But, won't I like get bulky if I lift weights????

1235»

Replies

• Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Just go to the bathroom before your do your jacks, or use a tampon.

That's... not how tampons work :P

duct tape a balloon down there?

:laugh: :laugh:
    omg almost spit my water out when I read that...really?? That makes me giggle a lot
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I like when guys see me lifting and they think oh no way.. that girl can't lift all that. and then I do.

Even my trainer said during our last session, I never realized how strong you're legs were... We def. need to increase the weight we are using!
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    I can totally relate^

Whenever i do snatches or C&J all the curl bros just watch and wondering why I am able to gain more than them
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Let's face it. Neither one of those is going to happen.

I lift heavy. I will get healthier and stronger, and burn more fat, but which compound exercise exactly will give me those boobs and hair?
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    So, just to be clear...when new people come to the site and don't know all the in's and out's of exercise and fitness, and said new person asks a question...they can count on being mocked. Check. Got it now. Thanks.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Lady hulk is pretty hot! By this time next year I hope to look like picture #2 in the original post. I should print her picture and put it on my fridge.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    So, just to be clear...when new people come to the site and don't know all the in's and out's of exercise and fitness, and said new person asks a question...they can count on being mocked. Check. Got it now. Thanks.

But... the OP started this thread a few minutes before you posted about not wanting to bulk. It's not about you! :smile:

It's a topic we see a lot. It's a very common misconception that a lot of people here would like to dispel. I felt the same way... I had big arms and big legs and thought that heavy weights would make them bigger. I'm very happy to have been proven wrong.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    The thing is i actually feel my body is getting bigger and 'bulkier', the scale is up too. I've been told my arms are bigger and i'm more muscular to look at. I don't want to look big...i'm only 5ft. It's starting to get me down a bit even though my strength, power and recovery rates are improving.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    The thing is i actually feel my body is getting bigger and 'bulkier', the scale is up too. I've been told my arms are bigger and i'm more muscular to look at. I don't want to look big...i'm only 5ft. It's starting to get me down a bit even though my strength, power and recovery rates are improving.
    The thing is i actually feel my body is getting bigger. It's starting to get me down a bit even though my strength, power and recovery rates are improving.
    The thing is i actually feel my body is getting bigger. my strength, power and recovery rates are improving.
    my strength, power and recovery rates are improving.

i'm focusing on this sentence.
  • 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    There are different types of exercise you can do. If you use a lighter weight and high reps you won't put on as much size. But putting on muscle requires a lot of effort. Arnold said it best, when people are learning how to play golf, they never say "I want to be good, but not as good as Tiger Woods", but when they work with weights they say "I don't want to get too big". Firstly, it takes a lot of work to bulk up to a point that would be unsexy, and second if you train correctly you can avoid it. Muscles need to be continually stressed at higher and higher weights to get bigger, they are adapting to a stressor. Don't increase your weight, your adaptation will slow and plateau. The gains you get initially, and the rate of those gains don't continue in a linear way.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    There are different types of exercise you can do. If you use a lighter weight and high reps you won't put on as much size. But putting on muscle requires a lot of effort. Arnold said it best, when people are learning how to play golf, they never say "I want to be good, but not as good as Tiger Woods", but when they work with weights they say "I don't want to get too big". Firstly, it takes a lot of work to bulk up to a point that would be unsexy, and second if you train correctly you can avoid it. Muscles need to be continually stressed at higher and higher weights to get bigger, they are adapting to a stressor. Don't increase your weight, your adaptation will slow and plateau. The gains you get initially, and the rate of those gains don't continue in a linear way.

In other words, keep going and i will reach a point where my body will adjust and this will i suppose be the 'norm'?
  • Women don't (naturally) have the hormones required to produce big muscle.... but that doesn't mean that lifting weights isn't good exercise! (The woman at the top has probably been putting testosterone on her shredded wheat.)
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Let's face it. Neither one of those is going to happen.

I lift heavy. I will get healthier and stronger, and burn more fat, but which compound exercise exactly will give me those boobs and hair?

the bank exercise - boob job + hair extensions.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,284 Member
    Absolutely agree. I hate that woman are afraid of lifting. Strong and toned is the new sexy
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Strong and toned is the new sexy

Agreed. The chic in picture 2 is hot.
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    REGVS.jpg

Another one for ya....this one kinda scared me a little...think I peed...

LOL haaa, yes, that made my day :)
  • 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    More or less. Your body will adapt to the stressor you put it through. There are different types of muscle fibers that are able to produce energy either with or without oxygen, the lighter weights will work those oxidative fibers and this will increase the amount of resting contraction in those muscle, or in other words, muscle tone. As aprillamark said, women tend not to have the hormones is large enough quantities to produce large muscles, but even if you did (as some women do), it would take dedicated effort to get big, that's why every second guy doesn't have a muscular build, even at the gym. It is hard dedicated work. Pump classes and the like are great, they are aerobic, but enough weight work to build some tone.
  • yeah. this theory that lifting weights will turn people into monsters is so absurd! lol as though you will wake up one morning and will have your muscles doubled in size! (i wish) it takes time and its gradual, even if you did start feeling bulky you can just cut back before you look like arnie! :]
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member

But how are your clothes fitting?

My arms are more muscular to look at, but I think that's a good thing. Instead of looking like a Ball Park Frank ("plumps when you cook it") with no shape, or alternately, like a spaghetti noodle like they did when I was skinny years ago, there's a hint of a deltoids and biceps. And the shirts that were way too tight across my upper arms fit beautifully now.
  • I can totally relate^

Whenever i do snatches or C&J all the curl bros just watch and wondering why I am able to gain more than them

Nothing quite like a good snatch :) haha I couldn't resist...speaking of Snatch I got a new PR the other day 140# woot woot doing the happy dance!! Just had to share!