Tilapia, Cod, or Salmon

2»

Replies

• doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    I know, didn't bother me THAT much until I read that endandered fish are sometimes passed off as non-endangered. For instance, Atlantic salmon (which is endangered) gets sold as other types of non-endangered salmon.
    [/quote]

While wild atlantic salmon is rare, it is rarely targeted. There is plenty of atlantic salmon because it is easier to farm and brings a higher price. Farm salmon is cheaper to produce than wild.
  • Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    Cilantro glazed salmon over bean salsa

Ingredients:
    Salmon fillets salt and pepper

Cilantro Glaze:
    1 cup chopped cilantro
    2 cloves of fresh garlic minced
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    juice of 1 lime

Bean Salsa:
    1 can black beans drained
    1 can small white beans drained
    1 can black eyed peas drained
    1 medium red onion diced
    2 cloves of chopped fresh garlic
    zest and juice of one lime
    2 medium tomatos diced
    1 medium green and red bell pepper diced
    Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper

(I have prepared this dish both with cooking the bean salsa with the fish and serving it on the side uncooked with the fish. Both are delightful but I like the texture of the bean salsa being fresh and raw.) Prepare the salsa in advance if possible.
    Combine ingredients of the glaze and pour over top of the salmon, let this sit refrigerated for 1 hour.
    If cooking bean salsa with the fish, pour the mixture into a baking dish and top with salmon fillets and cook for 24 minutes. If not cooking the bean salsa, just put the fish with the glaze over top in and cook same amount of time!

I will never eat talapia again after reading that it was a bottom feeder fish! Also I live in FL now and have much better fish available ;)
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Get wild salmon if you have a choice, the difference is flavour versus fat. Although wild is more expensive, you can buy at a bulk store and freeze extras.