Does anyone use coconut oil

Replies

• Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Awesome stuff, but don't forget to log the calories! Some of us are keen forgetters of the things that are served on a teaspoon! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • fyfi_fendir
    fyfi_fendir Posts: 64 Member
    86% saturated fat. Why would anyone want to eat that....
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    I've been using it for two weeks and use it for eggs, veggies and meat, or instead of butter on english muffins. It really doesn't have much of a smell or taste, just a good texture.
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/496258-apple-cider-vinegar-and-virgin-coconut-oil

Here are some other people who have used it as well. Hope it helps!
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    I use it for cooking my stirfry veggies, and making bread. Yeah, I know - why am I eating bread... right? I feel that if you're gonna eat it, you might as well make it as healthy as you can. As far as the stirfry - it gives them a subtle coconut flavor that's really quite delicious!
  • I stir a teaspoon into black or red beans on my plate when I have them, and then don't have sauces on it. Much better for me.

I also use it on my hair, very nice. And on my face. I have rosacea, and the coconut oil seems to be anti inflammatory. That's good for anybody!
  • When i say it's good for anybody, I meant that very generally. I suppose there are people who are sensitive to it like there are people sensitive to some of the oddest things. Like chicken meat makes me violently ill. I spent two days i the hospital last time I ate it. Never again!
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    bump...
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Bump, I bought my son some for christmas because he saw it in Men's Health.
  • I have used it on my Haitian daughters hair with great results! I did use it for some belgium waffles also! YUM! I will have to be cooking with it more. (We have one marked for ingesting!) Works great for skin lips, and hair! I love it!
  • mae1020
    mae1020 Posts: 234 Member
    Ok you all have convinced me to go buy some this weekend. I plan on trying it in place of my EVOO on food and for my hair and a small patch of psoriasis. I'm not quite sure which kind to buy.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    I've been using it as a replacement for cooking oils (cooking eggs, sauteing veggies, etc.) Also have been using it in the shower as a moisterizer, and for the ends of my hair as a conditioner.

I like a lot of the other suggestions for it also...will have to try those.
  • Bump
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,338 Member
    A couple of years ago I took a one night class on increasing your metabolism. The nutritionist that taught the class presented many products that you can buy in the grocery that are better for you than some of the traditional that we use for cooking/eating. Coconut oil was on the good list because it is a healthy fat. The main point of the class was that our society has caused weight gain by eating low or nonfat products which are not good for the body. When the fat is removed manufacturer's have added sugar or other additives to improve the flavor. Our bodies are designed to ingest fats for healthy digestion and metabolism. That is the premise behind VCO. It is a healthy fat that gets metabolized/used for digestion and will get your metabolism working properly and allow your body to shed fat storage. So research how much healthy fats you should eat per day and see what happens. She also talked about avocadoes, a certain type of mayo found in health food section, etc. as being part of healthy diet. Anything with additives, fructose corn syrup, diet sodas, high sodium, etc. were really bad! She talked about the additives in diet sodas and said they can cause weight gain amongst other issues. My friend cleaned the inside of her toilet tank with a can of diet coke. She poured it in, let it sit for awhile, and then flushed. It looked like new, ugh! I guess it makes for a good drain cleaner too.

Just sharing what I learned but didn't quite get at the time...Now I'm using it!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    I use it weekly at least. Either I'll eat it straight or cook with it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Multiple studies have shown that saturated fat has no relationship to serum cholesterol. Additionally, saturated fat is resistant to oxidation that causes arterial plaque. Saturated fats also help raise HDL cholesterol, the good kind. They help maintain the integrity of cell membrane tissue, help rid the body of microrganisms like harmful bacteria and viruses, help prevent osteoporosis, contains important vitamins like A and D, contians Omega 3 fatty acids which are crucial for heart health and are hypo allergenic. Additionally Cocnut Oil contains Medium Chain fatty acids which are a readily available energy source and resitant to being stored as adipose tissue.

The "saturated fat is bad for you" myth is an old one that has been disproven. It is quite the opposite and many of the fats like Canola Oil and Safflower Oil that were thought to be more heathful have actually been proven not to be. But don't take my word for it. The research is readily avaiable. Find out for yourself.

That's why anybody would want to eat that!
  • It's great stuff. :)

I use it in my little low-carb flax-meal breakfast muffins (not low-cal, just low carb! About 235 cal per muffin, but only a couple of net carb grams), and they taste great.

(1/4 c flax meal, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp splenda, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 egg, 1 tsp coconut oil--mix everything up in a mug, then microwave for 1 minute!)

I also use coconut oil to saute veggies, have mixed a bit into rice sometimes so that it cooks up with that nutty aroma, and so on. Love it.

Sounds yummy.
  • Sueboo31
    Sueboo31 Posts: 128
    I just bought some after reading another thread last week regarding coconut oil and apple cider vinegar.... I think someone else
    posted the link for that thread. Since that OP said it helped with her low thyroid I figured I would give it a try (I was just diagnosed with a low thyroid). regardless if it helps with my thyroid I am looking forward to the other benefits.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Do your research!! Yes it is listed as saturated but it is very good for you.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    bump