Nutrition on long rides

2»

Replies

• and my blocks/beans had melted into this gooey disgusting sludgy mass of nastiness. I spent the first half of the bike leg having to dip my fingers into this sludge, and pull out fingerfulls of goo. It was revolting. It took me months before I could eat them again.
    Ha ha, sounds like the gels :laugh:
  • horsessrb
    horsessrb Posts: 13 Member
    Stinger Waffles are hands down the best thing I've found to carry on rides. A few of these and some shot blocks kept me going through a century.

If you live in Europe, you can find similar waffle cookies in a tube (not individually wrapped) at the market and they're very inexpensive. Since I can't find them in the states, Lance Armstrong gets all of my money.

Stinger Waffles: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F1LNDI/ref=asc_df_B004F1LNDI1882409?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B004F1LNDI
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    I've tried a lot of things but when someone I was on a ride with gave me whole grain fig newtons I was hooked. I've been taking more and more "natural" foods and less gels and bars. We take bananas, peanut butter crackers, or a pb &j. Things like that.
  • I am going to try making my own stuff this year...bought a book called "The Feed Zone Cookbook" that looks like it has some good ideas.

For rides over 30, I usually have Hammer Heed in one of my water bottles. For longer rides I will take a refill of the powder (100 cal/scoop). It is not too sweet and sits well for me. The Shot Blocks and Honey Stinger equivalent work well too.

If I need something more substantial than just sugar, I love the Bonk Breaker Bars. They are dairy and gluten free and no digestions problems what so ever. Problem is they are TOO good and expensive.

I just picked up this cookbook and love it so far! I also orded some of the Secret Drink mix and it's been very kind to my stomach. I've tried Lim's rice bars on rides and had no trouble with them.