Women who eat more than 1800 calories a day !!!!

Replies

• Loves2snack
    Loves2snack Posts: 112 Member
    LorinaLynn wrote: »
    I'm currently in "maintenance" with an estimated 1700, so with exercise calories, I'm usually over 2000. 39 years old, 5'5 and currently 132#, but not concerned with the number on the scale at all.

During the time I was losing, I was usually around 1800+.

Do you work out a ton?

• jec228
    jec228 Posts: 67 Member
    I knew I was eating too little with the exercise I am doing but this thread has really opened my eyes. Thank you to everyone who has posted shared their experience. I have been reading over the past 2 days and haven't gotten to every response yet but hope to!

I am definitely going to slowly up my net cals until I reach the 1690 recommended by fat2fit. I would love for any women to add me who are eating 1800+/day so I can peep your diaries :) I will be adding a few of you, also.

I am 5'4" with about 10 -15 lbs to lose. I workout for an hour to an hour and a half about 6 days/week. Mix of cardio and strength training.

thanks all!!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    I am 5'3" and eat 1700cal/day, plus I eat back some of my exercise calories. I have lost 34lbs since January...which is exactly when I upped my calories from the MFP recommended 1200 to 1700. It seems to be working for me.
  • sceleratis
    sceleratis Posts: 89 Member
    5'9'' and 143 at the moment. I'm currently on a 12 week cut to drop some additional body fat, so I average 1600-1800 depending on the day and activity level, but my maintenance is 2100 or thereabouts. I'm in the gym 4-5 days a week. I lift heavy 4 days and do cardio/yoga/mobility work 5 days.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited September 2016
    From reading this thread and noting just how TIRED I’ve been lately, I’ve decided to up my calories. I was full of energy last week, but then ran a 10k race at the weekend and can barely do ANY of the activities I want to this week, which is both a knock on effect of not fueling myself and not getting enough sleep. I’m only 5’ and 129lbs, so to start I’ll aim for a NET of 1550. I’m trying not to get on the scale because I’m getting frustrated over the same couple of pounds that won’t shift.

Hopefully if I’m more active, the weight will shift. Or my dress size will go down – that’s more important to me, looking good. I'm about to start on SL 5x5 and do less of the running I've been doing.
  • PublicBiker
    PublicBiker Posts: 16 Member
    edited September 2016
    I do. Although my counter is set to 1700 calories, I'm closer to 1800. I started with 1200 calories a day, and was borderline not functional, weak, shaky, dizzy, and anxious. Plus I also did not lose much weight, so add frustrated to the list of descriptive adjectives as well. Thus I increased, and things are moving, slow, but steady, and I am none of the above any longer. Still hungry on occasion, but I am also learning what my body needs, so I am still in trial and error mode in terms of timing of meals, and macros. It was a lot easier when I was younger. Calorie reduction was all that's needed, and the body was so much more forgiving. Losing weight over 50 seems so much more complicated, I find. For me anyway.
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Just read through most of this tread - such great information here.

I've weighed between 162-165 for MONTHS, but I've been netting usually less than 1200 calories. Now that I'm lifting heavy 4x a week - 2 days upper body, 2 days lower body - on top of teaching and taking barre and group fitness classes, I'm burning 600+ calories on a "less active" day. I'm working on eating more, but who knew it would be so hard. I haven't logged dinner yet since I don't know what I'll be having, but I've only netted 778 calories at the moment - with eating a cookie, snacks, breakfast, lunch...

It's a mind game to get past the numbers. Seeing MORE is hard. But, I went to a dietitian a week and a half ago who encouraged me to eat more and to count macros instead of calories.

I'm rambling, but this has been such a great thread for me. I want to lose another 20lbs or so, while lifting heavy and getting stronger. Rationally, I know I need food to do it!
  • flavelljudy
    flavelljudy Posts: 9 Member
    Hi. I am new to this concept. Let me see if I understand.... the concept is to eat more, but also to burn more with exercise and strength training, and to keep net calories so that weight still goes down (for example, if MFP tells me I need to have 1400 calories to lose one pound a week, this higher calorie concept says I should eat maybe 1800 or more, as long as I exercise enough to get to 1400 net. Is that right?
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    sarahkw04 wrote: »
    Just read through most of this tread - such great information here.

I've weighed between 162-165 for MONTHS, but I've been netting usually less than 1200 calories. Now that I'm lifting heavy 4x a week - 2 days upper body, 2 days lower body - on top of teaching and taking barre and group fitness classes, I'm burning 600+ calories on a "less active" day. I'm working on eating more, but who knew it would be so hard. I haven't logged dinner yet since I don't know what I'll be having, but I've only netted 778 calories at the moment - with eating a cookie, snacks, breakfast, lunch...

It's a mind game to get past the numbers. Seeing MORE is hard. But, I went to a dietitian a week and a half ago who encouraged me to eat more and to count macros instead of calories.

I'm rambling, but this has been such a great thread for me. I want to lose another 20lbs or so, while lifting heavy and getting stronger. Rationally, I know I need food to do it!

I made small changes to add calories in the beginning. Olive oil instead of cooking spray, butter instead of butter spray, mixed nuts, peanut butter, sour cream on my fajitas ;) little changes like that can add 200-300 calories without making you feel really full. Now, I have no trouble fitting in the extra food!
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Hi. I am new to this concept. Let me see if I understand.... the concept is to eat more, but also to burn more with exercise and strength training, and to keep net calories so that weight still goes down (for example, if MFP tells me I need to have 1400 calories to lose one pound a week, this higher calorie concept says I should eat maybe 1800 or more, as long as I exercise enough to get to 1400 net. Is that right?

In a nutshell, yes. You do have to be very careful not to overestimate your calorie burn though. If you do, you'll be netting much higher than you think you are.
    You should be exercising for reasons such as improving mood, strengthening your heart and lungs, reshaping your body, maintaining muscle mass that is lost with age, and keeping your mobility.
    Don't fall into the trap, as I have in the past of eating a lot and THEN burning it off. You'll get yourself in a viscious cycle of having to work out super hard to burn off indescretions.
    Do an exercise you enjoy. Do an amount of exercise you think you can maintain long term, and eat accordingly.
    Any able bodied person that is willing to move their body more, doesn't have to starve themself to lose weight.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    great info ladies :)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Time for a bump up on this thread.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    So happy this got bumped again!! I've really struggled the last few months, and my weight crept back up to 148 (I'm 5'3). I'm between 1650-1750 on a cut and working out 5-6 days/week doing Jaime Eason's Live Fit program now. I'll go back to maintenance for a while after the program ends in January and that'll be around 1950-2050, I think.
  • meepandbaby
    meepandbaby Posts: 21 Member
    Idk of I count because yes I have lost 37 lbs eating well above 1800 but I'm also breastfeeding I see the biggest change in my face
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    I just started a new weight gain plan from my dietitian and it seems to be 2300-2400 calories :astonished:
    Scary for me!
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    i eat based on bmr of 2040 before exercise, lost 9kgs in 3 weeks, add me if u want

Goodness me!!! That's awesome! I'm PM'ing you lol
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited November 2016
    I just started a new weight gain plan from my dietitian and it seems to be 2300-2400 calories :astonished:
    Scary for me!

dont be scared Ive been maintaining on that or more for years. :) I see youve been on 1000-1400 for awhile?? You must be losing on that! Good luck with the weight gain.