Why men are more intimidated in gym...

2»

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    No i can't accept sexist drivel dressed in the mantel of pseudoscience. the likes of pinker and morris should likely be arrested for crimes against psychology.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    No i can't accept sexist drivel dressed in the mantel of pseudoscience. the likes of pinker and morris should likely be arrested for crimes against psychology.

It seems I've offended you again lol.

Its not just psychologists, its anthropologists, ethologists, and zoologists that have all observed gender traits and roles in animals and humans alike....but then again, its all pseudoscience isn't it?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Yes, but the men all stand there STARING at the woman weight lifting no matter what. That is intimidating.

Then again, I love it when guys have to lower weights after me XD
  • thefuzz1290
    Yes, but the men all stand there STARING at the woman weight lifting no matter what. That is intimidating.

Then again, I love it when guys have to lower weights after me XD

See that's the men checking to see if you are lifting more than they are. LOL :) And trust me, I've seen plenty of women who can squat/deadlift more than me....and a few that can bench more. However, women's legs physiologically stronger than a man's, and a man's upper body is physiologically stronger than a woman's.
  • Alegrya
    Alegrya Posts: 10 Member
    I'm intimidated of the 'boy' side of the gym because I don't know what I'm doing.

This is exactly how I felt when I joined a co-ed gym for the first time last week. So much so that the first day I came in for a workout (before I'd met with a trainer to develop a programme) I stayed totally at the front part of the gym around the cardio machines and lockers.

I discussed my reservations and awkwardness about being at a gym with both men and women after only having gone to women's only gyms before with my housemate. They told me the same thing that my trainer wound up telling me when I met with them "honestly, the guys are too busy looking at the other guys to notice you". Also having him along and showing me forms again for the machines I'll be using was incredibly helpful.

I took some time to glance around the weights area and concluded that the people there weren't as scary as I feared and that nobody's judging me because at the end of the day we're all there to better ourselves in some way. The trainer making a *kitten* comparison joke was also a tension-breaker. The gym I attend most of the time is in a fairly chilled out area and I've recently found that going in the morning means much less competition for machines and fewer people to get nervous about.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    I go to the gym on base. I'm a military spouse no longer in, so most that are there have been in shape forever as it is required. And being overseas there is two things to do to most, drink or workout. The gym here is full of guys in shape. And they are close to each other, they don't like letting in new people. Going into the weight room is scary, and I think it could be scary for each sex. But I am a women and relate to them saying its scary.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    quote ''However, a man sees another man benching 225lbs, he knows instinctively that he is the weaker, less dominate male''

Absolute bollocks mate! what on earth are you going on about? I have never thought this once in my life, I have nothing to prove to other males, just because someone is lifting more than me means nothing, they could have completely different goals to me. I would challenge any dominate male to step outside into the carpark of the gym and then will would see who is dominate.

I assume you feel less dominate, because other people lift heavy compared to you, but dont put us all in the same boat with that quote, because its simply untrue.
  • thefuzz1290
    quote ''However, a man sees another man benching 225lbs, he knows instinctively that he is the weaker, less dominate male''

Absolute bollocks mate! what on earth are you going on about? I have never thought this once in my life, I have nothing to prove to other males, just because someone is lifting more than what I would means nothing, they could have completely different goals to me. I would challenge any dominate male to step outside into the carpark of the gym and then will would see who is dominate.

I assume you feel less dominate, because other people lift heavy compared to you, but dont put us all in the same boat with that quote, because its simply untrue.

*face palm* I guess you didn't quite get the point of the thread. Re-read it. I'm talking about beginners and judging from your photos, you're far from a beginner. But think back, honestly, about when you first started. Did you jump in with the big boys and start throwing up weight? If so, you are an exception.

There are always exceptions, but unless you've been training since you started growing hair in funny places, most beginners don't start until later in life. I'm also speaking on a subconscious biological level that occurs in almost every mammal species. And really? I'm not talking about a head-to-head challenge....bah, I'll just stop.

*sigh*
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member

Absolute bollocks mate! what on earth are you going on about? I have never thought this once in my life, I have nothing to prove to other males, just because someone is lifting more than what I would means nothing, they could have completely different goals to me. I would challenge any dominate male to step outside into the carpark of the gym and then will would see who is dominate.

*face palm* I guess you didn't quite get the point of the thread. Re-read it. I'm talking about beginners and judging from your photos, you're far from a beginner. But think back, honestly, about when you first started. Did you jump in with the big boys and start throwing up weight? If so, you are an exception.

There are always exceptions, but unless you've been training since you started growing hair in funny places, most beginners don't start until later in life. I'm also speaking on a subconscious biological level that occurs in almost every mammal species. And really? I'm not talking about a head-to-head challenge....bah, I'll just stop.

*sigh*

Ok, I will level with you, My mum dragged me to a body building gym when I was 11 yrs old, as I was getting a bit of a chubby child, she would just sit at the reception desk and watch everybody in the gym from there while I did my hour workout which I did on a monday and fridays after school. so to be exposed at an early age, I have never had the thought process about what you talk about, but I do understand where your coming from, as I do see lads in the gym attempting what you have discribed, stick thin newbe's trying to lift half there body weight on a bicep curl, but I just pay no attention to them.
  • duharvalgt
    duharvalgt Posts: 319 Member
    I'm not really bothered by what other people lift at the gym( well I was when I first started because I wanted to see what kind of weights I should be lifting.) I go to the gym for myself ; if somebody can lift more than me then fair-dos.