New kid on the block...help!

Options
Greetings, ok I've tried some things before, but I really need to get serious and change my eating habits...lose some weight and exercise more. I have all good reasons to do so...but being consistent is hard...I'm busy and it is difficult to maintain another schedule. So how does everyone keep this a priority in their life? Maybe I'll learn something new here that will help...

Dan

Replies

• dansing
    dansing Posts: 2
    Options
    Greetings, ok I've tried some things before, but I really need to get serious and change my eating habits...lose some weight and exercise more. I have all good reasons to do so...but being consistent is hard...I'm busy and it is difficult to maintain another schedule. So how does everyone keep this a priority in their life? Maybe I'll learn something new here that will help...

Dan
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    welcome dan! :flowerforyou: i believe being on MFP is the first big step. being loyal to logging your food, drinking your water, and excercise are key of course. try to pre-plan meals if you are on the go. read the message boards and try to find topics that pertain to you and your questions/concerns. and dont give up! you can do it! :drinker:
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think logging your intake is a huge key. I don't think we are aware of some of the things we regularly eat and how much is too much. My Mom just joined and she flipped about the number of calories she'd been eating in fruit. I mean we all know that fruit is good for you, but it's a lot of calories if you eat it all day long. For me it was mindless snacking with the kids. It's different for everyone, but being aware of what you eat makes a big difference and this site will help you get a hold on that.
  • hartkid13
    hartkid13 Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

I work out first thing in the morning. It is the only time I know I can be consistent. The rest of my day may be hectic, but the first part stays the same.

The last thing I do at night is prepare my meals for the next day. I box up my breakfast, lunch, and snacks in between. This helps me avoid the temptation to pick up something for one of those meals that isn't healthy. I then log my meals so I can see how things are shaping up.

The third and most critical thing I have is a friend who holds me accountable. I know she is going to ask me how it is going and specifically what I'm doing. That helps me stay on track as I don't like other people knowing when I mess up. For the record, though, she is very supportive.

I hope these have helped you in some way. If you would like to know more, feel free to ask.
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options
    I think logging your intake is a huge key. I don't think we are aware of some of the things we regularly eat and how much is too much. My Mom just joined and she flipped about the number of calories she'd been eating in fruit. I mean we all know that fruit is good for you, but it's a lot of calories if you eat it all day long. For me it was mindless snacking with the kids. It's different for everyone, but being aware of what you eat makes a big difference and this site will help you get a hold on that.
    So true!! I used to think that I was eating a "safe" amount of calories until I tracked them, then I found out that I was eating over 2,000 a day, and couldn't figure out why I wasn't loosing weight. Tracking your calories helps you make aware of what goes in your mouth. The key is squeezing in even a half an hour a day of exercise...you can do it!!!! Best to you

Rick
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Once you make your health your #1 priority, the rest is easy! :smile:

Welcome & good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. You will love this site if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice, helpful and friendly. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey, you can do this. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: