Replies

• ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I am the same way!
  • bassett8807
    bassett8807 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, I lost most of my weight right away in the upper body. But after the 25 lb marker I started to shrink in the lower body and the upper started plateauing. So you will be all nice and even when you get to your goal! Don't worry. :D
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Yeah I weight 179lbs, my ribs are starting to stick out but past my waist, I'm still chunky... so weird.
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who said running helps! I've lost about 94 pounds and I'm down from a size 2X on top to a medium and from a 22W bottom to about a 12. The saddlebags are my problem area. I wish I could suction out the fat and then inject it into my chest! I just feel like there's not much left to lose up top, so as I lost the remaining 25 or 30 pounds, it's got to come off my butt and thighs, right?? I sure hope so!
  • aparker36
    aparker36 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    God love pears! I would never want to be any different, I lose and my booty still stays. I only wish it wouldn't disappear in my boobs, I'd really like to keep those thank you very much! LOL Just be happy with your shape and be as healthy as you can. My abs rock and always have, but I've got booty and thighs for miles. It's just the way I am. Right now I have 40" hips and 29" waist. I do feel much more proportionate at a size 8 though which is where I'm headed...lingering between 10's and 12's right now.
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Interesting post. Im a size 16 on the lower half but a 10-12 on the top half, collar bones showing, very narrow shoulders. Last summer I was a size 10 bottom half and 6-8 up top and my bust disappeared, I was wearing 32A and I was 8st 12, at 5ft 5, on anybody else that body frame would look fine, on me it looked like I could snap I was so skinny up top. I looked ill. When I gained 30lb 2 months later I was delighted as for the first time in years I actually had a cleevage! But with that cleevage came heavy thighs, cellulite and big hips. When I was in my 20s I actually had a 6 pack, before I had my children, as my upper body was so slender and toned!!! I hadnt realised the extent of my shape until I took before photos and I was shocked as my bottom heavy shape was so severe. I started at 37, 34, 44, my hips are now about 41, waist 31 and Ive given up measuring my bust now as its fast disappearing!!!
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    sniff, I guess being a pear is better than being an apple, but I would prefer hour glass! ;-)
  • eksims1
    eksims1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm like you, and it's genetic for me. My moms the same way. I think it will probably be the last place the weight will come off. My mom has lost some weight, and she's very obese, and the inches came off her wrists, ankles, feet and neck...but none from the lower body (sucks!). If you're feeling boney, maybe try some upper body strength training? Women dont have the testosterone to get big muscles, so it might even you out?
    Statistics show that pear shaped women are associated with having children with higher IQs. High five!
  • the_other_kitkat
    Options
    Hello fellow pears, it's been interesting and heartening to read about your experiences. I'm 5' 2.5" and used to be a not all that fit 110. I didn't look sickly, I looked slim and pretty good actually, but always always had those dread saddlebags, and of course no boobs. I was overall pretty comfortable in my body even though I didn't like the obvious flaws. Now I'm nearing the home stretch of fixing myself after steadily putting on weight starting in my mid-thirties. I've been lifting heavy since I started trying to lose and I can see that I now have some pretty nice thighs ready to emerge from under all that fat. I'm 47 now and this may soon be the best version of myself yet. I can't wait to "finish".

It's been really great to hear your stories, and especially those from you lifters.

For the people here who have expressed an interest in getting into lifting, here's a link to a dirt simple routine that I've been following.
    http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html
    I like it because I am able to do it at home (I'm short enough that my bench can double as a squat rack). Lifting is awesome!

Oh! A little anecdote: I started yoga last year, and it totally made my day when my instructor, while correcting the position of my legs in bridge pose, laid her hand on my thigh just above the knee and with a look of pleased surprise said to me, "You have really strong quads." :smile:
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Women and men come in all shapes and sizes - it's part of the joy of being human. We need to keep our bodies exercised and appropriately fed to be healthy and so hopefull enjoy long illness free lives.

The way I see it (as a fellow pear!) we should concentrate more on enjoying what we have and seeing the beauty in all sorts of body shapes. Of course by all means tone and lift if you enjoy it. But also bear in mind that for the sake of changing fashions on what is beautiful women have corsetted their bodies into 's' shapes one decade, strapped their boobs down in another and bound their feet to stop them growing.

A few of us may need to take care not to be using the gym etc as a new form of whalebone and corset ?

And, ofcourse, as my mum used to tell me, true beauty comes from within!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I'm shaped like an apple. So far I've only become a smaller apple.:brokenheart: Its going to take a lot of weight loss before my waste begins to take on the former hour glass shape. :blushing:

I think it was been said the last to get off was the first to be put on:ohwell: .

Try to be happy that you have the typical feminine shape with a waist. :tongue: I on the other hand I will just keep rolling along.:sad:
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I am pear-shaped.. always been more thin in my upper body, while losing weight.. and reaching my goal weight.. I did lose weight in my upper body much more than my bottom half from what it looks. But i've been doing alot of jogging/running lately and weight training and it's helped lose a few inches
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    Statistics show that pear shaped women are associated with having children with higher IQs. High five!

WOO! That's good news! And must be why my brothers and I are so smart... THANKS pear-shaped Mom!! :)
  • ShannonMarie81
    Options
    I am having the same problem...My boobs are disappearing :sad: ...But my hips, butt and thighs are still big :angry: !! I have started target training too...and I think I need to start doing more running to melt that stubborn fat from my bottom!!

Good Luck to all you others out there that have the same problem...It's so hard..But we can do IT!!!
  • Fit2befitZ
    Fit2befitZ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Pear shaped here also...I strongly agree with the heavy weight lifting. I have been using Chalean Extreme, it is another Beachbody program. It is done in 3 phases: Burn, Push, Lean. The Push phase you are lifting very heavy. This program has done wonders for my pear shape so far, still a work in progress. I do tend to pair it up with HIIT type training like Insanity or Turbo Fire.
  • SeeEmRun2012
    Options
    The answer is estrogen. It causes us hip heavy women to gain all our weight in our thighs hips and butt. Certain foods can help and exercises. I understand the pain tho. I have NO fat on my stomach in fact I have abs and yet here I am do jumps and lying on the bed just trying to get my pants size 8! on over my booty. So frustrating.