Increasing Calories - What to expect & why you need patience...

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    3-4 x how many minutes of strength training?
    3 x 25 min of HIIT on other days - hardly rest day by the way, HIIT is not rest, but if done correctly as close to lifting as you can get doing cardio - and it really deserves it's only rest for recovery.
    If doing something else that HIIT label has been slapped on, may not be that bad.

So Lightly Active is maybe correct (depending on length of strength) if exercise was only other activity you do besides a 45 hr desk job/commute and no kids/pets not much other activity.

But how busy during the day outside of exercise - sitting for 9 - 12 hrs daily?

Likely fluctuating so much because on verge of being near TDEE and glucose stores are topping off and depleting depending on what happens that day.

Did you use the Just TDEE Please spreadsheet on my profile page? Or it matched the rough 5 level TDEE table?
  • ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I started doing true strehgth almost three weeks back,duration is almost 30 to 40 min( incliding warm up/ cooldown) with 15 reps repeating three times each. I hav actually reduced my cardio workouts so that i can meet my tdee. Have kids and cook for them and iron, got maid for cleaning and washing so not much to work around. Do home tutions to my kids so mostly sitting in the evenings.
    I tried to use your tdee spreadsheet, copied on google doc but its showing error on bmr tdee &tdeg... For mfp setting it hav asked to take sedentry option with maitenance and that is 1840.
  • heybales
    Options
    I'd copy again, probably corruption. If you deleted a non-yellow cell (or orange-yellow), like red or what could have appeared empty cell, probably deleted a required formula.
    Or confirm you got stat's on right section for US or metric only.

For daily life - are you sitting for 9 hrs a day a sedentary desk job would cause? - and even there someone that is active with family in the evening ends up being not sedentary. Sedentary in that description is really a bump on a log - including weekends. Talking less than 3000 steps daily.
    3K- 4K seems to be where people with Fitbit find they start to get extra calorie burn for the day over the MFP sedentary, which is same as spreadsheet with no check marks.

So strength training is 3.5 x 35 min = 123 min weekly.
    W/U & C/D is whatever level of cardio you do.
    HIIT is high cardio for 75 min.

I'd say daily activity of sedentary job with kids then,
  • ibtmas
    Options
    So i keep eating at 1800 for next three weeks and wait?
  • heybales
    Options
    Don't know, you didn't answer questions to help guess.

But considering 1840 is MFP's estimate of sedentary with no exercise - the easy answer is no - you'll be higher than that because you do exercise and likely aren't exactly sedentary either.

But how long were you at a reset eating maintenance?
  • ibtmas
    Options
    I gradually started to increase every week 100 cals fr 1300 in Feb and reached 1800 on 1st March...... While i was on 1600-1700 i lost 2 lbs but gained back 4lbs in two weeks of 1800.
  • jimswife1984
    jimswife1984 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting this is what i needed
  • heybales
    Options
    ibtmas wrote: »
    I gradually started to increase every week 100 cals fr 1300 in Feb and reached 1800 on 1st March...... While i was on 1600-1700 i lost 2 lbs but gained back 4lbs in two weeks of 1800.

Sadly you cannot really base much on results at the start, as you have all kinds of reasons for valid water weight fluctuations, and dealing with suppressed TDEE going higher.

Why?

People can be eating 1400 and not losing or gaining. Is that their Potential TDEE?

When they eat 1600 and not gain or lose either, it proves out 1400 was not.

But now is 1600?

Can't prove out until eating more.

And the eating slightly above potential TDEE needs to be by enough to show non-water weight changes.

250 more than maintenance is a slow 1 lb gain over 2 weeks.

But even that requires valid weigh-ins on each side of the 2 weeks. And a woman better select those 2 weeks wisely based on experience.
    And heaven forbid you forget and eat that Chinese meal day before weigh-in even though it fit your calories.

So always want to do the math - mainly to prove out what it could not be, and therefore what it must be.

4 lb gain x 3500 / 14 days = 1000 calories above maintenance each and every day if you think it was fat.

Therefore 1800 eaten - 1000 = 800 as true maintenance.

So obviously not true, so it wasn't fat which isn't fast going on or off.

Same as 2 lbs if you do the math. Was 1600-1700 really 500-1000 below real maintenance (depending on 1 or 2 weeks to lose it) during that time? Perhaps potential TDEE, but your literal suppressed TDEE right then?

Nope.

So once you prove not fat - can spend some time thinking about what caused the water weight changes - or accept the fact they happen, and it's only water weight after all.
  • ibtmas
    Options
    Thankyou so much for your explanation.... I think i'm not ready to up my calories at the moment.... I hardly reach 1800 forcing my body to eat! I'll keep going for 1800 maybe next 2 to 3 more weeks then increase....
  • perk1960
    perk1960 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I needed that because the scale was on the rise and I am craving sweets. I have been going at this my whole life and was able to keep my weight down with many hours in the gym (military). For the last 10 years I haven't been active as I should because we live in a rural area and my job is sedentary (but I love my job). Therefore, I've gained an outrageous amount of weight, higher than when I was pregnant :( Need motivation to keep going and your post helped. Thank you again!
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @ibtmas, how's the calorie increase working for you?
    @perk1960 how about you?

This journey needs patience and takes time for sure, but it's very rewarding. It's not a quick fix but it means not spinning wheels again and achieving ongoing results for life. Check the EM2WL site (www.eatmore2weighless.com) for support, inspiration and answers related to this journey. Also keep an eye on the Periscope live videos broadcast links that we have been posting on the forums.
  • pamatc2
    pamatc2 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed reading many of these posts...there are just too many to read! I've been eating at my cut of 1850 (even slightly below) and noticed a 2lb gain in a week. I was eating 1300-1500 with no results, no energy and a gradual gain over the past 2 years.

I'm not that worried about the 2lb gain as everyone mentions it happens at first. I think it will take me a few weeks to get my metabolism up and leveled off to start losing the weight, the bad thing is that summer is just about here and I have 40lbs to lose.

Thanks for the motivating posts! Wish me luck as my journey has just begun!
  • heybales
    Options
    @pamatc2 - I'm sure you start eating more and your daily burn with increased energy will go right up - as well as workouts becoming more effective means more repair by the body - increased metabolism for that reason always good.

Just remember that with some good strength workouts, while you may not lose much fat weight as fast as you'd like, what you do lose while body transforms and becomes stronger will look like you lost more.
    Nothing better than people asking if you lost a lot of weight, and you know it's actually minor, but you know the reason why it looks that way.

And hey, if that's a good water weight gain - that will actually increase your metabolism.
  • pamatc2
    pamatc2 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    @haybales - Thanks! Good to know! I have been attempting some strength workouts, just have not been super motivated or found anything specific I love and stick with. I have the P90X program and have used the workouts occasionally, but I don't seem to be able to stay with them more than a few days. When I try doing workouts on my own, I feel like they aren't enough.

For now, I'm embracing my weight gain as healing, since I do feel more energetic and have been sleeping better too!
  • TerezaToledo
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @pamatc2, P90x is fine, but may it's just way too much for now, not necessarily an easy workout to stick with. You don't need to go all or nothing and you can push through your own workouts and get great results, either at home or at the gym. The ideal is always to work your way up, preparing your body for harder workouts and avoid injury.

If you like following video workouts, Cathe has amazing workouts (specially the STS series): http://cathe.com/

We have a great strength training free workout at the EM2WL site: http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/get-your-free-workout/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=DM&utm_campaign=quick start

The key is to find the workout that motivates and energizes you in a way that you can keep doing and improving. Great job on increasing your calories and letting your body heal!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • tj0861
    tj0861 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Mind completely blown. I have NEVER heard this. But I love the cell phone analogy.

I went to tdeecalculator.com and here's what it gave me: "Based on your stats, the best estimate for your maintenance calories is 1,753 calories per day based on the Mifflin-St Jeor Formula, which is widely known to be the most accurate. The table below shows the difference if you were to have selected a different activity level.
    Basal Metabolic Rate 1,460 calories per day. Sedentary 1,753 calories per day."

The EM2WL calculator gives me this:
    Your Daily Calorie Requirements
    BMR (Sick/Bed Rest) 1535
    TDEE (Maintenance) 1842
    Calories based on selected goal 1566

So if I'm to understand this correctly, 1753-15%=1490, but never less than 1460, and add back exercise calories.

Or by the EM2WL, 1842-15%=1566, but never less than 1566.

Really? You promise? I had bariatric surgery 5 years ago, lost 125 pounds, but have gained back 25, so I'm in trouble, and I've been tracking calories and exercise for the last 10 days on another site, usually coming in WAY under the 1200 they allotted me, because I'm afraid to eat!!! So I'm down all of 1.5 pounds, most of which is due to simply not eating. I'm learning to like natural foods, learning to make smoothies with REAL food, and I haven't eaten much junk in several years, but I'm having a hard time thinking I need to eat 1500 calories a day to LOSE weight. Oh, help me.
  • heybales
    Options
    You aren't sedentary - willing to bet that anyway.

The difference in calc is that EM2WL doesn't appear to be using the more accurate Mifflin BMR equation is all.
    Otherwise same formula from the 1919 study that made the TDEE chart.

You could do it that way and add back exercise when actually done - in which case you are doing it MFP method now.

Might as well just use MFP as intended, and pick the same weight loss amount - which appears to be about 250 cal.

So setup MFP as sedentary also if you have no kids/pets keeping you more active at night/weekends. Otherwise Lightly Active on MFP.
    Pick the 250 cal deficit, or 1/2 lb weekly to match what you got above.
    Log your exercise accurately when you actually get to do it. You can take 15% off the calorie burn you are given and log that reduced amount.
    Eat to the new goal that is given you by MFP for that day.

Log food accurately by weight, not volume (grams, not cups/spoons).
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @tj0861 First of all, great job on losing the weight! Not eating on under eating is not the solution. It will actually aggravate the problem. I understand that you were given such a small calorie limit after the surgery so you could drop weight fast and eat small portions due to the new volume of your stomach. I also believe you were advised to increase you protein and make sure it's stays that way.

The issue with eating a such low caloric level is that yur body will end up losing muscle mass, bone mass and will end up cutting on vital functions just to stay alive. It will try to grasp at any bit of calorie you eat and you will stop losing and end up gaining weigth while barely eating.

The difference in the calculators results is not a big deal in the big scheme of life. Even the 1500 calories are way too little for a short, light, sedentary adult. The BMR number is the minumum amout needed for your body to survive if you were in a coma, just to maintain basic functions like breathing. I am sure you are more active than that. If you did light walks, every other day, for instance, you could eat at the 1700/1800 cals level with no issues whatsoever.

But since you have been eating so little, for so long, you need a metabolism reset to be able to increase it. A gradual increase in calories is the way to go so you don't feel bloated and uncomfortable. The EM2WL metablism reset guide should answer most of your questions: http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/

We are here to help you on your journey, don't be shy to ask!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
    www.eatmore2weighless/results
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

The difference in calc is that EM2WL doesn't appear to be using the more accurate Mifflin BMR equation is all.

You could do it that way and add back exercise when actually done - in which case you are doing it MFP method now.

Might as well just use MFP as intended, and pick the same weight loss amount - which appears to be about 250 cal.

So setup MFP as sedentary also if you have no kids/pets keeping you more active at night/weekends. Otherwise Lightly Active on MFP.
    Log your exercise accurately when you actually get to do it. You can take 15% off the calorie burn you are given and log that reduced amount.

heybales wrote: »

Woah! That made my head spin! I think that really complicates things when we are trying to keep it simple.
    Gradually increase your calories rather than taking them straight to the 1500.
    Just go up by 50 calories a week if that's what you are comfortable with.
    Take it steady.
    How many calories are you eating at the moment as you say it's well below the 1200?
    We are here for you.
    ~Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @tj0861 First of all, congrats on losing 125 pounds - that is incredible!

When beginning this journey, it truly is easiest to just use the EM2WL method and figure out your caloric needs then work off of that number. The whole idea of should I "eat back my exercise calories" can confuse people. In fact, in my experience, it can even be detrimental as I have found that people can end up focusing on trying to get bigger burns in order to be able to eat more. This then becomes a vicious cycle.

Personally, I would use a simple calorie calculator like the one on our website:

http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/

to get an idea of what you should be eating. The key is being honest about your activity level - and most people will tend to fall into the Moderate category. If you under estimate your activity level, the net result will still be under-eating.

Coming from such a low level of intake, and with the history of having bariatric surgery, you are definitely going to want to make your increases slowly and remember that your surgery may have an effect on how much you can *physically* eat (which is the whole idea of the surgery).

Also, make sure you take a look at the Metabolism Reset Guide, which will guide you through the whole process:

http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/

Eating less than 1200 calories will definitely slow your metabolism down over the long-term, so you are going to want to get your intake back up to a healthier level. Yes, you will see an initial drop on the scale when eating so little, but obviously this is a slippery slope downwards ... one that you will not be able to continue or maintain, so good job catching it now and doing your research!

Like Tereza said, make sure you are getting in your protein, and make those increases slowly to minimize any discomfort as well as allowing your metabolism time to adjust and adapt upwards.

One thing to keep in mind is that you may get some "kick back" from your bariatric surgeon, as my guess is he or she will not agree with the idea of eating more. But, if you make those food choices healthy, protein-filled choices and not use this as an excuse to sneak extra easily digestible "treats" in you will do great! Keep on doing just like you are doing - rather than focusing too much on cutting out the "junk", concentrate on adding in more whole foods. If you set protein and fiber goals and strive to reach them, those other overly-processed foods will simply be crowded out. So don't focus on what you can't eat, but more on what you *can* and those goals you need to reach each day, and over time you will likely see the types of foods you eat change...

Please know we are here to help you, and also feel free to come over and post on our forums at www.EatMore2WeighLess.com

http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20

and start a journal of your own. We have lot of helpful and supportive members, Moderators, Ambassadors and Team Members over there who will be happy to guide you...

Anitra
    Team EM2WL