are you really supposed to eat before and after??

2»

Replies

• athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    I went searching for studies on this topic before. I found a few that seemed to be referring to what I was looking for.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10575631
    A study using rats:
    "These results suggest the possibility that ingesting a meal right after resistance exercise may contribute to an increase in the muscle mass and to a decrease in the adipose tissue compared to ingesting a meal several hours later."

Here are many more that could be related:

http://goo.gl/Cjf8Q

One conclusion: "These results suggest that glucose ingestion 15 min before prolonged exercise provides an additional carbohydrate source to the exercising muscle, thus improving endurance running capacity."
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Carbs/Protein LOW FAT is what you eat around your work out. Try to eat your post workout meal asap!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Try to eat your post workout meal asap!

why?
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    I wouldn't think it matters too much and depends what kind of workout you're doing. I can't work-out straight after eating anything big and try to go and work out between breakfast and lunch. So porridge in the morning - let it digest for an hour - go and workout, come back and have lunch (sandwich). Just find what works best for you. I think it matters more if you're doing strength training and/or trying to gain muscle.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    ... to determine how many calories you burned... take MFP's estimate and multiply it by about 0.66. The calorie burn estimates on this site are WILDLY off.

So the MFP estimates are lower than actual burn? I'm okay with that, I try to overestimate what I consume and under estimate what I burn anyway, that way the worst that can happen is I lose more than I planned on.

The MFP estimates are WAY high. It might be dependent on your conditioning. For instance... if i go for a 40 mile bike ride... and average around 18 mph it will estimate my calorie burn total at about 2500 calories. I know from very close monitoring of my food in take, general awareness of my effort level, and bicyclist oriented calorie burn estimators that my real calorie burn is actually closer to something around 1500-1600 calories. Though, perhaps for a regular joe who bikes 4 times a year... the 2500 calories might be a more realistic estimate... I just think people should approach these calorie estimates with skepticism as we are all predisposed to wanting to think we are working harder than we might actually be :).