WHY keep your food diary hidden?

Options

Replies

• pshalamar
    Options
    Thanks, I did find it.
  • pshalamar
    Options
    I WANT mine to be open so I'll think twice before stuffing that donut into my pie/donut/ice cream hole! Lol.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    I think I've been scared of people judging me. Like, even if I am within the right limits of calories ~ will they judge me for not eating the right sort of food etc.

Since going vegetarian I have learned that people are QUITE judgmental about food - something so simple and necessary. So I try to do open diary, but it doesn't last long. For me it's just not comfortable. Some days I eat great, some I don't, I log it ALL but definitely feel a sinking feeling when I post my not-so-good days and have my diary open. It's just me :wink:

Agreed! I quickly closed my diary when I started getting comments that were unsolicited and a little too intrusive. I know people mean well but in the excitement of having found something that works for them, some people feel the need to proselytize. I generally assume we're all intelligent people who can read about nutrition and make informed choices, and if I want someone's input, I will ask for it. If others find success in sharing all their information with the public, more power to them.
  • krista010105
    krista010105 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    mine i believe is open to anyone. and im all good with that. i dont have a problem with people seeing what i eat. not that i think anyone really cares. like you said it is a way to help be held accountable.
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    I'm sure this response is in the long list and many pages of responses, but it's my right. If people ask me to unhide it, I ask them why and then give them a passcode. Otherwise, its my business.
  • coppercurlz
    Options
    I'm just curious.....I understand if you want your page to be private. However, why keep your food diary private???? Do you do this....if so what's your reasoning? I personally think by making it viewable to friends that it hold you accountable. ;)

Because most humans like the idea that they have a choice in personal matters...
    Hence it being a *personal choice*.
  • mmowbray84
    Options
    I WOULD LIKE TO GET FOOD IDEAS FROM OTHER MEMBERS
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Because a lot of members on here are complete *kitten*.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I have mine open to friends only. I have no desire for someone to push their ideas of what a diet means on me. I have seen too many others criticized (without asking for opinions mind you) for their choices. If I ask for help, then I will open it up and expect criticism. But unwanted, unsolicited advice pisses me off, so I keep it locked except to those I have grown to know and trust. My two cents.

this
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    What I put in my body is my business. I am MORE honest with myself than with anyone else, so having a private diary works for me. If I am ever struggling and need advice, I will open it to my friends, but that isn't the case.

^This... totally and completely this.

I have NO one to be "accountable to" except myself. I used to have my diary open to friends, but was getting awfully tired of the "I can't believe you ate THAT!" comments when I would have pizza or a burger and fries from Five Guys -- especially from people who considered a pint of Ben & Jerry's to be "Dinner." Seriously?

My body, my business -- and my results speak for themselves. 'Nuff said.
  • Teliooo
    Options
    Because a lot of members on here are complete *kitten*.

and this
  • tubbstattsyrup
    tubbstattsyrup Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    MFP provides a choice.

Why question why someone has made that particular choice.

This question has been asked loads of time but no one asks why we turn off other private diary questions. For example I turned off the prompt for the number of days I have logged in and there is a reason for this but no one has asked that.
  • Teliooo
    Options
    I have no idea why anyone would do this. What's the point on being on here? I have friends look at my diary and say things about it that are so useful, and I do the same. Even if it's just to get food ideas! Those people that have their diaries closed will not be as successful or are missing out huge.

Uhh, the point of being here is to lose weight, not to have idiots telling you what to do, to make themselves feel better. How do you kowo that the y will not be sucessful or are missing out? I managed to lose over 100 pounds without ever once countinga calorie.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I think some people don't like the idea of disclosing something so personal; it's a way to avoid judgement (which of course wouldn't happen here, but it's a valid concern). Some people probably don't know how to make their diary public.

^THIS^
    I used to keep mine private. I think with people that are really heavy like me are embarrassed by their
    calorie intake amount and also could be dependent on the food they have available to them.
    My husband has been unemployed since summer 2009. He found (what we thought) was a great job in October, until his boss started shorting him pay &/or not paying him at all. (we waited 6 weeks for this last paycheck).
    Now he's back to looking for work again. So we're on that "college food" budget.
    i.e.: mac n' cheese, pb&j sammies, ramen.... cheap eats, processed & loaded with sodium etc. =/

I know what's healthy and we buy what we can in that department.
    I'm here to lose weight, for support & to support others.
    When I opened my diary to "friends only" I said that if anyone wanted to judge or criticize my diary then I will say BUH-BYE to them. No one needs judgement or criticism. We're all here for the same thing and I don't think anyone would enjoy some1 dogging them for what they should be eating. That sort of behavior would turn any1 to keep their diary private.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I open food diary MFP for accountability purposes but I always notice that when you expose your personal diet like this people tend to become critics or a dieticians. Some of the remarks that I endure seem to be back handed comments or judgments but I take it as a grain of salt. I always notice that the people doing the most commenting are those that don't even have their own journal open. It's whatever at this point.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Mine is accessed by password by my friends if they want to see it

My diary is for my information only
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I have mine open to friends only. I have no desire for someone to push their ideas of what a diet means on me. I have seen too many others criticized (without asking for opinions mind you) for their choices. If I ask for help, then I will open it up and expect criticism. But unwanted, unsolicited advice pisses me off, so I keep it locked except to those I have grown to know and trust. My two cents.

This for me, too.
  • sharpei65
    sharpei65 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    People have different ways of approaching weight loss (the main reason most of us are here) and whether or not you have your food diary open or closed is down to preference.

I happily have mine private and don't feel I'm missing out or being unsuccesful but I can understand others who want feedback on what they are eating or hwo they are exercising.

It takes me all my time maintaining my own diary and I have no desire or time to look at other people's diaries.
    That said, if a friend opened up their diary and asked for advice I'd have a look and do my best to help. Similarly, if I was wanting advice I would do the same, but thats the only reason why.

I can't see the appeal of looking at food diaries of strangers or receiving comments on my own diary from strangers giving me unwanted advice.........thats just weird to me!!

I'm amazed how much this debate there is on this topic!!

Good luck with your choice and your weight loss!!

:-)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Agree with this person if I'm honest. Many people feel free to attack you personally and I don't like it. All my friends can view my diary, coz they know what's going on with me and when so they can support me if its a bad day, knowing the facts not just attack me. Nit happened to me, but seen it happen to others and its not pretty. X
  • pcarbo3
    pcarbo3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private because I'm not really interested in people looking at it and commenting on it. Also, I've discovered that it's not about whether I hold myself accountable to other people, it's about whether I'm accountable to myself. Whether my profile is private or public, if i'm not being honest with my entries, I'm the only one who suffers. I need to be honest and truthful with myself, and I really don't need anyone else's opinion on my food habits. I'm all for motivating each other, but I also need to work on caring less about what other people think of me, and this is one way I'm doing that.