WHY keep your food diary hidden?

Options

Replies

• mroper
    mroper Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do not understand this either. It would hold you more accountable for logging and what you are eating...big difference if eating 1200 calories of candy versus 1200 of more nutritious food. Or if your calorie intake is soooo low, you don't want people to see that you aren't eating..anorexia...or go the other way and eat so much to the point of bulemia....I don't mind people looking at mine, gives others ideas for food if you get in a rut... I love getting new food ideas...makes me also think twice about eating something if I have to log it. If you cheat on here and don't write it down, you are only hurting yourself...noone else. You don't get to be 200 plus pounds by eating "healthy"....enough said.

And you dont keep from getting 200 plus pounds by opening your diary for public view. :smile: I got to 200 plus pounds by not exercising, eating more calories than I needed, drinking too many sodas, etc. What works for you doesnt work for everyone. I am glad that logging calories and leaving it open helps you but it doesnt necessarily work for me. I have a lot to lose though so maybe when i get down to only needing to lose 30 or so pounds it will be more important that I log it all precisely. I just dont think people should be judged based on whether they log or dont log, keep it hidden or not, etc. I understand the OP was asking why people choose to keep it hidden but several others have commented and judged other based on their preferences. "Cant we all just get along" :laugh:
  • jersanter
    jersanter Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm actually looking to get back up to 200lbs. No need to be held accountable for that. Gaining weight is easy. I'm on my fitness pal because I'm trying to do it the healthy way.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Just trying to get the reply count to 500
  • jankcarter
    Options
    well, in my case, I don't know how to "unhide" it.....still trying to navigate the system....
  • spazzticaunt
    Options
    I keep mine private atm because I'm not comfortable with sharing my information yet. But I think that will change once I get used to using the system.
  • Iwillbemeagain
    Options
    Mine private because Im doing whats right for me but may not be right for the next person and it may appear unhealthy.. not enough calories...
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to my friends. We encourage each other and share ideas. Having 80-something people available to comment on my diary is enough, I don't need all of MFP weighing in. LOL
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    What I put in my body is my business. I am MORE honest with myself than with anyone else, so having a private diary works for me. If I am ever struggling and need advice, I will open it to my friends, but that isn't the case.

The exact reason mine is private too. I am more capable than anyone of holding myself accountable for my own actions
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This debate puzzles me to no end.

1st & foremost I don't think anyone should have to justify why or why not they let people see thier food diary.

Then on the other side, unless you are eating stray cats, paint chips or dirt, why would you care to hide what you eat? Do any of you never eat in a public place for fear someone might see?

And on the other side of that, why would ANYONE care about what a random person on the internet eats and want to look it up and give thier opinion on it, is just beyond me. I don't understand either side of the debate.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Mine is kept private because what I put into my body is private to me. I am a very private person. It doesn't mean I'm eating nothing but Snickers bars all day long - it just means I don't feel comfortable with everyone knowing every single thing I place inside my body. To me it's like posting photos of my bowel movements for all to see --- really freaks me out. To each their own though. I've had lots of friends ask me why I keep mine private and I just think it's my own business.

You bring up a great point. Heck, it might sound gross/weird, but there have been times when I was actually TRACKING bowel movements in the notes section, because I was having some digestive issues and wanted to get regular. I also use the notes to track my TOM.

Even if I didn't use my notes for those things, I still would keep my food diary public. But mostly, really, who here needs to know things about me like that?
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I don't want everyone to know that I eat pink tacos
  • tattooedtealady
    tattooedtealady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Mine is public. Because at the end of the day so long as I stay within my available calories, I have nothing to hide? I doubt any one would be that bothered to look at what I have eaten and judged me, unless I was exceptionally over my calorie intake which then I would actually find it justified and helpful for someone to make comment. To me, having it public also motivates me to be completely honest about what I have eaten and it pushes me to try my hardest BECAUSE other people can see what I have eaten and when I do exercise, how much.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I don't want everyone to know that I eat pink tacos

LMAO Now that was unexpected.....
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Because a lot of members on here are complete *kitten*.
    Meaning that those of us that keep it private are??? Really. :bigsmile:

I'm an @$$hole with a public diary :happy:

Come on 500 posts!
  • Tivonapretty
    Tivonapretty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    They may not realize that it's hidden. I need for yall to tell me that eating over 1200 calories is bad, or offer suggestion for filling meal ideas instead of eating empty or unfilling calories. I love this site!
  • Jeff92se
    Options
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why anyone would do this. What's the point on being on here? I have friends look at my diary and say things about it that are so useful, and I do the same. Even if it's just to get food ideas! Those people that have their diaries closed will not be as successful or are missing out huge.

That is the biggest load of crap I've read since being on MFP.
  • lesha_cole
    Options
    @Jeff92se I don't want everyone to know that I eat pink tacos

That comment make me spit my water out lol. I didn't even know my diary was locked until I looked for mine. I do understand why some would want their's locked, but I don't like being in a rut foodwise so hopefully my friends will give me suggestions for new recipes
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I love browsing my friends dairies for new ideas -I am still experimenting with food to keep it as health as possible and those that have been here a bit longer are handy to glance over. I commented on a friends dairy the other day and got a nice message back about japanese sweet potato and I will be looking out for it next time I go shopping.

In saying that, if I see someone that is constantly under calories by a large amount - I say nothing, but am always surprised by the about of cheerleading they get - but I don't know if they are cheering on as someone is improving if they are in recovery from a ED and what I think looks worrying may actually be an improvement. I don't think it's my place as what do I know?

I wouldn't make a negative comment, except that I have praised twice now when someone has gone over their calorie count to offset the mega amounts of exercise they have done on previous days - but I felt that I talked enough with the people that they would'nt interpret at me being over intrusive.

the more I read the forums, the more I want to pull back and not post as much just in case I say the wrong thing unintentionally. Hand on heart when I post a "well done :)" or "great session - 60 mins that's fab" i really do mean it - some of the exercise achieved by folk on here is inspiring and many of us are struggling to form new and good habits and I think that should be acknowledged - now I am worried that people think I am a vacuous cheerleader that just posts innane catchphrases lol - I guess if my friends list goes down then I will know hehehe
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I didn't think this topic could continue on as it has.

It's a simple question. There are no tomatoes waiting to be thrown at someone for choosing not to share his or her diary. It's okay. Really.

But if you must, carry on.