Healthy, but good Restaurant options

2»

Replies

• joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    I like Red Lobster if you can resist the cheese biscuits. And Japaneese steakhouse is not bad. But you know what I try to do if I know I'm going out is I just try to exercise a little more. But you know I really think it does your body and mind good tomess up every once in a while. But seafood is not high in fat or calories especially if its broiled or boiled. Which is good to me!! Even for fast food, Wendy's, my girls have dance on Monday night, and I'll get a grilled chicken with just the chicken and lettuce and then get a baked potato. And of coarse every chance I get I save calories for a single serve skinny serve ice cream!! Hay I tell my kids I have to get my daily allowance of calcium!!! But it does usually help to check out the website before you go!!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    You can find at least one not-too-terrible on calories item at almost any restaurant these days. But the sodium is almost always crazy-high. I just plan around the sodium if I know I'm going somewhere that day.

*TGIFriday's - "Under 500" Sirloin meal, I get it with double veg - steamed broccoli and the roasted seasonal veg.
    *Applebees - similar steak and veg plate.
    *Red Robin - Teriyaki Chicken sandwich with no mayo and no cheese. I used to get the cantelope as a side instead of fries, but they don't have that anymore, so I get the apples now. (The other option is mandarin oranges and they are canned and gross).
    *McDonalds - I LOVE the Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken. I only use 1/2 the dressing and it's so flavorful it's plenty for me.
    *Chipotle - Steak and veg bowl with lettuce, salsa (and even guacamole if you like it.)
    *Joe's Crab Shack - Giant tub of snow crab. Even with the red potatoes and 1/2 ear of corn it's still very reasonable. (Just don't use the butter dip)
    *Wendy's - Only thing there I've found for me is a small chili. It's good and filling, but very salty.

Check menus online before you go. Find a good option (or two if possible) for every restaurant your family and friends frequent, that way you'll always be prepared!
  • TiltingAtWindmills
    TiltingAtWindmills Posts: 44 Member
    Panera Bread. The calories are posted right there on the menu, making it so easy to choose wisely. I was too tired to cook tonight and I had chicken soup and half a turkey sandwich for just 300 calories ("pick two" menu).
  • Pita Pit and Cafe Yumm are my go-to choices. They are sort of fast food though, at least Pita Pit. Cafe Yumm is in between. I also highly recommend Applebee's steak dinner off the 550 calorie menu. It is delicious and satisfying. You can also have 1 or 2 garlic breadsticks with it for a small splurge with out going too overboard.
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    I order a garden salad... but then I ask them to add chicken breast..... but here is what I do if the restaurant will do it..... instaed of regular dressing, I have them make up a 50 / 50 mix of ranch dressing and buffalo sauce....... YUMMO!

Such a great suggestion for the dressing!!!! Sounds delicious :)