....and tell me why I would want to eat back the calories?

124»

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    I know I'm probably going to get a lot of grief for this, but here's my question. Why would I spend an hour at the gym burning 500 calories, to then consume an additional 500 calories?

I go to the gym everyday, shoot to burn about 500 calories (wear a HR monitor that shows calories burned), and on most days do not eat them. I'm losing weight consistently, but really just want to do the "right" thing. So can someone explain it to me?

Why are you burning them, to then not eat them?

First, we need to agree that there is such a thing as a deficit range that is concidered healthy for weight loss.
    If we can't agree this, I don't understand why people don't just starve themselves and spend all day in a gym.

If there is such a thing as a healthy deficit, that is what MFP programs into your calorie goal when you tell it who you are, what you do, and how fast you want to lose.
    When you then log exercise, it recognises you've burnt more than in a normal day, and so need to eat more than normal to stay in a healthy deficit range.
  • I changed my activity level from active to sedentary and it didn't change my alloted calories at all. Maybe I'm misunderstanding? Also do you have to eat back ALL the exercise calories?? Truth be told I almost never do but obviously I haven't lost weight so there could be something to it but part of my problem is i don't truly know what I'm burning so his can I eat them back?? What if they aren't accurate??? I need a hrn.