Anyone NOT with an ED want to be friends?

12346»

Replies

• Dcbear24
    Dcbear24 Posts: 21 Member
    Hey there! No eating disorders here!
    friends?
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    While I believe that there are benefits to fasting when done on an intermittent basis I do not believe in using fasting for trying to lose weight.

I personally don't fast (I like food too much) and my only ED would be overeating (hence my weight issues). Okay, so I don't have an ED. But I believe in doing this in a way that is sustainable and healthy.

Feel free to add me if you want some positive support!!
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    It's my favourite time of year on MFP, a wave of people trying to lose weight who are quite ignorant about the various terms.

I believe many people have cleared up the difference between "fasting" and "eating disorders".

Also, some comments here seemed to make people with eating disorders seem like worthless pieces of society following "gimmicks". As someone who still struggles to recover from builimia, I know there is usually a much more serious underlying issue. To say "I want friends without eating disorders" could be similar to saying "I want friends who aren't depressed, and will bring be down"

This post could have easily been reworded to be much less offensive. A simple, I'm interested in friends who want to lose weight in the old fashioned healthy way would have sufficed.

With that mini rant over, I wish you the best of luck with your weight loss journey. I also hope you take the time to educate yourself on the many wonders of the weight loss world. :flowerforyou:
  • teamlangston
    teamlangston Posts: 25 Member
    So yes recruiting people and encouraging them to be at seriously low weights is scary, unhealthy and could be deadly. Someone said that maybe she was exaggerating the 85lbs...believe me she is not. I work with eating disorder patients and that is a weight that I see more then I'd like to. When these girls talk about fasting they mean NOTHING by mouth except possibly water or tea for as long as they can go or until their body gives out (becomes too weak) and they have to stop.
    That being said...those of you saying I can't have an ED, I love food too much. I know that most of that was joking and sarcasm, but I wanted to remind that binge eating is also a confirmed eating disorder. For most people who are over weight, obese, or morbidly obese...the weight is a symptom of something else that is going on.

I have dealt with people from 83-400+ pounds. EDs come in all kinds of packages.

Just my 2 cents though.