Anti-Cheese Billboards.. Really?? (pic)

Replies

• littlebeans
    littlebeans Posts: 36 Member
    Americans do eat a lot of cheese, especially combined in fast food products/meals. But attacking cheese, as if we just took out the cheese from all of our fast food and no one would have a weight problem again, is just foolish. A whole host of reasons causes people to gain weight at unhealthy rates, sometimes fast food based, sometimes personal, sometimes poverty, and more than often a combination of all three. The money spent putting up a billboard attacking cheese would be better spent helping food pantries and supporting communities/people wear real, whole food should be a priority. .
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    If they want to see why we, Americans, are fat...should start by looking at what they are feeding in school cafeterias! I think it is because of 'fake cheese' that we are fat...give us REAL CHEESE! NOM NOM NOM! :smooched:
  • They can spread all the propaganda they want. I will buy cheese on the black market if I have to. LOL
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    What happened to the "BEHOLD the power of CHEESE" commercials? I love cheese and I certainly would not blame any of my gain from it! Cheese, like everything else in the world, is great in moderation! Why isn't there a billboard that says "You thighs on McDonald's"?????
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    They can spread all the propaganda they want. I will buy cheese on the black market if I have to. LOL

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    If they want to see why we, Americans, are fat...should start by looking at what they are feeding in school cafeterias! I think it is because of 'fake cheese' that we are fat...give us REAL CHEESE! NOM NOM NOM! :smooched:

Have you seen this story making the news rounds this week? Junk food and unhealthy lunches in schools apparently are NOT making kids fat. It's what they're eating the rest of the day.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/junk-food-school-childhood-obesity-relationship/story?id=15407170#.TyAYToE4JS8

Very interesting!
  • cstein71
    cstein71 Posts: 38 Member
    Growing up in Wisconsin, I have eaten lots of cheese, but there are plenty of other things that are worse for you and do not have the protein and calcium that cheese offers. I would think the American Dairy Council would have a problem with this one!
  • stacyann1001
    stacyann1001 Posts: 41 Member
    There is a lot of great information people are sharing on here.... I have to say I DO blame cheese for the fat on my stomach - my reasoning comes only from speculation though and no concrete facts.

3 of my bestest friends do NOT eat cheese whatsoever. They in fact hate it and avoid it at all times - now, these are also the 3 friends I have with the flattest stomach I have ever seen in my life!!! Now, these girls are not fitness or diet freaks, they eat normal food, sensibly of course. Now me on the other hand, round as could be in the tummy, and I am a cheese addict. I know its silly and maybe its just their genetics that gives them the flat stomach and me the round stomach but let me tell you, I have been saying NO to cheese as much as possible since I started dieting and went last night and purchased some vegan aka fake cheese to put myself into a healthy state when I have my cravings.

For me, telling myself the cheese made me fat keeps me from giving into my biggest food addiction. Cheese is my weakness. I could sit and eat a whole pound of Brie with a fork and be "happy" but I tell myself its those binges and the fact that I would put cheese on everything I ate (chicken, bread, crackers, rice, potatoes, salad, veggies, etc) thats made me round. If telling myself that I will be able to reach my goal of being slim with a flat stomach because I have "evidence" telling me a flat stomach will happen if I don't eat cheese (plus a healthy diet and workout routine) then I am going to continue to do it and continue to support the billboards reminding me what cheese does to my body!

I honestly don't give a s*** about the billboards - America is obese, when are we going to stop being infuriated and negative when it comes to these 'reality check' advertisements? There are people in America that have no idea whatsoever what healthy eating is comprised of, they have no education on what is in processed foods, how to make a balanced meal... some people don't have any clue where their food even comes from (live animal in a factory gets to your dinner plate how?) These billboards are put up and commercials are made to spark interest in people, get them into caring about their health and bodies. In a day and age where our society is so concerned with images of skinny, I think people like us on this fitness site who have a goal to be healthy and in shape not just skinny, we should applaud these ads and thank people for reminding America to check themselves out - come on America, check yourself before you wreck yourself!!!!!!! haha...

If you look into the facts about milk and the process of making cheese, its disgusting - The post I quote from below is all accurate information, I learned most of it from reading the book "Skinny B*tch" a year or so ago. If Americans wanted a reality check on the process their food goes through before it gets to their plate, that book is it.
    Before you attack the billboards, I would advise you to read the book Whitewashed: The Disturbing Truth about Cow's Milk and Your Health. Milk products are not all they are cracked up to be. Many people are not aware that 2% milk has approximately 34 calories of fat for every 100 calories (34% fat).

Milk is linked to obesity, heart disease, cataracts, cancer (ovarian, breast, and prostate), Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, arthritis/joint pain, allergy/headaches/back pain, Crohn's disease, infertility, severe menstrual cramps, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (basically mad-cow disease in humans), and tuberculosis.

The cassein in cow's milk is what causes most of the problems when it comes to diseases caused by milk. Cassein is more concentrated in cheese.

When a calf drinks it's mother's milk, its weight doubles in 47 days. Cow's milk contains 15% calories as protein. Human's milk contains 5% calories as protein. Children who drink cow's milk are often overweight due to the doubling rate of cow's milk. Clearly, human's were not meant to drink cow's milk or eat products made from cow's milk. If we were, we would not suffer so many disease from cow's milk.

Now, with hormones being injected into cows to make them produce more milk, we are seeing children developing faster than they should be. Seven year old girls now have breast and boys are getting breast as well. All from tainted cow's milk. Since cheese is made from cow's milk, it is included as being a culprit to this early development process.

All I am saying is that one needs to read about how detrimental certain foods, such as cow's milk, are to humans before condemning any advertisement.

One thing for you to meditate upon: Human's are the only mammals that drink the milk of another mammal. That milk was specially formulated for that mammal's offspring, not for humans. So drinking that milk is not good for humans because it has an overabundance of nutrients in it that were meant to help the calf grow. No wonder Americans are overweight. They drink and eat more milk and milk products than any other people on this planet.

Yes, the fact that we are obese in the U.S. can also be blamed for over-eating other foods and our penchant for sitting around like lazy pigs, but lets look at the foods we eat and understand how they affect our bodies before it is too late. And let's not count on the FDA for protection from the agricultural industry and the foods that it produces. They've done a perfectly crappy job of protecting us so far.
  • ragekage21
    ragekage21 Posts: 75 Member
    Let's face it, French and Italian women eat cheese every day and aren't exactly burdened by obesity.

They also have a much less sedentary lifestyle, smaller portions, and eat much more in the way of fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains throughout the day.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    We all like blaming our weight issues on something else. Wether it's cheese, mcdonalds or our heredity. When we should realy just forget about what "made us fat"(which sorry to break it to you, YOU DID THAT! It's no one' fault but yours) and get healthy. I eat cheese...not buckets and buckets, but I eat cheese! I've lost 6lb in 3 weeks! I've even eaten mcdonalds in that 3 weeks! It's all about moderation and controlling yourself!
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    LOL. Vegan propaganda. There's nothing untrue/exaggerated about the fact that people who do not eat cheese and dairy have a lower average BMI and nearly no risk for heart disease. Every day, more and more doctors are prescribing vegan diets for their at-risk patients.

Ads are sensational; that's what they do. And they aren't focusing on "junk" foods because we all know those are crap for you. Of course no one becomes obese just because of cheese, but I think a lot of people don't know just how many calories, and how much saturated fat, is packed into one serving of the stuff. Yes, it's a good source of protein, but there are others that don't clog your arteries.

This.

Also, I think people are getting a little too defensive of their cheese addictions! I say addiction because I hear people say, on nearly a daily basis, "Oh, I could NEVER live without cheese!" And I've said the same thing myself.

But, geez! So you love some curdled milk mixed with calf stomach - great! People eat weird crap all around the world because it's a taste they've acquired, and they think it tastes good. Fine. But, don't say it's healthier than fast food because it's "real" and not processed - it's very processed! And, relative to lots of other foods, it has more fat and less protein per serving.

Cheese is not a wonder food. Tasty. But not amazingly healthy by comparison to plenty of other foods that are available. And if cheese makes you so happy, why are so many getting cranky about an ad?

Hugs,
    Crazy Vegan
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    My name is Jackie. I am fat because I stopped taking care of myself and ate and drank whatever/whenever. There is no one food that brought me here, but the biggest categories of calories would be sodas, oils, and 'healthy' packaged foods. Not cheese, not steak (was too poor for a long time to have red meat), not veggies, but fast food, restaurant food, packaged foods and sodas. Sure, some of them had stuff resembling cheese (mac n cheese anyone?).
  • If you eat too much of anything it's bad - why single out cheese?
    Especially considering there's different kinds of lower calorie cheese, e.g. low-fat, goat, semi-skim...
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    cheese-pic1.jpg
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    I honestly don't give a s*** about the billboards - America is obese, when are we going to stop being infuriated and negative when it comes to these 'reality check' advertisements? There are people in America that have no idea whatsoever what healthy eating is comprised of, they have no education on what is in processed foods, how to make a balanced meal... some people don't have any clue where their food even comes from (live animal in a factory gets to your dinner plate how?) These billboards are put up and commercials are made to spark interest in people, get them into caring about their health and bodies. In a day and age where our society is so concerned with images of skinny, I think people like us on this fitness site who have a goal to be healthy and in shape not just skinny, we should applaud these ads and thank people for reminding America to check themselves out - come on America, check yourself before you wreck yourself!!!!!!! haha...

I am all for 'reality check' advertisements... When there's substantial evidence to support the statement. I feel like they could have made the billboard more effective by using one of the other comments they made within the article. "If you’re like most Americans, you’ve probably had about a half pound of cheese in the past week alone — for a total consumption of 29.8 pounds in the past year."

Show 30 pounds of lard, and say "This is how much cheese the average American consumes in a year," instead of an obsese man or woman "on cheese." It's all about presentation, and I feel like this one was poorly done.
  • Hahaha!

If I didnt eat cheese I would die. I am pretty sure.

I heart
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Also, I think people are getting a little too defensive of their cheese addictions! I say addiction because I hear people say, on nearly a daily basis, "Oh, I could NEVER live without cheese!" And I've said the same thing myself.

It's called hyperbole. I love the taste of cheese and enjoy eating it. It's not like I go through withdrawal without it.

I can live without it. I don't want to.

Since I can remember, I've eaten it every day. "High" blood pressure for me is 110/60. I have healthy levels of cholesterol, healthy levels of triglycerides, healthy levels of EVERYTHING. And except for about three out of my 35 years of life, my BMI has been on the low end.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    So cheese is the evil food of the month. Good to know (grabs a slice of colby jack and chows down)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Oxygen kills. Every person who has ever died has inhaled oxygen.
  • MsPetuniaPig
    MsPetuniaPig Posts: 74 Member
    Mmmmmmm..... Cheese. : )