Firearms in your home??

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Even though I don't own firearms in my home, I believe the biggest issue is with IRRESPONSIBLE gun owners. Like anything else, if you have irresponsible people in charge, only bad stuff will end up happening.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member

The courts don't refer to gun-related events as "accidents". They are ALWAYS preventable. My guns have never hurt anyone due to my safe practices.

I see. I thought you'd included vehicular collisions in your comments as well. I suppose that confusion comes from the fact that I took "inanimate objects" a bit too literally.

It doesn't matter. Both, a gun and a vehicle, are perfectly safe when used according to the law and proper training. Sure, not everyone abides by that, but should I lose my ability to own, possess, or use either instrument because some people don't want to play by the rules? It is MY responsibility to watch out for those people, and be as aware as I can be of my surroundings. I've never been in a collision, but I've avoided a whole lot of them. Again, a gun (or car) is just a piece of metal. It takes a person to make it dangerous.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Just to throw another log on the fire. Cyprus is right behind the US in terms of gun imports. Oddly they literally have a handful (less than 10) of gun related homicides a year.

Maybe we should just ban stupidity instead of guns?
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member

40,000 people die every year due to car collisions (note they aren't called "accidents" by the courts). Just like gun ownership, it is the risk of having the freedom. 43% of Americans own guns. If it is such a bad thing wouldn't you expect homicides by responsible owners to be much much higher?

I don't think I ever suggested that it was *such a bad thing*

After all, I know my way around firearms, as I've already said.

I just don't feel that it's useful (for the OP) to deny the risks. I feel that her concerns are legitimate.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member

40,000 people die every year due to car collisions (note they aren't called "accidents" by the courts). Just like gun ownership, it is the risk of having the freedom. 43% of Americans own guns. If it is such a bad thing wouldn't you expect homicides by responsible owners to be much much higher?

I don't think I ever suggested that it was *such a bad thing*

After all, I know my way around firearms, as I've already said.

I just don't feel that it's useful (for the OP) to deny the risks. I feel that her concerns are legitimate.

No argument there.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Buy a safe. Put guns in safe. Except for one and that should be in his sock drawer.
  • ColeyBear08
    ColeyBear08 Posts: 495 Member
    My boyfriend is in law enforcement and I'm also going into law enforcement with the hopes of one day being a federal agent. With this said we both need guns, we both use guns, and we are both SAFE with guns. If you are very concerned with misuse/accidental misuse of guns maybe you could take some hunter safety courses and ask that your hubby takes them with you. This way you know how to safely use a gun so that you aren't endangering yourself or someone else when using a gun.

RULE #1: Always treat a gun like it's loaded. You do this and no one should get hurt.

Hope this helps
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    we keep guns and bows in our house. WE have trigger locks on all of them. The ammo is stored away from the weapons and it's all safe....I really don't see any big deal with it. My kids are 15 & 17 and they never ever once wanted to play with them or anything but they always knew we had them. They also know that they don't work with trigger guards in them. So basically I have wood and metal stored under my bed. :)
  • ColeyBear08
    we keep guns and bows in our house. WE have trigger locks on all of them. The ammo is stored away from the weapons and it's all safe....I really don't see any big deal with it. My kids are 15 & 17 and they never ever once wanted to play with them or anything but they always knew we had them. They also know that they don't work with trigger guards in them. So basically I have wood and metal stored under my bed. :)

Very smart approach :-)
  • Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    I saw your post about why it had to be guns and not something like martial arts. Do you have a drivers license? Do you know how many people that kills everyday? Every time you get behind the wheel you could kill someone and it probably would be on accident. Gun accidents are accidents as well. Not sure why it makes a difference

I think the difference is that many people need a car to get to work, the doctor, the grocery store...but you dont need a gun to go any of those places. So when you look at risks, you examine them by evaluating the risk against the benefit.

ah nevermind picture won't load.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member

ah nevermind picture won't load.

lowercase...you need lowercase code
  • RULE #1: Always treat a gun like it's loaded. You do this and no one should get hurt.

This is the number one thing in regard to guns. People get complacent and forget that these are weapons. Many incidents with firearms are because people failed to fully empty the gun properly (bullet in the chamber).

Take a safety class, learn to shoot and handle guns properly, and invest in some gun locks. These should assuage your worries or who knows maybe even get you into a new hobby. Competitive sharpshooting is addictive.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Firearms are a major part of our lifestyle. We not only hunt for our food, we protect our home and property. Hubby and I both have our Concealed weapon permits. These are not given out freely. To each their own, but do not take my rights away from me!
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Appreciating the advice. He is not just looking to have the guns but also in getting a license to conceal them. He has nothing to shoot at. We live in the city. We don't even have a large yard to shoot cans at. I want him to have his grandpa's guns cuz I know how much they mean, but why ammo and a license to carry? I just don't get it I guess.
    Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Appreciating the advice. He is not just looking to have the guns but also in getting a license to conceal them. He has nothing to shoot at. We live in the city. We don't even have a large yard to shoot cans at. I want him to have his grandpa's guns cuz I know how much they mean, but why ammo and a license to carry? I just don't get it I guess.

My husband is required to carry for work. We have weapons in the house. I have taken the gun safety course required in our state and I plan to get a lic. to carry as well - not so I can run around with a gun, but if ever I needed to defend myself or my family I don't need some technical BS getting me in trouble. Just an example: If someone chased my husband to the street and was going to shoot him, and I shot that person there in defense of my husband - I have technically "carried". There's all kinds of legal reasons to do this. I don't plan on shooting up the yard or neighborhood. I'll probably only ever shoot at a gun club range.

If you are uncomfortable with them - discuss it with him. Maybe go take a class, shoot at a range so you're comfortable and confident. Get an gun safe.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    ok everyone saying the same thing really and I get it. I do. But why guns? If you want protection why not learn a martial art? Kids can't take that from you and use it wrongly. Knowing that you don't have to worry about locks and ammo, etc... You will always be prepared, don't you think?

Not if the other person has a gun.
  • ColeyBear08
    RULE #1: Always treat a gun like it's loaded. You do this and no one should get hurt.

Take a safety class, learn to shoot and handle guns properly, and invest in some gun locks. These should assuage your worries or who knows maybe even get you into a new hobby. Competitive sharpshooting is addictive.

You can certainly say that again!
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    I have tried to sort through all the post to see if what I feel needs to be said has been said. If it has then scroll down.
    I own several firearms, grew up around firearms, have kids who visit my home on a regular basis, carried a firearm for work since 1991 and do carry concealed. I visit many friends who are also in Law Enforcement and have kids. Co-instructed National Rifle Association Home Defense Firearms.
    I. You need to discuss your concerns with your significant other
    a. Why does he feel he needs a Concealed Carry Permit?
    b. Does he truly feel he could take a human life?
    II. Learn about the weapons being brought into the house and teach the kids that the weapons are like a hot stove, do not touch and tell an adult if they see it.
    III. Keep all firearms and ammunition in separate locations {exception listed below}
    a. Christmas is right around the corner, I keep my Duty; Backup and Off Duty weapons loaded while at home, I also own and recommend if you are going to keep a loaded weapon in the home a lock box {there are several of them on the market and you can purchase a good quality one inexpensively}. If there are kids in the home I recommend a lockbox that is not only combination lock but also key lock and that the keys to the box are placed on the key ring of you and the significant other. {Easy weapon/Ammo storage for cheap, go to Target/Kmart/Wal-Mart and get a fireproof document box}.
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/31921206-1.html
    http://www.cabelas.com/gun-safes-stack-steel-pistol-box-3.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=nextag&WT.z_mc_id1=1096195&rid=40&mr:referralID=1321608c-2226-11e1-8423-001b2166becc
    http://www.basspro.com/Gun-Storage-&-Care/_/S-999052013

I will finish with saying that I am sure you were not really expecting the can of worms that gets opened when it comes to the right to own firearms. I have done follow up with past students who once the initial “new smell wears off” will no longer carry concealed, because they got tired of the responsibilities that come with it and {depending on state laws} where they cannot carry it into {Banks, Post Offices}.
  • Freshstart07
    Freshstart07 Posts: 12 Member
    I was raised with gun in my home but they were never loaded and even though I am a guy. I don't want loaded guns in my house not with kids might be different if it were just me and the wife. The gun ( I only have one) and the bullets are not kept in the same place. I know that my kids can't load the gun accidently if there curiousity gets the best of them they are still safe. True its not a protective device if someone breaks into the house but that is the price you pay for safety. And NO I don't believe that my children or your children know better that to touch things just because I told them not to and they know better blah blah blah.

Other side of the coin, he has the right to keep these things and in no way should you even consider asking him to not have them. I just think what I have proposed is a real workable compromise.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    OH HEELLLLLLLLLLLL NO!!!!!!!!

I am SO THANKFUL and GRATEFUL that gun laws are more strict here (in Canada) than in the states. The stats speak for themselves... the more guns, the more gun accidents/injuries/deaths.

Sure, I could get trained and knowledgable about proper handling and keep it locked up but I'd rather not have to bother with all those extra precautions, I would REFUSE to have guns - any type of gun - in or near my house. All it takes is one person figuring out where the keys are, or someone accidentally forgetting to lock it up properly, for something to go terribly wrong or for the gun to be used for the wrong purpose (read: suicide or killing people!! seriously). Not to mention - yes in SOME cases guns can be used maybe to save a life in a B&E situation, however.... from my understanding, most of the time its a friend or family member mistaken for an intruder that gets shot.

To repeat my previous statement oh HELLL NO

I'm sorry your country doesn't allow you the simple freedom of owning a weapon. Best to keep them out of the hands of irresponsible people.
    Incorrect. in Canada you can own a gun. You just have to take the safety course. And pass the background checks. Then the gun is registered to you. If said gun is used to shoot someone, you go to jail.
    We make it just a lot tougher than the US to obtain the guns.