Calling all runners!! I have a question!!

2»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    How long do you have until the tri?
    Dropping from a 10 min mile to a 6.5 is a giant gap. Granted when you are newer to running is when you typically make the biggest gains, but there is no gauruntee of ever reaching that speed. A lot will have to do with your genetics.

I wouldn't worry a ton about doing "Speed" work until you build up a base that will allow you to get the most from it. For now I would run and get a base, take a few runs longer & slower, take a few & push it harder (tempo) Trying to do speed work before having a base is a waste of time in my opinion.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    How long do you have until the tri?
    Dropping from a 10 min mile to a 6.5 is a giant gap. Granted when you are newer to running is when you typically make the biggest gains, but there is no gauruntee of ever reaching that speed. A lot will have to do with your genetics.

I wouldn't worry a ton about doing "Speed" work until you build up a base that will allow you to get the most from it. For now I would run and get a base, take a few runs longer & slower, take a few & push it harder (tempo) Trying to do speed work before having a base is a waste of time in my opinion.

ITA with this!

I'm not a naturally fast runner. 10 minute miles were always a comfortable spot for me. I've been working on my running for several years and I've gotten down to where I can do a 5K in about 22-24min (8:00 mile or just under). 6:30 mile is really, really fast.

And like rybo said, if you push yourself for speed without a good base you are going to waste your time and probably get hurt.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    People are being very diplomatic saying it's "doable".
    Yes ofcourse it's doable, but is it feasible for you to run your first 5k at a 6:30 pace? I'd venture to say probably not.

Forget the masses, and compete with yourself.

First you need to build up to run a solid 5k.
    Then add interval training and work on your speed.

Good luck, and careful how you set your goals!
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Ditto on building up first. I've been a runner since 2007 and I can still barely run less than a 10 minute mile. My best 5k time is about 29:30.

Also ditto on not worrying about placing. It's all for fun anyway!

6.5 minute mile is doable, but is very fast. Depending on when your event is, it's probably not reasonable to try for a time like that - you will be more likely to hurt yourself.

Just have fun!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    I would say in the short term, NO WAY!

Let me give you my background.

I started running long distance about 4 years ago at age 27. 2 Fulls, 4 Halfs, and a couple of shorter runs under my belt now. When I first started running long distance, I could run a mile in about 6 minutes right off the couch because I was already physically fit from being athletic all my life. However my pace would drop dramatically as I added more distance to the runs.

Currently I can run a 5K in probably 21 minutes, 10k in 45 minutes, Half in 1:38 and Full in 3:55 (although i think i can really improve this one).

So going for 5K in 20 minutes from where you are currently at is too ambitious as a short term goal. If you work really hard and have decent genetics, you might be able to hit it further down the road.