How did everyone get into gaming

124»

Replies

• TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    First "console" was an Activision system that had various versions of Pong masquerading as "tennis" and "ice hockey".

First "game" was D&D Basic and Expert editions that I saw lying in a shop in 1974. I picked them up wondering what they were and bought them. My brother and I played D&D all weekend and I've a coupl eof thousand pounds worth of the stuff in the attic now. Would have been more, but my mum heard that D&D was Satanic and made me throw the first lot (First and Second Editions) I had out. It was only when I left home that I could start over.
  • first game was Pong witht he weird dial controllers, but when i really got into gaming was when the NES came out me and my brother would sit there in out PJ's and play duckhunt until we would fall asleep console still on

that and some of the awsome lucas art/ point and click games "full throttle" to this day is one of my best games took me WEEKS to finally figure out how to get the fuel after the bike crash

***spolier****

you set off the alarm by trying to climb the fuel tower, but in the 3-4 seconds before the helecoptercar thing shows up to shoot you down, hide behind the barrels... when they come they wont shoot, they think youve climbed into the tower, and they go up "atfer you".... then you pop out and steal the fuel FROM THIER hele-car thing

WOOOOHAHA!

....anyone who played that knows how epic the game was will get that... if not....

im sure most gamestores have it under £3 nowdays... or you can probably get it on steam for a £1 or 2 id definatly reccomend it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Throttle_(1995_video_game)
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    My first game I cannot recall, but it was definitely something on Intellivision. Shortly after that I got an Atari 2600, then NES, GameBoy, SNES, TG-16, PS1, Xbox, GameCube, GBA, PS2, Wii, PSP, PS3, Vita. From here, I don't know where I'm going to. If Steam (and games) comes to Linux as I hear it is, then maybe I'll go that route.

Edit: I also have a Dreamcast and TurboExpress, but I don't recall exactly where in the timeline they fit in.
  • Gyoza11
    Gyoza11 Posts: 143 Member
    Originally I got in to it because I idolized my best friend (from ages 3-12) and wanted to impress him. He introduced me to pretty much everything when we were kids and I latched on. The sad part though is we met again a few months ago, he still likes some of the stuff but has kind of given up on the hobby.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    I was playing the SNES when I was like 5 maybe. I only had DKC and SMW, but I would rent games from Choices once every couple of months. Yes, Choices, such a long time ago >.<

The SNES had already been out for quite some time and the PS1 must of already been released at the time, but I didn't get one until I was like 8 or 9 maybe. I played a lot of Tombi, FFVII, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Tekken, Worms, KKND, Cool Boarders, etc. I also owned a ton of demos which I still have lol.

So I've had a SNES, PS1, Gamecube, PS2, Gameboy, GBC, GBA, PSP, DS, DSi, PS3, Wii, Xbox 360 and got back a SNES in January, both NTSC and PAL, along with a NES, Atari 2600, N64 and PSOne. I am planning on getting a PS3 again if the Kingdom Hearts HD Remix rumors are true and I also want to play Ni No Kuni and One Piece: Pirate Warriors. Also a PS2 Slim because I still have a ton of PS2 games I want to play again.
  • f1ctional
    f1ctional Posts: 235
    My dad bought me the Atari 2600 when it first game out. The rest is history!
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    My first console was an Atari: pitfall 1/2, Fast Food, Q-Bert, Mario, Donkey Kong....yadda, yadda. I was hooked. I started playing MMO's after my friend Alexis intro'd me to WoW. Another friend intro'd me to table top D & D.
  • Absidey
    Absidey Posts: 116 Member
    Less tabletop than I'd have guessed, but there's a few others.. =) I got started gaming the day my uncle filled my tiny 5-year-old hand with 6-sided dice and helped me roll up a halfling. From there: Doom, Sim Farm (omg, still epic), and Lemmings. When my parents divorced, my stepdad graciously left his NES with me, and I spent many happy hours with it and Kirby's Dreamland.

In high school, my uncle scoffed at my chat room roleplaying, and introduced me to Dark Age of Camelot. Then he (and his gaming computer) went active duty, and I got into MUDs and Magic: The Gathering to satisfy the craving. As soon as I had the resources I bought myself a gaming computer, and you know how the rest of the story goes.
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Load "*",8,1

Aging the hell out of myself but need I say more?

LOL I remember entering in hundreds of lines of code on our Tandy computer just so we could get box to move!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    I got into gaming by going to the local laundrymat, and my mom giving me four quarters to play Moon Patrol and Burger Time. Being that my mom was rasing 6 kids and we had no money, I always went to friends houses to play Atari 2600 and Colecovision, and Commadore 64. One day, my friend gets a NES for Christmas. We broke night playing Gyromite and Duck Hunt. It was fun watching R.O.B. do his thing. One day, my mom surprises me with a big heavy box on my birthday. I open it saying finally I could trade and borrow from my friends. To my dismay, it was a Sega Master System. That dismay turned into joy. Friends came over when they grew tired of their NES games, and vice versa. I got a job as a local paper delivery boy and saved up to buy the Genesis. I was the man until the SNES came out. I bought one of those. Then the Sega CD was coming out. I was going to get it and my mom needed money. So instead of me getting it, I helped her out. She surprised me with it on Christmas. I was 13 at the time. The rest has been a fun journey of fanboyism and wants.
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    I had a super nintendo when I was younger, but I wouldn't call myself a gamer then. My husband got me hooked on Everquest II six years ago when we had first started dating. Then he got me into pokemon (lol) on the DS and now I'm all about Diablo III. He forces me to try all these games (probably so he can play them without leaving me out) and I end up loving them.
  • talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    I started with the Atari! :D ended with PS3 Console LOL!
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    I started with an 8088 256kb ram 5.25 floppy dos box. Load dos from disk, put in game disk, load game, put dos disk back in, put game back in, flip disk. Fun times. Sopwith, Castle Wolfenstien (the original one), ect.

The there was the BBS dial up era where playing Wolfenstien 3D, Duke Nukem, ROTT, and Heretic was fun.

Since then I helped create and run Edge-Gamers.com for 6 years, until just recently to spend more time with my family.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    I used to go to my friend's house to play her Atari, and my pastor's house to play their Nintendo.

My parents finally caved and got me an SNES one year. I was hooked on Donkey Kong (still the only game I've actually beaten, ha) and Super Mario Brothers.

I moved to PC when we (FINALLY!) got a computer when I was in 9th grade. Oregon Trail, just screwing around with random games on there... In college I started playing The Sims.

Didn't do much except The Sims for a long time, until my ex introduced me to LotRO. I didn't want to play an MMO because I knew they were addicting, and I know I have a bit of an addictive personality. He insisted I give it a try because I love LotR, so I did. He very quickly regretted it...
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    I had games when I was young. Sega Genesis and the first Gameboy were my first consoles. I never got crazy addicted to them, but would play them time to time.

It was on DevArt that one of the people I watched post a ss of a MMORPG. I downloaded it and played it a lot. When they did a huge update to the game, many people joined and I found a guild that was like my family that lives in the computer. Played that game for a few years.

Then we moved to the country, and our internet was and still continues to be a pain to deal with. I had to quit playing those games. Then I turned to consoles again. I got a PS2 and became a Kingdom Hearts addict. Now I play many rpgs and have a PS3 and 3DS. Good times.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    I always played Nintendo because my brother had it.

I was very into Pokemon Yellow... then Blue... then Silver... then Sapphire.

In 1998 I was seven and a half. My friend's new computer came with several games, including two games by PF Magic called Catz 2 and Dogz 2. After that I got Catz 3 and Dogz 3, then I got a game called Babyz, and my life was over. I was into that online community eyes-deep for like, seven or eight years.

Also, The Sims was a game I found... and again, then my life was over. Every expansion later and somehow I still make time to play and make custom content.

In 2009 my boyfriend and best friend got me into playing WoW, and I've played MMOs ever since.