running

13»

Replies

• jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    I agree with those who admit that everyone is different. What works for me might not work for everyone (or anyone else for that matter.) I'm far from a pro but here's my routine:

Before: I have to allow an hour after intake before I run or I get cramps and feel "heavy". I will usually have a luna bar and fruit. This tends to keep my energy level up without that "heavy" feeling extending into my run.

During: Only on runs over 6miles. I will usually have Cliff energy gels. They taste good and they are convenient.

After: G2 immediately. Within an hour I will have a protein shake or high protein meal (usually chicken).
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Before a race I usually make a PB & Banana smoothie - one banana, a Tbsp of peanut butter and a cup of milk. After a normal run I usually either drink a recovery formula or have some chocolate milk.
  • LaurenMichelle004
    LaurenMichelle004 Posts: 80 Member
    If you don't need as many calories, you might want to make your own replenisher. I use this for long runs (> 6 miles)

1 Crystallight packet
    1/4 tsp Morton Lite Salt
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    Heaping 1/2 cup sugar
    2 quarts water

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Your-Own-Damn-Sports-Drink/

Again, the replenisher is for long runs where I've lost sodium and potassium due to sweating.

Oooh!!! I want to make this!! Thanks! :)
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    bump will come back later
  • scott1080
    scott1080 Posts: 109 Member
    wow what a great responce to my post and great tips thanks a lot everyone...
  • sassika
    sassika Posts: 95 Member
    Bump