Blood work is in.

2»

Replies

• mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    I just started dieting 1 month ago, down 6 lbs.

My cholesterol should be 200, its 219.
    My tryglycerides are 159..borderline high.
    LDL should be 130, its 143.
    Oh, and my thyroid.............normal is from .27 to 4.2.....mine is 8.15!!!!!

With that being said, my doctor told me to go on a low carb low fat diet. I went to pick up my blood work as I need it to see another Doctor. I wanted to ask the doctor just how much, he told me to look it up online!!!!!! (unless I wanted to schedule an appointment with him so he could tell me.) The doctors office was empty. They asked me if I wanted to make an appointment, I told them...."no thanks, I will take your advice and play doctor online." with my very sarcastic New Yorker attitude.

So, I dont want to be on Atkins.......but my question to you all is....how many carbs and fat grams for the daily intake are considered to be "low?"

Anyway, thank you for letting me whine on here. Also , does the thyroid meds make you lose weight?? (that would be nice, lol)

Wishing you all a very happy and healthy New Year!!

I haven't read the above posts but...

If you have a high thyroid blood level - usually it measures your serum T3 or T4 that could mean hyperthyroidism or the initial stage of hypothyroidism, if you have hyperthyroidism your doctor would prescribe you a peroxidase inhibitor or a perchlorate - basically if you have an overactive thyroid and you are suppressing it you could expect to see some weight gain or difficulty losing weight

if you have an underactive thyroid - supplementing thyroid hormones could cause you to lose weight.

You are going to hear a varying amount of opinions on this board but you should only take advice from your doctor or another doctor, just because your thyroid levels are elevated doesn't mean thats its hyperthyroidism - the initial stage of hashimotos actually presents with high blood thyroid levels even tho its a hypothyroid condition
  • KerriMx5
    KerriMx5 Posts: 458 Member
    A good doctor is the key. I say this after having bad ones. The one I have now is great. He even emailed me with my results WITH his own comments so they would make sense.

That said I had similar results to yours. I asked for diet advice, as he said I needed to lose, and he said to get off my tail. He was nice about it though. :) That is when I joined this site. I am working on eating better and getting my workouts in EACH day. Thyroid meds have helped me have more energy. In the end though I just have to force myself to go for a walk. Really working out is the best bet, or so I was told.

Get a new doctor and see what he says. Until then get moving even when you are tired and add some fruits and veggies. Best of luck.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    First, you need a better doctor for your thyroid. I did not that your thyroid can contribute to you having a heart attack until it happened to me. Maybe you have an endocronologist (sp?) but if not, you need one asap. The thyroid controls every cell in your body. It is so important that new born babies have thyroid test when they are born because left undiagnosed in a new born can result in mental retardation. I gained a lot of weight before mine was diagnosed. I have tried everything to get the weight off and the only thing working for me is MFP. The loss is slow but at least I am not gaining and I will take every ounce I lose. Good Luck
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Please get another doctor who is more helpful. The results of your lab tests and the advice that goes along with it should have been part of the original visit where you had blood work drawn. And being started on Synthroid/levothyroxine won't necessarily make you LOSE weight, but it will make you feel better. And TSH tends to keep going up....which can be quite dangerous for your heart. Good luck to you.

All of this. Please go see another doctor - and perhaps especially an endocrinologist! You deserve better medical treatment.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Amen to that. I just started on Thyroid Meds myself and definately have more energy. I actually feel like doing something now.
  • Getting your thyroid balanced out will help you feel better but won't automatically take the weight off. You'll still have to use some will power and good eating habits to do that. Good luck.
  • JT1090
    JT1090 Posts: 79 Member
    Stick to a vegan diet or as close to it as you can get. Nuts, seeds, lentils, beans, fruits, brown rice, and veggies. This can fix nearly all of your health issues if you make it a lifestyle change with daily exercise. :smile:
  • No the Thyroid pills dont help you lose. I've been HYPO for years and the only thing that has worked for me is calorie consumption. I use to blame my thyroid but it was my over consumption and laziness on why I was fat.

Its the type of carbs not really how much. Same with fats. If your eating a large simple carb, high sugar saturated fat diet (which you probably are) You need to change to complex carbs less sugar, better fats.

You can try out a slew of "diets". South Beach, Sonoma, Meditterrian, 17 day, etc etc..

I personally did South Beach and still go back to it. I find it the easiest, least restrictve and more long term. You just need to find something that works to your life style.

Synthroid was absolutely necessary for me to lose weight. Before I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's, I was on a less than 800 calorie a day diet and I couldn't lose weight. At one point I was down to 200 calories a day with absolutely no weight loss. In logic it's called a "necessary but not sufficient" condition. As I understand it, the vast majority of people's endocrine and metabolic systems work this way.

But my favorite part was when the doctor called me a liar instead of doing HIS JOB and running a basic blood test. The OP's doctor sounds like my old one. I really hope that they get a new GP.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Stick to a vegan diet or as close to it as you can get. Nuts, seeds, lentils, beans, fruits, brown rice, and veggies. This can fix nearly all of your health issues if you make it a lifestyle change with daily exercise. :smile:

Generally a carbo-loaded vegan diet is about the most terrible idea for someone overweight with thyroid problems. They need protein and fat for the satiety factor along with some complex carbs. That's extremely difficult to achieve on a vegan diet.