How do we feel about Crossfit?

1235»

Replies

• LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    No, we are not a cult! Now sit down, shut up, & drink your Kool-Aid!
    :wink:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,177 Member
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQmzBkKJcLFVoZmJcAvx4r4n3Lwq15KmDsCzABA1iZ92brapmDDA
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    I'm not keen on paying $120, or more, a month, to do a workout I can do at another gym for $20-$40 a month.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 715 Member
    Here is a good article about Crossfit that point out some issues that your local Crossfit gym probably won't tell you

http://hometeamfitnessblog.com/why-i-hate-crossfit/

Of course it is up to you, but I would not recommend staying on the Paleo diet that many Crossfit coaches push for long. Whole grains and beans are an important part of our nutrition, and when you take them out of your diet, you might be missing some important nutrients. Besides, archeologists around the world have discovered that our ancestors have been eating grains and beans for as long as humans have been farming -- which was pretty close to the stone age.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member
    The main problem I see with Crossfit is this. You improve a motor pathway, i.e. a lift or exercise, by consistently doing it. When you're doing Crossfit, you're doing a different WOD, and may not do Deadlifts one day and not do them again for weeks. How are you supposed to increase on these lifts if you rarely do them?
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 715 Member
    I don't think I will EVER understand the appeal of Crossfit. It's extreme and people are sore for days after a workout. And it's WAY too expensive for what you get out of it.

I sure am sorry to see Reebok connecting with them. Now I will have to stop buying their products and boycott Reebok.
  • I haven't heard a criticism of Crossfit here yet that made an ounce of sense if you're serious about getting in shape.

"It makes your muscles hurt." Yeah, that's what happens when you actually work out.
    "It's too intense." Yeah, that's what happens when you actually work out.
    "They push you too hard." You do that for yourself when you actually work out.
    "It's too expensive." How much is fitness worth to you? For me, it's worth the cost of my box. But you go ahead and save your money -- and stay fat.

Every criticism I've read sounds like it's coming from someone who wants to do things the easy way, who wants to lose weight without actually sacrificing anything, who wants to get fit without actually getting off the couch, who wants to get the benefits of exercise without actually DOING the exercise.

It's all about commitment and effort. If you're committed to making an effort in losing weight and getting in shape, you understand Crossfit. If you're not ... you don't.