What's Really Making Us Fat? Its a interesting theory

1235»

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    So why are some people hungry all the time no matter how much they eat and other people eat just enough to stay slim and are not hungry all the time? Is hunger a psychological condition and does it or should it have no effect on actual eating behavior?
    Hunger causes people to overeat, but it's still the overeating that causes weight gain. You don't have to take that as offensive or blaming, it's just a fact. There are many causes for hunger besides your body needing food.

So even though hunger causes overeating which then causes weight gain, is hunger not important in treating or preventing obesity? Just doesn't make any sense to try to treat the effect (overeating) and not the cause (hunger).
    People overeat for more reasons than just hunger. They overeat out of boredom, habit, stress, etc.
    It is essentially the lack of self-control over quantity and quality that causes people to gain weight.

Except only humans suffer from this. Or better yet only humans in the USA suffer from this. People in other countries for some reason don't get bored or have stress. This is an exaggeration obviously but it seems silly given that certain cultures have obesity problems and others don't. The person/culture controls the quality, and the body controls the quantity.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    This site was meant for support, not insults. :flowerforyou:

oops

I thought this site/forums were made to spurt non scientific theories as fact, quick fix weight loss remedies, high sugar recipes and HRM questions...

my bad

/troll

Don't forget the ever present should i eat my exercise calories!!!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Except only humans suffer from this. Or better yet only humans in the USA suffer from this. People in other countries for some reason don't get bored or have stress.

O'Rly???

16-07-2009-7-23-49-pm-oecd-study1.png
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    That MUST be it!!! It isnt that I was downing MCdonalds, twinkies, fried chicken and cookies and soda every day and I have a metabolic disorder that was going unattended! It was the CHEMICALS!!!!!

Guess what? the food we eat, changes our body chemistry....
    (including our brain chemistry)
  • grinch031
    Except only humans suffer from this. Or better yet only humans in the USA suffer from this. People in other countries for some reason don't get bored or have stress.

O'Rly???

That's why I said it was an exaggeration. The point is I find it hard to believe that US citizens have the most stress, boredom, and whatever other mental reasons we can conceive as to why people overeat over every other country.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member

O'Rly???

That's why I said it was an exaggeration. The point is I find it hard to believe that US citizens have the most stress, boredom, and whatever other mental reasons we can conceive as to why people overeat over every other country.

We have the most food, and we're the most sedentary. How hard is that to understand?

Occam's Razor, ever heard of it?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

O'Rly???

ACF679.jpg

not srs
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    People overeat for more reasons than just hunger. They overeat out of boredom, habit, stress, etc.
    It is essentially the lack of self-control over quantity and quality that causes people to gain weight.

Except only humans suffer from this. . . . .

I've known some dogs and cats who suffer from this.
  • grinch031

O'Rly???

We have the most food, and we're the most sedentary. How hard is that to understand?

Occam's Razor, ever heard of it?

Pretty hard for me to buy that.

Yeah what's your point about Occam's Razor? That I should support the energy balance model as causing obesity because physics equations are the most accurate way to represent biochemistry processes?
  • grinch031

Except only humans suffer from this. . . . .

I've known some dogs and cats who suffer from this.

That's true when you feed them crap food. My cats eat all dry food and get fat. Maybe if they ate a more natural diet that wouldn't be the case.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    Trying to argue science clearly isn't going anywhere, so lets just try practical experience...

I live in America. I lived a sedentary lifestyle and ate a bunch of food (some crap, some nutritious stuff in enormous servings) - more than my body burned - I ate when I was hungry, bored, stressed out, depressed, etc.
    I got really, really fat. Morbidly obese, actually.

And then I got up off my lazy butt, started eating better, and...

Amazingly enough, I'm not fat anymore. In fact, I am in pretty *fantastic* shape by any standard (BMI, Body Fat %, Waist-to-Hip Ratio, Cholesterol and Blood Sugar levels, etc).
    I still live in America, where the culture is all about the easy way out, but the fact is that I no longer consume more than I burn.
    Yes, the vast majority of what I consume is nutritious, but not every bite. If there are obesogens in the junk food I occasionally eat, they aren't working very well.

Period.
  • grinch031
    Trying to argue science clearly isn't going anywhere, so lets just try practical experience...

I live in America. I lived a sedentary lifestyle and ate a bunch of food (some crap, some nutritious stuff in enormous servings) - more than my body burned - I ate when I was hungry, bored, stressed out, depressed, etc.

Amazingly enough, I'm not fat anymore. In fact, I am in pretty *fantastic* shape by any standard (BMI, Body Fat %, Waist-to-Hip Ratio, Cholesterol and Blood Sugar levels, etc).
    I still live in America, where the culture is all about the easy way out, but the fact is that I no longer consume more than I burn.
    Yes, the vast majority of what I consume is nutritious, but not every bite. If there are obesogens in the junk food I occasionally eat, they aren't working very well.

Period.

Well I've never been sedentary, but for the past 10 years since I hit age 20 I've struggled to stay less than 20 lbs overweight. I played tennis 4 days a week for a while, ran half and full marathons, yet I could not drop those 20 lbs. All I had to do was restrict carb intake ignoring total calories, which within the context of this article might've meant removing "obesogens" and I dropped 15 lbs without effort. The last 5 is hard because I'm actually lean now. I'm not ripped but I have an athletic build with reasonable muscle definition now. It became that easy simply by removing the most processed, least natural foods in my diet.

No more binges at night all because I removed "obesogens"?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member

Period.

Well I've never been sedentary, but for the past 10 years since I hit age 20 I've struggled to stay less than 20 lbs overweight. I played tennis 4 days a week for a while, ran half and full marathons, yet I could not drop those 20 lbs. All I had to do was restrict carb intake ignoring total calories, which within the context of this article might've meant removing "obesogens" and I dropped 15 lbs without effort. The last 5 is hard because I'm actually lean now. I'm not ripped but I have an athletic build with reasonable muscle definition now. It became that easy simply by removing the most processed, least natural foods in my diet.

No more binges at night all because I removed "obesogens"?
    That's just getting the most nutritional bang for your caloric buck.
    You can eat one serving of chips (about 15 chips) for 150 calories, or you can eat 5 servings of baby carrots (about 65 baby carrots) for the same 150 calories. Your body not only would be significantly more satisfied with the MASSIVE amount of carrots, you would have gotten a lot of nutrients (and, to be honest, that is so much food you would probably need to be rolled away).
    By removing the processed crap and replacing it with whole foods, you are giving your body more nutrients. A well-nourished body functions better.
    That doesn't mean that there were crazy obesity-causing chemicals in the junk food, they just didn't nourish your body very well. That's why getting the majority of your caloric intake is good for your overall health (regardless of your weight), but candy bars don't have special "obesogens" in them that are going to make you fat again, especially if you just keep them to an occasional treat.