My Plateau Nutrition Story, Learn from my mistakes.

Replies

• Wow...when I started to look around on here as to why my stupid scale hasn't moved even an ounce for weeks I never in a million years would have expected to find this! I just spent a good chunk of time reading all 18 PAGES of this! Amazing. Think I may give this a try and see if it gets things moving in the right direction. Will try to check back early next month with an update. Want to be sure I give it plenty of time! :) Thanks for all of the wonderful information that has been shared!!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Bump for further delving later.
  • Thanks for sharing. I'll remember when I don't feel like eating my workout calories back.
  • Yes, yes, yes--AWESOME!--and THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Thanks for posting and reaffirming what I'm currently going through. I've lost 72 lbs, but have been stuck at 72 lbs for about 3 months and it's driving me NUTS! I recently took a few days to eat maintenance calories (boy, that was harder than I expected) then set my goals to 1lbs/week and have been faithful to eating my full allotment of calories. This is just the first week I've been trying this, and I weigh in tomorrow, so hopefully I'll see a little movement - in the right direction!
  • auhala
    auhala Posts: 8 Member
    BUMP
  • AWelden2012
    AWelden2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Bump
  • FlexAppeal79
    FlexAppeal79 Posts: 146 Member
    OP----This is an EPIC WIN!!! :happy:
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Great post! Thanks for sharing all of that! :drinker:
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    I googled the method this poster mentioned and found a calculator with some great info.

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm
    Wow what a response! I'm glad I'm not the only one who was/is/did suffer from this same problem. I'll gladly answer all of your questions here
    THANK YOU for posting this. This is what I've been going through. I have 9.5 lbs to my goal & have upped my work out intensely (from Tae Bo to Insanity) and kept my calories at what MFP has put me - 1200. Usually, a little lower. Well, I burn close to 1000 calories with Insanity and when you mentioned your Net & that was what your body was running off of, I checked mine. Today it's a big ol' 97. Yes. 97. NO WONDER I have stayed at the same weight within 0.5 lb for the last 5 days. I've lost, in total 228 lbs (97 lbs lost in 2004, then 2 pregnancies - 77 lbs gained & lost with one, 54 lbs with the other) and this is the first time I've been really flummoxed and frustrated about my weight loss & have hit a wall. Now the dilemma: It's 8:26pm, should I be eating something to get my calories up? If so, what?
    I've just joined MFP and I wonder if it's the calorie counting to the extreme that's making me go so low in calories; all the other times I've been roughly adding them in my head & been successful. Interesting.

THANK YOU for sharing this!
    I would say you must figure this out Chevitz. The Katch McArdle way to figure out your calories is wideley regarded as the most accurate way to determine your caloric needs for your body to LOSE weight. I'll give you the formula you fill in the blanks.

I'll use myself as an example:

First your need to figure out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). This is the amount of calories you burn if you lie in bed all day, comatose.

The equation:
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM(kg)) (Lean Body Mass is calculated by taking your TOTAL WEIGHT x Body Fat %)
    Example - I'm currently 200lbs with 16% BF. 200 x .16 = 32 (I carry 32lbs of fat with me currently)
    LBM = 200lbs - 32lbs BF = 168 Lean Body Mass
    Now we must convert that to Kilograms. Just google "lbs to kg" and you'll get a converter.
    168lbs = 76.20kg
    21.6 * 76.20kg = 1646 + 370 = 2016BMR
    My BMR is 2016 if I were to lay in a bed all day I would burn at least 2000 calories roughly. "But how does that tell me how much I should eat?" Glad you asked :)

We now take BMR * activity level = Maintenance Calories

Average activity variables are:
    1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise + desk job)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)

Example: My BMR * my activity level 1.55 (I workout 5 days a week for 50 - 70 minutes) = 3125 Maintenance Calories (How many calories I should eat a day to maintain my current body build and weight) My advice is that you are very honest about you're daily schedule, taking into account what you do for a living. I picked 1.55 because I'm walking around all day standing and working out 5 days a week 1.55 felt right.

Maintenance Calories = 3125

Now that we know my maintenance calories it's time to CUT IT for the fat burn. Most people will say "Cut it by 500 calories blah blah blah" Well since some of you have mentioned your eating 1200, you couldn't cut it to 700 or you would literally slowly die inside. Rather, pick a % that you want to shave off. Most choose 20% off your Maintenance I chose 30% because it's working well for me. The most important thing if you pay attention to your body fat %.

My Cut Calories = 2187 I rounded up 2200

It is extremely important that you're eating your 2200 calories everyday. Thinking that you're doing great by eating 1500 or 1700 is really not great, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. You're body will adapt, get use to 1500 calories and you'll get stuck. Eating at your goal will promote weight loss, promote a faster metabolism, coupled with working out you'll be hitting your goals in NO TIME! Be patient!

Quick Blurb about Macros: Macros are your most important nutrients that makeup your calories. I hate that MFP has it set up with % because your body doesn't care if you get 40% Protein 30% Carbs yadda yadda. You really should be able to calculate your own macros P F C

Protein: I would recommend you stick with the bodybuilders recommendations with protein.
    1 - 1.15g total weight (if your body fat is average)
    1 - 1.5g per lb of LEAN BODY MASS (if you know your body fat and calculated your LBM as stated above)
    Each GRAM of Protein is 4 calories. I eat 200g of protein everyday which is = to 800 of my 2200 calories.

Fat: IS NOT THE DEVIL! STOP! "Fat Free this Fat Free that, OH GOOD I'll load my face with fat free ice cream" Nope. Fat is NECESSARY for the body to maintain health and it even helps burn fat! You need to pick the GOOD fats, Poly and Mono are great fats for the body.
    Average Body Fat - .45 - 1g total body weight (if you don't know your bodyfat)
    High BodyFat - .45 - 1g total LEAN BODY MASS (if you know your bodyfat you'll know your LBM)
    Each GRAM of Fat is 9 calories. I eat 92.4g of fat in my diet which is = to 832 of my 2200 calories.

Now add those two up 832 calories from fat + 800 calories from protein = 1632
    Now take 2200 - 1632 = 568 calories left for Carbs

Carbohydrates: Oh no! You'll get fat if you eat these! Ennnhhhhhh Wrong. If you're active, an althlete, or working out 5 days a week with weights you're going to need these to FEED THAT MUSCLE!

Carbs are my left over calories 568 divided by 4 = 142g
    Considering I'm lifting 5 days a week 142g a day is pathetic so rather then settle for that I choose to take some of my fat down to compensate in the carb department. After all each g of fat is 9 calories so I can get a little over 2g of carbs if I steal it back from fat! Confused?

Example I said 92.4g of fat in my above. I won't eat that much fat, lets cut it to 80g of fat. 92.4 - 80 = 12.4g * 9 calories in each gram = 112 calories (rounded up) available for relocation
    112 / 4 = 28g extra for carbs :) I went from 142g to 170g (thank GOD). Even that is a little low, so don't freak out if you have a lower fat day, workout hard in the gym and you substitute for some HEALTHY carbs.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    LORD HAVE MERCY!!!!! I tell people this (AND I LEARNED THE HARD WAY MYSELF) and they just don't believe me. I was STUCK at 160 ish forever...I just kept bouncing up and down 3lbs until I read "New Rules of Lifting Weights for Women"...I bumped my non-workout cal to 1800 which is about my maintenance calories and on workout days I eat at least 200 more (usually more like 400-500 more) and SEVEN WEEKS LATER I AM DOWN a solid 6lbs. I lift heavy and do high cardio burns too...who would have ever thought that it was because I wasn't eating. I changed my carbs to 40%, 30%prot, 30%fat and fiber at 30gr or higher. This has changed my life. I am leaning out and the first noticeable place was a nice inch off the waistline. AND I NO LONGER CARB BINGE, feel hunger, because I eat 6 meals a day. What a wonderful revelation. I have had a few that finally got off the little 1200, 1300 calorie diets and they are seeing the same results. Your body can't build muscle or loose fat when there is no fuel...oh and I always drink a big protein drink after every workout. I hope that anyone that wants to give up (and that was me...I was so close to throwing in the towel) would give it a try...IT WORKS!
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    thank you for this post :)
    i found about this a week ago and i'm trying to eat more because i'm on plateau right now :/
    and i've already did this and it really works!
  • bump for later
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    LORD HAVE MERCY!!!!! I tell people this (AND I LEARNED THE HARD WAY MYSELF) and they just don't believe me. I was STUCK at 160 ish forever...I just kept bouncing up and down 3lbs until I read "New Rules of Lifting Weights for Women"...I bumped my non-workout cal to 1800 which is about my maintenance calories and on workout days I eat at least 200 more (usually more like 400-500 more) and SEVEN WEEKS LATER I AM DOWN a solid 6lbs. I lift heavy and do high cardio burns too...who would have ever thought that it was because I wasn't eating. I changed my carbs to 40%, 30%prot, 30%fat and fiber at 30gr or higher. This has changed my life. I am leaning out and the first noticeable place was a nice inch off the waistline. AND I NO LONGER CARB BINGE, feel hunger, because I eat 6 meals a day. What a wonderful revelation. I have had a few that finally got off the little 1200, 1300 calorie diets and they are seeing the same results. Your body can't build muscle or loose fat when there is no fuel...oh and I always drink a big protein drink after every workout. I hope that anyone that wants to give up (and that was me...I was so close to throwing in the towel) would give it a try...IT WORKS!

AMEN SISTA!!! lol. I love your post :o) I can't wait to get to 6 or 8 weeks on this plan and see what results I get. It's only been a month and I've gotten off my plateau, lost a few inches over all. WIN!! :o)
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Bump, to read tonight
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    What method of calculating body fat do you use? I'm clueless about that.

Katch McArdle method
  • Wow Thanks for the info and the inspiring post.
  • allie0630
    allie0630 Posts: 139 Member
    Okay, can we talk about MACROS
    I've finally gotten my BMR and TDEE figured and have changed my daily calories.

However...I'm still fuzzy on the macros. MFP breaks down the carbs/fats/proteins and whatever else you want to keep track of. Are the numbers at the bottom of your food log the number of grams? Because, if so, I am SO FAR OFF of what I need to be doing.

Also... anyone have some ideas for good protein, carbs, fats
  • MrsFelton2010
    MrsFelton2010 Posts: 339 Member
    Great job at gettin HEALTHY and ive upped my cals to 1400 and still struggle mentaly with eating back more when I workout but I am working on it. I had to learn about NET calories to see I was barely eating. This is a process and we all have to learn one day at a time. I hope a lot of people get to see your post.
  • fishndad
    fishndad Posts: 102 Member
    Thanks for sharing :o) I'm a total believer in eating more calories. I used a website to calculate my TDEE and subracted a deficit from there. Like you said "feed muscle, burn fat" once I went up a few hundred from 1200 I'm happier, healthier, have more energy and am acutally starting to lose the 1lb a week I've set myself to do. Eat more people!!