40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Hey all! Stumbled across this group while in search for support. I just turned 40 in March, I did keto last year and lost a bunch of weight. I have put about 20lbs back on, and I am getting discouraged. Any ideas on how to limit carbs, while not going crazy

I can't help you since I need carbs in my life, but I saw this thread today that has links to keto/low carb groups here on MFP.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/44053847#Comment_44053847

You could also search pinterest for keto recipes to find recipes/meal plans you like
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    jayemes wrote: »
    Hey all! Stumbled across this group while in search for support. I just turned 40 in March, I did keto last year and lost a bunch of weight. I have put about 20lbs back on, and I am getting discouraged. Any ideas on how to limit carbs, while not going crazy

I can't help you since I need carbs in my life, but I saw this thread today that has links to keto/low carb groups here on MFP.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/44053847#Comment_44053847

You could also search pinterest for keto recipes to find recipes/meal plans you like

I've had quite a bit of success with Carb Cycling. https://healthline.com/nutrition/carb-cycling-101

Right now I am doing Low Carb (under 40gm / Day) for two weeks, then Low Cal for two weeks, then back to the Low Carb. For me it works, and isn't as monotonous.
  • IMNOTHERE2HOOKUP2019
    IMNOTHERE2HOOKUP2019 Posts: 935 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hi.🙇‍♀️
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    “Focus T25 Lower Focus with the vest & INSANITY THE ASYLUM: Relief”=Done!
  • BexB42
    BexB42 Posts: 32 Member
    I definitely want in this club. However, my days are varied due to work so reporting in may take longer. I turn 47 this fall, and am healthier than I was in my 20's, although I am heavier. (Working on it!) I have lost 32 of the 80 pounds I want to shed, struggle with emotional eating and getting enough nutrients into my meals. I am cutting down on dairy, love to kickbox and walk/hike, and want to run by my birthday in November. I started C25K but realized bad running shoes at this age is a real thing! So I walk, because some movement is better than none! Hi everyone! ^v^
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I love walking and have no plans to take up running, so HI!!!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    BexB42 wrote: »
    I definitely want in this club. However, my days are varied due to work so reporting in may take longer. I turn 47 this fall, and am healthier than I was in my 20's, although I am heavier. (Working on it!) I have lost 32 of the 80 pounds I want to shed, struggle with emotional eating and getting enough nutrients into my meals. I am cutting down on dairy, love to kickbox and walk/hike, and want to run by my birthday in November. I started C25K but realized bad running shoes at this age is a real thing! So I walk, because some movement is better than none! Hi everyone! ^v^

welcome, @BexB42 .

Yep, proper running shoes can make a world of difference. I'm hoping to be able to resume running this fall as well. Look forward to hearing about your progress as a walker/hiker/runner.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    I think I got lucky and didn't break my pinky toe - I think it was just jammed. I've been icing it and the swelling is down and I'm able to put more pressure on it. Still taking the weekend off from gym classes just in case.
    Exercise today was just shy of 15k steps mostly from mowing the lawn
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Build: Shoulders"=Done!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Hey kids, this ole girl had a mixed bag with the workouts. I pulled 90 kilos on the hex bar. followed by farmer's carry 4 times, sled with 150 pounds and varied bench presses. I am sore.

Have a great weekend.
  • dadofian
    dadofian Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, I had to join this group as a 46 year old who has been reading all of your posts at least a few months. I had lost 45 pounds using MFP plus working out regularly 3x a week cardio and 2x a week weight training. I am very frustrated at the moment as I have been consistently under calorie goal for day and still consistently working out, but recently have somehow started to gain weight again! My goal each week is to lose 2 pounds per week so trying to continue to be my normal upbeat and “cool 40 plus kid” so any advice would be great. Thanks so much
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    dadofian wrote: »
    Hi, I had to join this group as a 46 year old who has been reading all of your posts at least a few months. I had lost 45 pounds using MFP plus working out regularly 3x a week cardio and 2x a week weight training. I am very frustrated at the moment as I have been consistently under calorie goal for day and still consistently working out, but recently have somehow started to gain weight again! My goal each week is to lose 2 pounds per week so trying to continue to be my normal upbeat and “cool 40 plus kid” so any advice would be great. Thanks so much

Are you weighing your food and logging everything that you eat? That is the first thing I would check. Often people are eating more calories than they realize.

You also mentioned that you are trying to lose two pounds per week. How much weight do you have left to lose? Many people find that their weight loss slows down as they near their goal. They might lose two pounds in the beginning but only a half-pound to a pound per week near the end.

• gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Build: Chest/Tris"=Done!
  • dadofian
    dadofian Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for welcoming me and the advice. I do usually know exact weight of foods I eat, but also trust labels (for example i will look at serving size for unsalted peanuts and have that exact amount). My goal is to lose about 20 more so I am over 2/3 toward goal, but trying to get there before the winter as I coach in winter which makes it very didficult to lose worthy then with hectic schedule. I hope all the cool 40 plus kids have a great week!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Had a pretty good weekend at the races! Dropped some more time, moved up to the back of the next "pack" of riders in my classes, and started to refine some skills and regain some confidence that should pretty quickly move me through that pack before too long!

So excited to finally have some good progress and be able to trust my bike and my body (my fitness still needs a lot of work, but it's making a difference already), and my confidence is improving a lot, which is pretty key to being able to finally start ticking these lap times down.

Back to the "grind" but having a good weekend in the books is great motivation to keep at it!
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Build: Legs...with sandbags & vest"=Done!
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Build: Back/Bis"=Done!