my door or my phone constantly annoying me ...well let me stop there let me not start out negative.... I am paying this person so I need to make that money work for me and do my best to make it at least twice a week to the gym.... get back into a routine ....even eating on a regular basis .....well I wish everyone the best of luck on whatever journey in life they are embarking on..... let us all encourage each other and be there for each other.... I know I need all the push and support I can get.... emphasis on that push ....thank you for allowing me to join your community.....love peace and happiness too all
  • pslansky
    pslansky Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @DADDY0072020 Your post was a lot to unpack but I felt every word... I’ve been there in is as many ways as you describe. Divorce (a while ago), my mom died somewhat recently, along with loss of the long time family dog. I’ve also been dealt some permanent health issues that really suck and which prevent some exercises. I’m also “obese” by my doctor’s standards because I’m over 300 lbs but I am also 6’-4” so I carry it like I’m just a “big guy”. I sure don’t feel obese, but I know I’m not healthy either. I can also tell you that I can find any excuse to eat bad and not exercise. I also hired a trainer in the past, which actually helped. However, I still struggled with food seeming to be the only thing in life that hasn’t let me down, but I’ve finally realized that too is an excuse and I’m ready to eat to live and NOT live to eat. I tried to find reasons in the past to get healthier, but only when I was ready to do it for myself could I truly find the strength. The fire you are looking for comes from within, and judging by your post, you’ve got some fire. The challenge will be applying that fire where it counts, in a positive way; and remembering that it is one-day-at-a-time. Some days are better than others but minor setbacks are not a “start-over”, they are actually just rough spots we can grip onto as we push forward. Those rough spots can help make sure we don’t slip too far back when we fall. I’ve been at the bottom and I’m not going back. If this journey was easy, everyone would instantly be fit and healthy. It’s actually hard, but it does get easier with time. You’ve come to the right place for support and encouragement. Keep the MFP community posted of your progress and even your setbacks and this community will keep you encouraged! You can do it, you got this, it doesn’t have you!!!
  • fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I reasonate with a lot here.
    I think there is an endorphin element in indulging- feeling so good eating something huge and delicious, but also in the overfill feeling - it reminds me of the endorphin rush after getting a piercing - the pain of a stretched stomach is a tiny rush.
    I also think that the loss of control when binging is a factor- I assuage guilt and responsibility by “giving in”. I’m not in control so I’m not responsible. I don’t t have to hold it together any more. Not that i don’t feel ashamed the next day - but In the moment, loosing control and the rush of indulgence takes over.

Exercise helps. Low carb helps. Sobriety helps (I’m not a substance addict, but drinking and weed boost the indulgent mentality and induces cravings for me) Self awareness helps. Answering questions like this helps self awareness. So thanks.
  • CaffeenQueen
    CaffeenQueen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I overeat when Im alone.
    It's usually Sundays, my husband will leave for work around 3:30 pm and that is when it starts "I have a taste for something salty," I eat a bag of popcorn, after the popcorn I'll go back to the pantry, look for another snack, or I'll cook a whole meal, eat it, and an hour later, my stupid brain will say "Time for something sweet." I will literally eat all day like a bottomless pit. This little habit has been going on for months and its getting worse since this quarantine went into place as I am by myself most of the time, and now I'm bored too. Binge eat like this started because I don't want my husband to see me eating badly, so when he's not around my brain is like "Freedom! Time to eat all the things!" One Sunday it was so bad I couldn't sleep, I was too uncomfortable, because I ate so much. I gained 4 lbs that week. It was an eye opener to me that I had a problem, but what is my problem, why am I binge eating like this? Why do I feel like I have to hide eating in front of my husband? Why do I have such little will power to say no to bingeing?
    My husband, he is trying to gain weight (muscle), and also has a difficult time with it. He doesn't shame me, or comment on my weight, he shares his hardships with me, supports me. I feel my problem is I just don't want to disappoint him, because he is so great and I admire how much he tries.
    So I confessed last weekend and aired out my dirty laundry. He told me he has been slacking too, and that we just have to keep moving forward, and maybe exercise together. So now Im trying to stop the Sunday binge and its so hard. I didn't buy any of my usual snacks, and I did a meal plan, and now Im logging my food and walking more. I'm not sure how to stop all these cravings, mostly I have been trying to replace eating bad foods to eating vegetables but Im still eating a lot. I'm sure it just takes time for me to gain my will power back. We shall see how this Sunday goes, Im going to be optimistic!
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    @CaffeenQueen ,it is healthy to eat a lot of vegetables in stead of junk foods. There are a lot of people who eat a lot of good foods here too. You can see us on a tread called '' Volume Eaters''.🥒🍅🍆🥕🥗🍓🥦🥬🍐🍎
  • Maria170693
    Maria170693 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat when in sad, stressed and when I'm facing changes in my life.
    I really want to educate myself...
  • AquaMeow
    AquaMeow Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    PMS used to make me overeat but I overcame the cravings with self discipline and self control. I also notice most my cravings are in the late afternoon and evenings and once I wake up the next day the cravings are gone.
  • damselfly7981
    damselfly7981 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    some how it became a reward for me. It became my drug of choice to numb out. Stress or feeling isolated.
  • tilyx
    tilyx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I overeat when......
    Im sad
    Im angry
    Im happy
    Im lonely
    Im bored
    Im stressed
    Im at a party
    Im at a family get together
    I want to make myself feel better
    Ive accomplished something, overeating is like a "treat"

So yeah....I think thats pretty much it!

Generally speaking, I am the same. But lately I have been eating too much because of boredom and loneliness. I have extreme anxiety and it is difficult to leave the house and have fun. I have a hard time talking about it, so I'm surprised that I had the courage to write about it.
  • areyouready3691
    areyouready3691 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I overeat for any feelings, thoughts, you name it.
  • drj63
    drj63 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    donnam40 wrote: »
    I overeat when......
    Im sad
    Im angry
    Im happy
    Im lonely
    Im bored
    Im stressed
    Im at a party
    Im at a family get together
    I want to make myself feel better
    Ive accomplished something, overeating is like a "treat"

So yeah....I think thats pretty much it!

I couldn't havve said it better. Any reason really. I need to create a new habit when I feel that trigger - make a cup of tea, anything else but eating!

You nailed it for me! It's all of the above and I REALLY want to figure out why.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I try not to snack out of boredom. I'm trying to stick with my diet for 21 days. After this I should get use to good eating habits.🤞🏽
  • Jenpec98
    Jenpec98 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I notice I eat a lot more when my depression and anxiety amp up. My diary shows also, because a lot of time I don't even log what I eat.