Does anyone use coconut oil

12346»

Replies

• I wanted to get this for my daughter's ezcema but it looks like I'll be trying it for other uses as well!
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 614 Member
    Do other coconut oils have a scent? I've seen a few of you post "it smells great." I have this stuff, and it doesn't smell like anything... http://www.louana.com/product-detail.aspx?productID=75&catID=44&pcatID=37

That's the stuff you want to avoid, it is refined. You want something that specifically says "Virgin" oil. The virgin has the texture of vegetable shortening when cool but when heated goes liquid. It smells and tastes like coconut.

This is the brand of the virgin type I picked up at Whole Foods (on sale this week for $7.99):

http://www.amazon.com/Bronners-Magic-All-One-Fresh-Pressed-Unrefined/dp/B0052AHU38

Louana does go solid. It says on it- Coconut Oil is solid below 76
    degrees and liquid above 77 degrees.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Medium Chain vs. Long Chain. It's available for use as energy almost immediately. Go do a little poking around on Pub Med, there are some interesting studies. One in particular that I really enjoyed reading was this one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3226242/?tool=pubmed
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/510464-homemade-coconut-butter-by-chocolate-covered-katie

52 Uses for Coconut Oil

Eat a spoonful when you need an energy boost.
    Use it as the base for a homemade body scrub.
    Use to condition your wooden cutting boards.
    Use as a super conditioner on your hair (apply to dry hair, leave in as long as possible and then shampoo as normal).
    Use as a styling agent if you have really dry hair. Just rub a tiny bit on your palms and apply to your hair and style as normal.
    Keep a little container in your purse for lip moisturizer.
    Add a spoonful to your dog or cat’s food. CO is great for our furry friends!
    Replace nasty, unhealthy vegetable oils in your cooking and baking with CO.
    Make healthy ice cream topping.
    Use it for oil pulling.
    Use a tiny dab on your underarms for a natural deodorant.
    Use coconut oil instead of shaving cream.
    Add to your bath tub for a moisturizing soak (a drop of peppermint oil is wonderful!).
    Use as a makeup remover.
    Use it to help sooth chicken pox, shingles, or other rashes or skin irritations.
    Use it to treat athlete’s food, ringworm, or other fungal or yeast infections.
    Take a spoonful with your vitamins to help improve absorption.
    Spread a thin layer on cuts or burns to speed up healing.
    Take up to 5 spoonfuls per day for improved thyroid function.
    Add a spoonful to your smoothies for extra nutrition and flavor.
    Use on the delicate tissue around your eyes to help prevent wrinkles and sagging.
    Use as the base for homemade toothpaste or lotion.
    Use in place of massage oil.
    Use in place of KY Jelly
    Use on your baby’s diaper rash or cradle cap.
    Use to help reduce visibility of stretch marks or to prevent stretch marks.
    For nursing mothers, use coconut oil on your nipples to prevent cracking and irritation.
    For nursing mothers, consuming coconut oil will help increase your milk flow.
    Apply to bee stings or bug bites to soothe and heal the wound.
    Women can use in the nether regions to relieve yeast infections, dryness, and/or discomfort.
    Eat a spoonful with each meal to improve digestion.
    If you’re prone to nosebleeds, coat the inside of your nostrils with coconut oil regularly.
    Helps soothe and heal hemorrhoids.
    Take to helps reduce or eliminate migraines.
    Use as the base for a vapor rub.
    Mixed with peppermint, lemon balm, rosemary, or tea tree oil makes an excellent insect repellant.
    Mix with baking soda for a non-toxic “Goo Gone”.
    Use to help detox the body during a cleanse or fast.
    Use as a metal polish, but always test a small area first.
    Use as a leather moisturizer.
    Season your cast iron pans.
    Use to oil your pans and baking dishes instead of pan spray.
    Got gum stuck in your hair? Try using coconut oil to remove without cutting your hair.
    Use instead of WD-40.
    Use as a personal lubricant (not safe with latex).
    Take a spoonful to help with heartburn, acid reflux, or indigestion.
    Use as a natural sunscreen.
    Mix with a tiny bit of fresh lemon juice and use as a furniture polish (always test a small area first!).
    Mix with butter and toss your popcorn in it.
    Use on cracked or rough heals to help smooth them out.
    Massage into your nails and cuticles to help strengthen them.
    Use as the base for homemade chocolate candy.
    Take a couple spoonfuls every day to help overall immune function.
  • Hearts_2015
    A friend of MFP mentioned that she uses coconut oil on her hair and it has done wonders. Was thinking of buying some to try.

Yes it really works well for my hair. I rubbed some in and left it in my hair overnight this pass Friday night and my hair was so soft and conditioned on Saturday when i washed it out. Try and report too...

http://nutiva.com/ Great recipes and tips on this site for using coconut oil. Study up on your brands as some are great... some not much!:sick: But of course with anything everyone's opinion varies. I'm not suggesting Nutiva merely sharing the info it gave on hair and other tips for using Coconut butter in general.:happy:

The components of coconut oil contribute to strong, nourished hair and a healthy scalp. Coconut oil adds vitality to your hair and scalp.

Moisturize, rejuvenate and condition your skin, scalp and hair naturally! As a hair conditioner coconut oil nourishes dry and brittle hair, encourages healthy hair growth, prevents hair loss, promotes a healthy scalp, and relieves dandruff. It provides the essential proteins required to nourish dry, damaged hair and rejuvenates the hair very quickly.

Coconut oil is about 50 percent lauric acid, a rare medium-chain fatty acid found in mother's milk that supports healthy metabolism and is now being studied for its anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial, health-protecting properties. It has long been revered as a hair conditioner because of it's high moisture retaining property. Regular massage of the head with coconut oil keeps your scalp is free of dandruff, lice, and dryness. Because of its antioxidant properties it is also known to protect hair from graying.

Use coconut oil as a pre-shampoo conditioner for an hour, several hours, or overnight. For best results apply to damp hair, cover with a shower cap and let the coconut oil penetrate your hair overnight. Shampoo as usual in the morning. Or you can use the oil in small amounts as an after-shampoo conditioner or styling gel. Simply warm up a teaspoon (or less) of the solid oil in your hands and apply to damp hair and scalp.
  • It's worth reading all about extra virgin coconut oil

Help with many things related to better health and help with weight loss. SO WONDERFUL!

http://healthimpactnews.com/2012/coconut-oil-and-weight-loss-facts-vs-fiction-what-you-need-to-know-about-coconut-oil-and-losing-weight/
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    I just started eating this straight 1 tbs. each morning.
  • Hearts_2015
    How expensive is it? where do you buy it?

I bought online Gold Label Virgin
    Coconut Oil in Tropical Traditions http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/faq.htm#12

I paid 29.50. I looks good for being pure, virgin, handmade and Certified Organic / FL 32. oz
    I bought my VCO at Trader Joe's. A 16 oz. jar for $5.99.
    I put it on my Triple Health 100 calorie English Muffin and sprinkle cinnamon spice on it at breakfast. Very good!
    I too took the great Trader Joe's price for my purchase... 2@$10 the other day. Love theirs, tastes great with stir-fry, on toast with NB's and for baking, skin, oh the ideas are endless!
  • Love2lift72
    Love2lift72 Posts: 157 Member
    bump.- lots of great links to read
  • iselena08
    iselena08 Posts: 3 Member
    I like it as a body moisturizer.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Sometimes, but I prefer butter. Tastes nicer.
  • jpoblete77
    jpoblete77 Posts: 19 Member
    So it's almost a year later since the original post, what are your thoughts? Did this in fact help with weight loss, energy, etc when combined with healhty eating and exercise?
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    I just cooked my swai fish in it last night (in a pan with some salt and pepper). DE-LISH!!!!!!
  • treenuh_x
    treenuh_x Posts: 94 Member
    I don't use it in food because it doesn't sit well with me, but I use it for everything else! Moisturizer and hair conditioner, mostly. If you take a couple of tablespoons and coat your hair in it, and leave it in for 2-3 hours before showering, your hair comes out brilliantly shiny and soft. I love it.
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Does anyone use coconut oil? It really works? How much use? Any information is valid. I just bought one, but I still have many doubts. Thank you for your attention

I use the virgin, unrefined type for popping popcorn on the stove and occasionally put a spoonful in my coffee or protein shake, and I use the refined kind for shaving my legs, as a deep conditioning treatment for my hair, and for a moisturizer.