Increasing Calories - What to expect & why you need patience...

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    You have the right principle down - eat less than you burn by a reasonable amount.

Which means you of course need a clue to both sides of the equation.

If you have kept a constant weight for last 5 years - then you can easily find out your true TDEE for your current activity level.

Merely log exactly what you eat for a couple weeks, but do NOT change your diet or activity level yet.

Whatever that amount eaten is your TDEE.

Then ONLY change one variable at a time.

Like if you want to exercise more to change the body - keep eating exactly the same and add exercise.

If you do change the eating - make it an equal calorie swap.

Where people get into trouble is making massive wholesale changes to both - they eat a whole lot less and exercise a whole lot more - bad combo giving an unreasonable deficit.

Little less of one and little more of the other is all that's needed. Or just more good exercise.

Now - with Fitbit you have opportunity to see how accurate it is during the 2 weeks of accurate food logging.
    Log food by weight, not volume measurements. Figure out the serving size from there.
    For instance, you weigh a bag of chips prior to eating some, subtract the end after eating whatever you'd normally eat - there's your grams eaten. Grams eaten / grams per serving = servings eaten.
    Log it with that many servings.

If you eat out often - get ready for inaccuracy. If fast food - actually better than restaurants for accuracy.

Home cooked meals - weight of everything thrown in the recipe - figure out servings later.
    Weigh the pot/dish prior to finished cooked weight of meal in the pot/dish.
    Now you know how many calories total in that whole dish, and can figure out if you ate 200 g of it how many calories that would be.

Regarding what those numbers mean.
    1979 was your base eating goal with your selected activity level of Sedentary and no exercise accounted for.
    MFP added 307 after getting daily burn estimate from Fitbit - either exercise or you aren't sedentary or combo.
    So you get 1979 + 307 = 2286 to eat now.
    You ate 740 so far, so 2286 - 740 = 1546 left to eat, to keep whatever deficit amount you selected.

Again - suggest you put MFP to maintain so there is no deficit, keep at sedentary if you are.
    Let Fitbit sync with MFP.
    But 2 weeks is only logging of food.

You can't really do the average TDEE method you described while using the Fitbit synced - but why guess from among 5 rough levels when you have a device telling you infinite levels that MFP will use and adjust from?
    So when it comes time to it, you'd merely take a reasonable deficit on MFP that matches the 15% of your average TDEE that Fitbit says you have.
    Your weekly Fitbit emails will show this figure.
  • maukst
    maukst Posts: 2 Member
    I just joined this group, and am confused as to where you are all finding out what kind of foods to eat. I know we are supposed to eat more food, but is there a book on maybe some menu examples. And is this also for maybe low-carb or low gluten, or is it just eating healthy, but more of it? Thanks for all you help,
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    maukst wrote: »
    I just joined this group, and am confused as to where you are all finding out what kind of foods to eat. I know we are supposed to eat more food, but is there a book on maybe some menu examples. And is this also for maybe low-carb or low gluten, or is it just eating healthy, but more of it? Thanks for all you help,

I build my meals around protein. We hunt so lots of wild game because its available. I eat foods i enjoy eating up to the amount of calories eaten and the grams of protein i am aiming for. Most days my meals are healthy but occasionally they are not :)
  • smckean4
    smckean4 Posts: 5 Member
    I had Sleeve Gastrectomy 2 years ago and have been at a stall for about a year. I know I need to increase my calories because I'm only at 1,000, but it's hard to do with a small stomach. Would you suggest drinking protein shakes to boost my calories? I also use Saxenda and it curbs my appetite. Such a frustrating journey.
  • heybales
    Increasing slowly with only weeks adding 100 extra daily should give you the chance to figure out where to add them.

With smaller stomach - you will need more meals daily. Suggest you keep them balanced with carbs/protein/fat so no small meal drops blood sugar and makes you hungrier than you need to be.

Might have to get off the Saxenda slowly since you need appetite.

And protein shake at night is just fine, gives body something to repair with during best time of repair.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    When I finally switched to maintain, I found it hard to eat 2,300+ calories, but had to wean my stomach back in. The other bit is that I wasn't eating anything and everything. While losing weight, I discovered my body felt better with more carbs but didn't do so well with sodium. I was so bloated at the end of the day. And not by fat, it was Edema - water retention in my body because of sodium.
    Then with me wanting to gain muscle, I done my research online and cross referenced and came up with my own formula specifically designed for what my body needed, my sex and age.
    I did have a Bio Screening the year before, so I knew my numbers. My glucose was 101, it's supposed to be below 100. So a very low sugar number on my graph and don't go over and takes cinnamon capsules to help balance out my sugar levels and get them down.
    Then by me wanting to gain muscle (naturally) one key component is carbs, and again, not any carbs, healthy carbs. But carbs can become sugar if you're not too careful. I read that eating salads can help soak up the sugar. Like drinking a whole bottle of water at once can flush out the sodium (and or sugar, something) in your system. Even heard you can do the same with bread. But any kind of bread is bad carbs.
    I still eat bread, just not a lot.
    Then protein can help keep your carbs in balance from your carbs becoming sugar. But this doesn't mean to pound on the beef and pork, for they are loaded with cholesterol and sodium. It's mainly baked chicken and fish for me.
    I still eat beef and pork, just not a lot.
    Then there's fat. I found out the best way to boost my fat numbers is to eat peanut butter. But again, read the labels and look for no fructose, any sort of fructose can lead to extra sugar in your blood.
    And yet to balance out the cholesterol, I eat honey nut cheerios. Does have brown sugar in it, but I still stay under without going over.

So I'm pretty much on a diet consisting of:
    High protein
    High carbs
    Medium fat
    Low sugar
    Low sodium
    Low cholesterol

Add all that to a schedule of working out three times a week, working six days a week with 11,000 steps daily and it works, for my body.

• heybales
    All carbs (except insoluble fiber) become blood sugar really, the difference is in the speed and what other nutrients are with them. The speed can be effected by health issues of course.
    Excess protein not needed also is converted to sugar, slower though once body has no need of it, or you don't eat all the essential amino acids and right ratios and so some are unavailable to use so turned to carbs you might say.

Eating protein can release glucagon which is opposite effect to insulin, increasing blood sugar levels.
    But it doesn't really prevent what was going to happen.
  • gfjazz
    gfjazz Posts: 285 Member
    Thanks new a week which I love
    No it does not get easier
    Trying for 1300 calories but tuff when I am watching carbs
  • ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
    Hi! I read read and read EM2WL and am trying to up my cals atleast to my maintainence that is 1500..... I'm 5'7 and weight 77 kgs 34 years F. I do 30 day shred L 3 and 45 mins cardio for the rest can anyone help me with my workouts? I want to lose weight i'm in a stall since two months of working out and dieting but now convinced to increase my cals as suffered fr back ach while working out! Help
  • heybales
    ibtmas wrote: »
    Hi! I read read and read EM2WL and am trying to up my cals atleast to my maintainence that is 1500..... I'm 5'7 and weight 77 kgs 34 years F. I do 30 day shred L 3 and 45 mins cardio for the rest can anyone help me with my workouts? I want to lose weight i'm in a stall since two months of working out and dieting but now convinced to increase my cals as suffered fr back ach while working out! Help

Just suggest you increase slowly while you focus more on workouts that are stronger resistance, less cardio focus. So if you have a choice between workouts, the one that leaves your muscles tired rather than breathing hard the whole time.

At the least while increasing calories - though you may like the improvements to the body enough to keep that focus.
  • ibtmas
    edited February 2016

Just suggest you increase slowly while you focus more on workouts that are stronger resistance, less cardio focus. So if you have a choice between workouts, the one that leaves your muscles tired rather than breathing hard the whole time.

At the least while increasing calories - though you may like the improvements to the body enough to keep that focus.[/quote]

Ok! So this means that i can carry on with my workouts and add more strength training while increasing my cals.... I hope it would help me with weight loss too. Can u plz tell me how long should your workouts be if you strength train for weight loss?
  • heybales
    Ok! So this means that i can carry on with my workouts and add more strength training while increasing my cals.... I hope it would help me with weight loss too. Can u plz tell me how long should your workouts be if you strength train for weight loss?

Usually your body will let you know because you are no longer effective at lifting a decent amount of weight if you go too long.

Meaning at current strength levels, you do a weight that is hard at 8-12 reps, couple sets maybe. After a few such exercises you could be tapped out at 30 min.

Later, doing same reps and more weight, you could make it to 45 min because body recovers better.

Meaning the answer is - it depends. But right now, if you attempted 60 min say - you'd like be getting a very ineffective workout for the last 30 min, really a waste of time probably.

Also - keep clearly in mind - exercise and workouts and strength training and cardio, whatever you do - is not for weight loss. Side effect is usually water weight gain.

Diet is for weight loss, done right just fat loss, done wrong includes muscle mass.

Exercise is for heart health and body improvements, done right supports fat loss, done wrong helps muscle loss.

The ONLY thing exercise helps with for diet is the fact when you exercise you burn more daily. When you take a deficit from that higher number for the diet - you may adhere better eating more rather than less.

For instance, say you burned 2000 without exercise on average, and 500 cal deficit was reasonable and that means eating 1500.

Or with exercise you burn on average 2500, so now 500 cal deficit means you get to eat 2000.

Which do you think will be easier to eat at?
    Which will change your body more?
    Which will you adhere to better?
  • Candicem99
    Candicem99 Posts: 71 Member
    Can not eating enough carbs affect fat loss? I average about 10-15 net carbs a day eating about 1900-2000 calories a day. I lift 3 days a week and do HIIT 2 days a week.
  • ibtmas
    Thankyou soo much! U r amazing! U make us get each point clearly.... Started strength training today.... Did for fifteen mins upper body with 10 lb weights at each side.... Could do fifteen reps each.... Wow! Never knew i was that strong!! ;)
  • heybales
    Candicem99 wrote: »
    Can not eating enough carbs affect fat loss? I average about 10-15 net carbs a day eating about 1900-2000 calories a day. I lift 3 days a week and do HIIT 2 days a week.

Well, only in the sense if it creates extra stress on the body. And I'll bet it is.

How many of the diets with very low card actually prescribe an exercise routine like you are trying to do that is high carb burning? Shoot, even Paleo and similar talk of killer and chronic cardio - and that is lower carb burning than what you are doing. Though it is for longer usually, which makes it worse.

The fact you don't eat much of them, and body burns a tad more fat at rest (not feeding brain glucose) - doesn't change the fact that when intensity and effort go up enough, your ratio of fuel source starts going towards glucose more than fat until you reach anaerobic and 100% glucose.

The fact your body isn't storying many of them, being in greatly depleted state compared to not very low carb - means it is a stress.

Now, I'm sure your body has adjusted what you can actually accomplish in your routine - and unless you could compare to not doing it low carb - you have no idea how well your body could perform. I'm sure it feels like giving it your all.
    But try giving it your all on pushups or jumping jacks - holding your breath, compared to breathing normal.

Pretty sure I know which one is going to feel harder.
    Pretty sure I know which one you can accomplish more with though.

Same thing with your workouts that are anaerobic and almost total carb burn during the hard part.

Now - if you eat a lot more protein to make up for the low carbs - then your body is getting carbs - it's making glucose from the excess protein it can't do anything with - and actually with those workouts, it's probably taking some anyway from what could be used. If eating at/near maintenance - the effect shouldn't be as bad.

But that's still stressful on the body, as that process is not fast and it takes a lot of energy - hence the potential for low carbs to work so well.

Now - if you eat more fat to make up for carbs - then just plain stressful as body attempts to get some glucose to store for next workout.

I'd be curious if you can find any references in Atkins or similar very low carb that speak of what types of exercise to do if you do some.
    Primal and Paleo say do some sprints and lifting, and walking - but more of the latter and not much of the former.
    In fact they modify their diets for those that just want to do endurance cardio against their initial advice - because they recognize many want to also.
  • Candicem99
    Candicem99 Posts: 71 Member
    Thanks Heybales. It is not that I am trying for that low with carbs, it just seems to be where it is falling when I have been tracking. I eat Paleo so that is naturally high fat/low carb. The majority of my carbs come from veggies and then when you factor in the fiber, my net carbs is low. Guess I need to see how to get the carbs up a little higher
  • ibtmas
    Ok! I've increased my cals to 16-1700 (1870 tdee at sedentary) and i'm eating back half of my workout cals.... Started strength training thrice a week alternating with Hiit.... Lost 1lb after 12 days.... I'm confused about my macros.... I've set them at C45 F20 P35...... Is it ok if want to lose or should it be 40 30 30??
  • heybales
    Ok! I've increased my cals to 16-1700 (1870 tdee at sedentary) and i'm eating back half of my workout cals.... Started strength training thrice a week alternating with Hiit.... Lost 1lb after 12 days.... I'm confused about my macros.... I've set them at C45 F20 P35...... Is it ok if want to lose or should it be 40 30 30??

Don't need more protein than 0.82 g/lb of bodyweight, unless you just want the extra for some reason and have the money to do it. No extra benefit usually.

Fat at .35 g/lb of body weight.

Carbs get the rest.

Depending on weight and calorie amount, that many times comes in around 40/30/30 - but then again - may not.
  • ibtmas
    Since the last twelve days i've been struggling to increase my cals and now i'm fix at 1800 with 40/30/30. To remind you i'm 5'7, housewife and workout 3-4 days strength with 10 and 20 lbs. rest days HIIT 25 mins....while increasing cals i went down to 76 kgs but today i'm 78! The weight keeps fluctuating between 77-78
  • ibtmas
    At scooby with 15% deficit and working out 1-3 hr/ week i got my tdee with cut 1800...... Now should i inc/dec my cals or keep going with 1800 for six weeks?