Waist measurement

2»

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    For me it's where your pants/trousers sit. They don't sit around my belly button, therefore buying clothes with a waist measurement of your belly button would lead to them being too big.

Where your pants/trousers sit can vary widely depending on the rise of that particular piece of clothing, though. From below your hips to up over the belly button, depending on the style.

Really? Wow. I have no idea of fashion! Work trousers, sweat pants, all mine are exactly the same point. Just under where my belly USED to sit! XD
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    For me it's where your pants/trousers sit. They don't sit around my belly button, therefore buying clothes with a waist measurement of your belly button would lead to them being too big.

Where your pants/trousers sit can vary widely depending on the rise of that particular piece of clothing, though. From below your hips to up over the belly button, depending on the style.

Really? Wow. I have no idea of fashion! Work trousers, sweat pants, all mine are exactly the same point. Just under where my belly USED to sit! XD

Well, for men there may not be a lot of different 'rises' but for women it gets ridiculous. LOL Of course, don't men wear their pants under their gut (if they have one)? If that's the case, then is your pants size REALLY your waist size, if you have a belly but are omitting it in the measurement? Ah, the great mysteries of life and fashion. LOL
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member

Couldn't agree more. For a woman, your waist is your narrowest point. This is no more cheating than your hip measurement being the widest point.
    IMO, this is why so many females end up buying the wrong pant size.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Sorry friend but I can tell you don't know much about women's fashion and how they go about buying their pants. First off, this is not the 80s and I'm not a frumpy jeans-soccer mom who wears their pants around their armpits ;) None of my pants reach all the way to the narrowest point and many don't even reach my belly button. That style went out in the 80s. :) Second of all, no matter what the label on the pants says, I'd be crazy to buy a pair of pants without trying them on first. So I don't walk into stores with my measurements and buy based on that. No way! I have to try on each pair before buying. So yeah, where we measure our waists has nothing to do with what size pants we end up buying.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    I say at the belly button and I heard for what your wasit size is it should be half your helght in inches. So I am 5'0 59 inches and half of that is 30 inches so I have 38 inch waist so I should loose 8 inches.
    That may be a good rough guide, but I wouldn't consider it accurate down to the inch. By this I am well under my ideal waist size, and trust me that is not true.
  • angeleyez77
    angeleyez77 Posts: 45 Member
    I say at the belly button and I heard for what your wasit size is it should be half your helght in inches. So I am 5'0 59 inches and half of that is 30 inches so I have 38 inch waist so I should loose 8 inches.
    That may be a good rough guide, but I wouldn't consider it accurate down to the inch. By this I am well under my ideal waist size, and trust me that is not true.

Oh I am only mentioned that cause that is what my Boyfriends Grandma said that Dr Oz said on his show one day so I dont know. He is usually right with his medical finds and etc right? It might be a guideline for some I think.