Invest in rice maker?

2»

Replies

• We got one for a wedding gift, and I thought "I'll never use this". I grew up on min rice. And now I think it's the most used thing aside from our can opener lol. I love it- perfect brown rice every time.
  • mysteria_
    mysteria_ Posts: 44 Member
    I love my rice cooker <3 it's so easy to use!!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    I use mine quite a bit. I thought they were appliances that take up space and don't get used until I was in college. I had some Indonesian roommates that had one, and I was kind of impressed. Some of my friends had them too.

I tried cooking rice on the stove, but I could never tell when it was done, and I didn't have the patience to not lift the lid and check. Lifting the lid is the worst thing when cooking rice. Now, with my rice cooker, it flips a switch when it's done, kind of like a toaster. I also cook veggies in it.

I like to eat brown rice with a little bit of wild rice mixed in. There is so much fiber in it and you would miss out on that if you ate instant rice.

You can cook up a huge batch and ration it out over the week like you want to do.

I also love throwing veggies in the top tray to let them steam.
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 277 Member
    I got one for Christmas last year and use it about once a week.

I have all kinds of rice -- basmati, white short, brown, wild, red. It also cooks lentils, couscous to perfection.

You will lOVE it!

95981.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Susan_Marie67
    Susan_Marie67 Posts: 23 Member
    I would definitely suggest you get a rice cooker. I got one a couple months ago and love mine. I've eaten more rice in the past couple months than I've eaten in my life. It's so easy to use. You won't be sorry.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Depends how many people are in the household and how many eat rice. Rice is good but is carb condensed food so if it is only for you I'll stay only with minute rice because you need small quantities right?
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Definately get one.......

I bought a Zojirushi one from QVC years back and it gets the most use out of all the electric gadgets in our kitchen. We especially love jasmine rice in it and I haven't used Minute Rice since I bought it. We make brown rice in it as well but my family doesn't like the brown rice in it as much as they like the jasmine or white rice.

If you want, here's a recipe I've been using lately for brown rice from Alton Brown and it's made in the oven. It comes out so good and my family loves it.

1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain
    2 1/2 cups water
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the rice into an 8 inch square glass baking dish.
    Bring water, butter and salt to just a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine and cover the dish tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I have a rice cooker... It's called a pot. :laugh:

I'm not a fan of (insert food here) makers. I keep my kitchen equipment simple.