What's in your lunch box???

2»

Replies

• ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    I always cook lunches for the week on Sunday. This week, I'm making bean and cheese burritos and a chickpea curry with orange vegetables. I like to cook at least one extra serving, so I have something just in case I don't get the chance to cook next weekend, or if I don't feel like cooking dinner one night and I usually make two different lunches for the week (one for Monday, Wednesday and Friday and one for Tuesday and Thursday). Sometimes I do a dry rub on chicken thighs and use those in a salad, on top of baked sweet potatoes with a honey mustard dressing or in a pita with veggies. I also like chili on top of baked sweet potatoes, a picnic of boiled eggs, veggie sticks and hummus, roasted chicken and vegetables, and veggie hummus sandwiches when all else fails. If you just take an hour or two on Saturday or Sunday and then freeze everything, you're set for the week, and if you make extra, in a few weeks, you'll have enough for a whole other week. I also take fruit for snacks (an apple and a banana) with peanut butter or cheese or nuts, so I have a little protein with my snacks and they seem to keep me full for longer. Sorry for the length of this post, haha. I can't shut up!
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    the entire last school year i would take grilled salmon over a baby spinach based salad (with grape tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, chic peas, etc depending on my mood and how much time i had).

i always kept a pkg of arnold's sandwich thins or thomas' whole grain english muffins in the fridge at work and would eat one with my salad if i was feeling particularly hungry, or if i got in a lunchtime workout and needed the additional calories.

i would grill the salmon for the week on sunday so throwing the lunch together took under 2 minutes.

this year however, i dont know why but i cant get myself to eat that everyday, so my lunch varies with some good and some not so good choices....
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    I pack.

oatmeal and craisins for breakfast
    cut up veg for snack
    lunch of salad or leftovers or something I've bulk cooked and frozen in single servs
    yogurt and fruit for afternoon snack.
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    I pack my lunch 95% of the time. I do lettuce wraps, carrot sticks, hard boiled eggs, salads, berry salad (strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries) and tomato & cucumber salad are my favorites.
  • I'm boring and I pack the same thing most of the time. I like making a yogurt concoction made of:
    -1 cup fage greek 0% yogurt
    -I scoop vanilla whey protein
    -half cup raspberries
    -one banana

So good and filling all mixed up. About 360 calories and about 42g protein!
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Not sure what life will be like in the classroom for me, but you must have a moment or two in the mid-day to throw a couple of raw unsalted almonds in your mouth? Or a few grapes?

I personally try to eat 5 times a day, but my job gets in the way. I'd love a mid-morning break!

Maybe try a turkey/avacado wrap or yogurt/fruit mix at 10:30 (I like the suggestion above)

Then bring any kind of fruit like banana or apple or grapes, sliced pinapple or cantelope for the noon time,

Also portioned (because it's easy to overeat) almonds (12 almonds = approx 100 calories) or even if you really need a good quality protein bar for the mid-afternoon.
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    I pack a salad most days with my own dressing, a greek yogurt (this is usually a late afternoon snack), and a piece of fruit.

Salad this week:
    2c Mediterranean Blend Salad
    ~8 grape tomatoes
    2 oz chicken
    1 oz fresh mozzerella perlini

Vinegarette(sp?):
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 tsp balsamic vinegar
    1 tsp lemon juice
    turn or salt
    turn of pepper
    pinch of ground mustard

Toppings change from week to week but with salads be careful with toppings. They can add up fast.