What makes you to OVEREAT?

Replies

• fitbitversadiva
    fitbitversadiva Posts: 3 Member
    Mostly when I'm stressed out about things. :( I wish I could just stay away from the kitchen (fridge) when I'm stressed out.. but it's just something I have done since I was little... :(
  • cormierannie
    cormierannie Posts: 4,330 Member
    For me, I tend to overeat when I am stressed, bored, or lonely.
  • rebbecajean
    rebbecajean Posts: 4 Member
    I eat when I'm bored but especially when I'm socializing. I love going to restaurants with friends, I love romantic dinners with me Sweetie. I always tell myself its ok because its "a special occasion." I think of food at a restaurant or even takeout as a "special" thing even though its something I do a lot compared to when I was a kid. Its a mindset I don't know how to break.
  • Aurelia_Calalay
    Aurelia_Calalay Posts: 1 Member
    I over eat when my depression gets worse. It a vicious cycle. Somebody makes a comment on my weight or sometimes I'm really just in my own head. So I go home and I dont eat for a couple days then get depressed and over eat then either harm myself of make myself throw up. And repeat. I have a really good group of people who help me through it and I'm really working on changing this.
  • cormierannie
    I find that I overeat when I get bored, stressed, lonely or depressed.
  • LoveofOlive
    LoveofOlive Posts: 1 Member
    Immediately upon getting home from work, I am drawn to the snack cabinet. I'm not sure if it's stress, it probably is. It lasts from walking into the house all the way up to dinner time.

I have a bad habit of snacking even while I'm making dinner (a habit for which my husband likes to laugh at me).

To be fair, the time I'm getting home is 4-5 hours after lunch, so I'm legitimately getting hungry- I just have a hard time waiting for food when I'm hungry.

This is something I am working on, as getting food shouldn't be an emergency- especially in a first world country, with food a-plenty.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    This is so me!!! I call my extreme weight gain in the past year my "pandemic not-running" weight gain.

Instead of stress-running I've been stress-eating. Buying the larger size clothes has cost me a lot and made me stress-eat more.

I've been getting better this week, but I need to keep at it. Seeing the scales Sunday at the highest I've ever seen it propelled me this week.

I need accountability to get out an run and and to put away most (not all, I need some!) of the chocolate, cookies and ice cream.

I have marathon #3 in 6 weeks and 1 day. (Virtual Boston marathon on October 9) I'd like to be down close to 10 pounds by then.
  • lgould8
    lgould8 Posts: 6 Member
    Packages. Packages are a problem. I want to finish the package.
  • ash064
    ash064 Posts: 2 Member
    I overeat and make bad choices when I am stressed, anxious, depressed or bored. I have a bad habit of driving around and listening to music while getting fast food when any of the above arise cause it feels good to me but it is unhealthy for my weight as well as my wallet.
  • I overeat mostly when I am feeling a particular kind of stress. I can handle the everyday stress just fine, but when I'm feeling trapped/imprisoned in my own home/work/skin - like I can't breath because everywhere I turn there is something that needs to be done or someone needs something from me (think the old "Calgone take me away" commercials) - when it feels like you are drowning and even if you leave to take a break, the list of things that you need to do keeps repeating in your head and the guilt of not actually working on that list gnaws at your core.

What I really struggle with is that - my two coping skills since I was a teenager was to eat and get lost in television. Several years ago, for my own self-preservation, I gave up television. I would get home from work, turn on the tv and sit there for at least five hours sucked in. I live alone, so there was no one else around to take care of the housekeeping and would get overwhelmed by all the work that needed to be done because I never cleaned up after myself because I didn't have the time to do it during the workweek. I still watch an occasional movie and if I'm at someone else's house and they are watching something, I'll watch along, but I don't want to get back to the way I was ever again. Then I started to pay attention to my eating habits and have recently been working on paying attention to what, how and why I eat - so I've cut down on the emotional eating significantly.

My problem now is that, because of my current life situation, I feel more imprisoned/trapped than ever before and I have no coping skills to replace the ones I used to rely on. I'm trying hard to sort through that, but right now, it is really difficult to not fall into a depression - which I'm really fighting to avoid right now. I tried journaling, but it is a habit that is difficult for me to start- not working too well. I don't have anyone I can talk to in person, so I'm relying heavily on FB groups right now, which is really not the healthiest thing, but it's doing for now. I'm also noticing that my professional work is suffering for it too because my emotions are all over the place and having trouble focusing. I'm hoping this gets better soon and I can safely ride this out.
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    I overeat mostly when I am feeling a particular kind of stress. I can handle the everyday stress just fine, but when I'm feeling trapped/imprisoned in my own home/work/skin - like I can't breath because everywhere I turn there is something that needs to be done or someone needs something from me (think the old "Calgone take me away" commercials) - when it feels like you are drowning and even if you leave to take a break, the list of things that you need to do keeps repeating in your head and the guilt of not actually working on that list gnaws at your core.

What I really struggle with is that - my two coping skills since I was a teenager was to eat and get lost in television. Several years ago, for my own self-preservation, I gave up television. I would get home from work, turn on the tv and sit there for at least five hours sucked in. I live alone, so there was no one else around to take care of the housekeeping and would get overwhelmed by all the work that needed to be done because I never cleaned up after myself because I didn't have the time to do it during the workweek. I still watch an occasional movie and if I'm at someone else's house and they are watching something, I'll watch along, but I don't want to get back to the way I was ever again. Then I started to pay attention to my eating habits and have recently been working on paying attention to what, how and why I eat - so I've cut down on the emotional eating significantly.

My problem now is that, because of my current life situation, I feel more imprisoned/trapped than ever before and I have no coping skills to replace the ones I used to rely on. I'm trying hard to sort through that, but right now, it is really difficult to not fall into a depression - which I'm really fighting to avoid right now. I tried journaling, but it is a habit that is difficult for me to start- not working too well. I don't have anyone I can talk to in person, so I'm relying heavily on FB groups right now, which is really not the healthiest thing, but it's doing for now. I'm also noticing that my professional work is suffering for it too because my emotions are all over the place and having trouble focusing. I'm hoping this gets better soon and I can safely ride this out.

Hi! I relate to this a lot. My main coping was emotional eating and tv for a long time. If it's helpful here are the coping skills I use now.
    (I personally still use tv, I just recognize it as "neutral" as long as it's for a shorter time period)

Movement- going on a walk outside helps a ton. House walking works too especially with good music. Or just getting up and dancing, cleaning up to music, etc. I practice yoga 20 minutes a day. Really helps me feel better.

Meditation- I use the calm app, there's other apps like headspace and lots of free guided meditations on YouTube. It's a practice, so I do it everyday. Learning how to do it when I was feeling good made it possible to use when I wasn't feeling good. (Hard to learn how to meditate in the middle of a panic attack but if you learn how to do it on a good day you can possibly use it on a bad one.)

Journaling/ talking- Counseling was really helpful, now I'm able to use the skills I learned and find success in just journaling/ talking to a friend. I do some stream-of-consciousness writing to just get those feelings out. I also do parts work (which I learned in counseling) you imagine your true self is sitting down at a table with all your "parts," I like the parts model that looks at your inner joyful child, inner hurt child, critical adult and nurturing adult. I let each part chime in while journaling and then I try to journal how my true self feels about something. It's really helpful.

Other coping skills- good books, self-massage or acupressure mats (very relaxing) comedy, cat or dog videos on YouTube, (can be a short pick-me-up instead of getting sucked in for hours.)

There are a lot of good coping skills to try. These are the ones that worked for me. I hope you're able to find ones that work for you. Best wishes. <3

• Csy4242
    Csy4242 Posts: 210 Member
    When I am sad, stressed, bored, and when I am at a restaurant.
  • I tend to stress eat.
    When I'm bored.
    When I'm upset.
    I've always used food to comfort myself. Something that has to stop.
  • Lessennan
    Lessennan Posts: 2,989 Member
    Think it’s stress. Get fed up being the one who has to take charge and care sometimes and munching is better than screaming. Retribution doesn’t last as long from self
  • rjason1986
    rjason1986 Posts: 29 Member
    For me its a like most of you.

Mild Depression(if it's a DEEP depression I don't eat)
    Boredom
    Stress
    Anxiety
    Sleeplessness

I've been going through a very rough patch in my personal life. I was down to 237lbs with fasting and regular exercise. The emotional stress caused me to lose sleep, high stress drove my anxiety through the roof and gave me crippling depression. In that time I would binge eat especially late at night to cope and "feel better" but it just made me feel worse which in turn caused me to eat more. So I went back up to 255lbs.

I am refocusing on myself now. I started going to the gym and have started my fasting again. Trying to work up to a 7 day fast. After 1 day of fasting and going to the gym I'm down 3lbs in 24 hours. I want to be down to 190lbs by March. So I have 4 months to lose 62 lbs.
  • evelinford422
    evelinford422 Posts: 7 Member
    I like to overeat if the food tastes really good.Then I tend to go back for seconds. I also was raised to clean my plate and eat up everything that's on it. So a lot of times my eyes were bigger then my stomach but I ate my food anyway.
  • cormierannie
    For me, I tend to overeat when I get bored, stressed, overtired, lonely, anxious.
  • lrcruzoliveira
    lrcruzoliveira Posts: 1 Member
    I eat too much for all the reasons.
    I urgently need to stop eating.
    Every day I worsen my situation, inflaming my organism every time.
    Nobody knows what tomorrow will be like, but I would like to do my part.
    If I depend on good habits to live longer, I want to and I will take care of my health.
    I need to be able to raise my children and see them as adults.
    If I die prematurely, let it not be for not doing my part.
    My biggest enemy and the only one to blame for everything is myself.
  • IMAnn212
    IMAnn212 Posts: 12 Member
    Hi -

I tend to overeat when just not wanting to deal with my emotions on any level. Being from a background where you was never to show any emotions and had to be stoic, no matter what was going on, how you felt, or what was done to you, first drink, then food became something in which I could put all my energies into. To the point that when I just want to "quiet everything" in, and around, me I just eat something. It's the way I numb myself.
  • GwynLeder
    GwynLeder Posts: 101 Member
    I overeat when I 1) am stressed; 2) when I suffer from depression 3) at a social event with my "favorite" foods such as cake, cookies and the like