40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Happy Canada Day to all the Canadians here! 🍁 (Didn't have a Canadian flag emoji, so that maple leaf will have to do.) 😁

Rolled over the calendar to July this morning and read this quote -- "The best is yet to be." - Robert Browning

Here's hoping that is true for the second half of 2020!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,897 Member
    Thanks, altered - it was a lovely Canada Day here!

Lifting today. And cutting calories for the next 9 weeks straight. BOOM.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Uh-oh! I forgot to post yesterday...like, at all. 😳
    Yesterday was shoulders at the gym and T25 Pyramid at home.
    Today was Chest & Tris at the gym...I’ll hit T25 Rip’t circuit later.
  • Beeps2011
    That is rare as rare can be, gam3rguy...you post so regularly!

Yesterday I did a morning walk with daughter and an evening walk with husband and son. Nice. Glorious weather!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Good day kids. In the midst of my run, this darn heel spur reared its ugly head. I had to walk the rest of the way. PT starts this week to address it.

I am now a huge fan of squat university. My squats are improving without lift shoes. In fact, just socks.

I'm addressing my core strength/ ankle mobility to ensure my form is correct before adding heavier weights. The ramp up program is showing improvement in my bench and deadlifts.

I decided not to compete again until 2021. This gives me time to correct, address, improve.

Have a great day kids.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I did step and more HIIT/step/kickboxing this morning. I'll stretch later.
  • Beeps2011
    Good luck with the heel spur rehab, caramel!

Today, I lift. BOOM!
  • KatiB321
    KatiB321 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi everyone. I am 47 and work out almost every day. I mostly do cardio but I really would like to add strength training to my workout routine. Whenever I try doing strength training at home I wonder if I actually do the exercises correctly because I don't see any results. I am contemplating joining a Crossfit gym once the gyms are allowed to open again but I feel like a sissy. I don't have a lot of upper body strength and I am older than most of the members there. I don't have a lot of self-confidence and I am worried that I cannot keep up with the other people in class. Should I rather try to join a regular gym and work with a personal trainer or just get over myself and sign up for Crossfit? Sorry for being a baby about this but any advice is appreciated!
  • caramelgyrlk
    KatiB321 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I am 47 and work out almost every day. I mostly do cardio but I really would like to add strength training to my workout routine. Whenever I try doing strength training at home I wonder if I actually do the exercises correctly because I don't see any results. I am contemplating joining a Crossfit gym once the gyms are allowed to open again but I feel like a sissy. I don't have a lot of upper body strength and I am older than most of the members there. I don't have a lot of self-confidence and I am worried that I cannot keep up with the other people in class. Should I rather try to join a regular gym and work with a personal trainer or just get over myself and sign up for Crossfit? Sorry for being a baby about this but any advice is appreciated!

Hi @KatiB321. I'm one of the oldest at my Olympic weightlifting, powerlifting/strongman gym.

I hesitated for years thinking I was too old. When I started, I honestly didn't think I would last as I was out of my cardio comfort zone. I was now in the midst of long time lifters and competitors. 2 weeks in, I had made my mind up to quit because I compared myself to others. Which was/is ridiculous. They had to start somewhere and so did I.

I had personal trainers for years at a regular gym and saw some results. I started powerlifting Jan 2019 and competed for the first time 9 months later in Oct 2019. I see amazing things happening to my body as a result of lifting.

I encourage you to try the crossfit and get out of your comfort zone. I promise the confidence will come in time.

Look forward to hearing about your decision and journey.

Kym

• caramelgyrlk
    Starting T25 tonight. Wish me luck!

You got this
  • DancingMoosie
    KatiB321 wrote: »

While you wait for gyms to open, I would suggest checking out Sydney Cummings on YouTube. I am following her summertime fine program atm. She posts a new workout every day and goes over form and modifications on the exercises.
  • AllPositive1
    AllPositive1 Posts: 33 Member
    T25 total body circuit day 9 - done
  • alteredsteve175
    Gym workout this morning. Bench presses - goblet squats - stability ball pullovers - pushups.

And daily walks with the dog. Every. Day. Daisy does not understand the "rest day" concept. HAHA! 🐕😊
  • DancingMoosie
    I've got a Daisy, too! She knows the words "outside" and "eat" very well, lol. She loves to go outside, but her favorite is playing fetch with dad while I walk 2 dogs outside.
  • alteredsteve175
    I've got a Daisy, too! She knows the words "outside" and "eat" very well, lol. She loves to go outside, but her favorite is playing fetch with dad while I walk 2 dogs outside.

An MFP friend of mine just started a group for those of us whose dogs are fitness companions. You are welcome to join if you like. And anyone else who here walks or hikes with their dogs should join in, too.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/137756-dogs-companions-in-fitness
  • DancingMoosie

An MFP friend of mine just started a group for those of us whose dogs are fitness companions. You are welcome to join if you like. And anyone else who here walks or hikes with their dogs should join in, too.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/137756-dogs-companions-in-fitness

Thank you. I joined and posted!
  • AllPositive1
    AllPositive1 Posts: 33 Member
    T25 speed 1.0 - done
  • caramelgyrlk
    Hey kids, hope all is well.

PT on my heel and shoulder is going well. I can still lift with only one restriction; no overhead movement. I'll take it.

Bench and hex bar deadlifts and lots of accessory work.

Have a great day kids.
  • gam3rguy
    Chest & Tris at the gym.
  • gam3rguy
    “Focus T25: Gamma Extreme Circuit”=Done!