Homeless.. Ethical straw poll here. Thanks x

Replies

• calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    u did the right thing. WHat people dont realize is that once these guys become homeless, its almost impossible to get a job. Alot of people think its easy and say "they can get a fast food or general labor job:, ummm, no they cant. Background checks, reliable transportation, past work history, valid drivers ID, their clothing, and references disqualifies them. Ur doing a good thing and it is great u care, show respect, and try to make a difference in his life. The world needs more good people like you.
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    He asked for something for his dog. For that fact alone, the guy deserves whatever you gave him. You should feel really good about it.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    The fact that he asked for food for him and for his dog is telling. People who are out for money to buy drugs or alcohol don't do that. I think you did just right - and the chocolate was a really nice treat! You're a good person.
  • I think you did a kind and generous thing. Its decent to help a fellow human being in need and the right thing to do, you don't need to struggle with your morals over it. Thank you for being so kind! :flowerforyou:
  • DavidOfOz
    DavidOfOz Posts: 225
    It is so easy to judge....we never truly know the reasons why people are where they are in their life. It would annoy me if he was asking, but if you approached him then I have huge respect for both you and him. :)
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 926 Member
    a generous heart is always good. When I see homeless men, women or families, I do not judge what put them there. It could be substance abuse, bad economy, bad life, bad circumstances, or mental illness, but no matter what it was, they are there...at the bottom. I give them what's in my pocket. I have been called naive by other people as if Im squandering my money. If for one solitary moment that person has something they can call theirs, some moment of value, it is worth it.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    I am reading this and years are falling down. It is a person like you who makes this world a beautiful place. You are truly a gift from Heaven. You are God's hands extended! Maybe you are the ONLY one he looks forward to each time you pass by. Thank you for being a gentle heart! And may all your dreams come true! Bless you! :flowerforyou:
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 430 Member
    I think you are a amazing person for being so kind and caring :smile:

I agree. Treating someone with compassion is awesome! He is probably so glad you did!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    I think many of us are just a few paychecks away from homelessness at times. I know I've been there. I don't generally have money to hand out on the street, but the last time I was asked for help, I was on my way into a restaurant--I bought the guy a sandwich and a drink and he could not stop thanking me... I usually donate a couple times a year to local organizations to help people, and I think it's great that you took the time to ask this guy what you could do for him.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    A point from my persecptive is that he accepted your offer of food stuffs for him and his pooch. I have heard tales (not sure they are true) of supposedly homeless and hungry folks being given food and them gertting mad or throwing it away.. and there are folks who only accept money so it makes you wonder what they are really spending it on. If you know for sure this guy is homeless and unemployed and he has accepted food in lieu of money and as far as you cen used it for it's intended purpose then you are a very good and kindhareated soul, and he is the type of person who is derseving of your kindness and charity.

I say Good on You.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    I'm probably way more judgmental than I should be when it comes to this... mainly because I believe being homeless is a CHOICE. There are so many programs (even though I may not agree with the way our government subsidizes those who take advantage) available that they could absolutely have a place to live if they made the effort. I also believe that once they did that... they would then have a much better chance of finding employment as well.

I'm not saying I'm right by any means... because I don't know these individuals or their circustances. I just know that in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "If I give this guy money, he's going to the liquor store". *sigh* It's definitely a moral dilemma.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,014 Member
    What a wonderful thing you did! I also will give changed if I have it but if I am asked for what you were, I'd gotten the stuff at the store. Cash I will gladly donate to homeless shelters and such and I've seen the face of gratitude of a homeless person receiving food or a blanket etc...and it's really special. "Be the change you want to see in the world".
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 673 Member
    i think you did the right thing.

This! You are an awesome person. God Bless You!
  • You did the right thing. It is hard to know what to do sometimes. My guy and I do this thing called "The Midnight Run". A group of us got to the city in two trucks, one food truck and one clothing truck. The program feeds and cloths the homeless. It is heartbreaking seeing this but it is a wake up call that this could be anyone of us out there. I like to believe we we can all do our own little thing to help each-other out!! Good job on your helping hand there!! =)
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    I'm probably way more judgmental than I should be when it comes to this... mainly because I believe being homeless is a CHOICE. There are so many programs (even though I may not agree with the way our government subsidizes those who take advantage) available that they could absolutely have a place to live if they made the effort. I also believe that once they did that... they would then have a much better chance of finding employment as well.

I'm not saying I'm right by any means... because I don't know these individuals or their circustances. I just know that in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "If I give this guy money, he's going to the liquor store". *sigh* It's definitely a moral dilemma.

Yes, many people take advantage of our government's programs. They are the able-bodied, sitting on the porch, getting a government check type of people. Too many are doing nothing except collecting the benefits that we are paying for. However, homelessness is NOT a choice! People have lost their homes through no fault of their own. They have lost their jobs when their company has downsized, closed, or sent all of the jobs overseas.They have lost everything if a family member becomes ill and they don't have the insurance to pay for it. They try to get some of these benefits that they should be eligible for, and are turned down.

There are thousands upon thousands of our veterans, the ones who have given their lives for the freedoms we have in this country, who are HOMELESS!! Do you think this was their choice? They, of all citizens, should be receiving help for their situations, but are tossed out on the street. There are so many challenges these vets have, such as PTSD, and physical disabilities as well, received when they were serving this country.

We have bought cups of coffee, food, and given money to the homeless. Anyone who helps these people in any way are blessed, they are compassionate. "I was hungry, and you gave me food; I was thirsty and you gave me drink; I was naked and you clothed me". Yes, this world should be a do unto others.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    I think you have a very kind and giving heart. Bless you for giving back when you have found yourself in the position to do so! <3

I try to help out thoes less fortunate than myself and teach my children this as well. We have donated to the soup kitchen, bought random homeless people food and water as well as in winter given out spare jackets and sweaters we had around the house to people without. And almost everytime we do so I take my kids with me. I want them to understand that homeless people are just that, PEOPLE. they've needs, and feeling like the rest of us. :smile:
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I lived in Waikiki for a while, and worked the closing shift at Starbucks.
    Every night I would take the left over, unsold food with me and give the homeless guys the food on the walk home.
    I think its nice, you never know the difference you could be making.

None of them were alcoholics, most of them had mental disabilities. It breaks my heart to know the US still doesn't have an efficient way of helping those with mental disorders; unless you have good health insurance. SO many are on the street.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Back in the late 80's I lived in a small town in Montana with my then fiance. We didn't have much, but we had a roof over our heads, a car and enough money to buy a few things to supplement what we got from the food bank. We would occasionally see a homeless person outside the grocery store. One trip shopping my fiance stayed outside and talked with an older homeless gent while I shopped. When I came out, my fiance told me that the gent had agreed to helping us with a few small projects around the house in exchange for a hot home cooked dinner and a shower. So we took him home with us. He helped with the projects, got his shower, and got a good home cooked dinner. When it came time for him to leave, he pulled $100 out of his pocket and gave it to us! He said that he had more than we did, and we needed it more than he did. Never saw him again.
  • aprildawn81
    aprildawn81 Posts: 668 Member
    Homeless what do you do? Theres a homeless chap in my town, keeps himself out of touble to my knowledge and if I have the change I give it to him but don't if I can't afford. Thing is today (he's on the way to my supermarket) I asked if he'd like anything or my change on the way back and, bless him he asked for a sandwich and something for his dog, so, I get him that and some vitamins, chocolate, juice, fruit and sime wet-ones (kinda figured its hard to feel clean on the street). Morally I am now struggling as what if he spends his money on bad stuff, but then surely its better to know he's, eaten. Am I a sap? What would you do? Im interested....ps, two years ago my life was so out of control it could have become me, so maybe I am a soft touch, but don't hold any punches.

I think you should help however you feel you should. If you do your part to help, you aren't responsible for what he does with it. It's just nice to know there are kind people out there that are willing to help, regardless of the fact that something bad could be done with it but, then, maybe nothing bad at all would be done. I'd err on the side of doing what I could to help someone less fortunate.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    If he asked for food more than likely he is not scamming you. Many times scammers or those w/ addictions to alcohol/drugs will tell you they want MONEY! I remember a sermon my pastor gave on this very subject. You have to do what is in your heart to do. If the person in "need" doesn't use it appropriately, you as a Christian have given of your heart. That action or actions may in turn eventually change that person. Do you feel worse giving or NOT giving?