Israel's new law bans overly skinny models

Options
13»

Replies

• Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    (Which is WHY I take such issue with seatbelt laws. I am NOT hurting anyone else by not wearing one, so BACK the *$(#*#&^) OFF Gov't!!)

Well you could be if you came through the windscreen and hit someone else SMH
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    (Which is WHY I take such issue with seatbelt laws. I am NOT hurting anyone else by not wearing one, so BACK the *$(#*#&^) OFF Gov't!!)

Uh, good point, but I would have to see some facts to show this has EVER happened, lol. :) However, so could something in my backseat, but I don't have to seatbelt that in by law (yet!!). So pretty sure the law is to prevent your own dealth.

But good point. :D
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Uh, good point, but I would have to see some facts to show this has EVER happened, lol. :) However, so could something in my backseat, but I don't have to seatbelt that in by law (yet!!). So pretty sure the law is to prevent your own dealth.

Challenge accepted, just going searching the internet, I'll be back lol, and UK laws say that seatbelts must be used in the back seats too
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options

Challenge accepted, just going searching the internet, I'll be back lol, and UK laws say that seatbelts must be used in the back seats too

Hahah, love it. :)
    And I meant someTHING, like a peice of cargo. I have heard that this sort of thing can kill the vehicle's occupants, but haven't heard if it can get oustide and kill other vehicle occupants...

And you know what's funny? Big school busses don't even HAVE seatbelts. WHY IS THAT?!
    My mom always said, if someone can ride a motorcycle, why should have to wear a seatbelt, that is way more dangerous?!

But I digress. :D
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Laws SHOULD be in place to protect us from EACH OTHER. Murder = bad, because it HURTS SOMEONE ELSE. Speeding = bad because maybe (stretch!), reckless driving could hurt others. (Which is WHY I take such issue with seatbelt laws. I am NOT hurting anyone else by not wearing one, so BACK the *$(#*#&^) OFF Gov't!!)

Just want to throw this out there, you are hurting people paying insurance premiums if you get into an accident and rack up tons of medical bills because you were not wearing a seatbelt (when said seatbelt could have prevented these injuries)

Especially for people that are uninsured and the rest of us have to eat the medical costs.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Topic: Too-Skinny Models

Back to it LOL
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile in Gaza, a mother and father can't feed their children...
  • LosingLizard
    Options

Isn't every law force legislating morality? Murder = bad. Stealing = bad. Speeding = bad. Why? Because they can all hurt someone. I don't agree speeding is bad, but they law says it is, so it is. Forced morals.

Laws SHOULD be in place to protect us from EACH OTHER. Murder = bad, because it HURTS SOMEONE ELSE. Speeding = bad because maybe (stretch!), reckless driving could hurt others. (Which is WHY I take such issue with seatbelt laws. I am NOT hurting anyone else by not wearing one, so BACK the *$(#*#&^) OFF Gov't!!)

Anyhow, the gov'ts TRUE job of protecting society from those that hurt others is WAAAY different than forced morals. However, they coincide with most people's morals because most religions etc also "ban" behavior that hurts others. Don't mix them up, however.

I wasn't mixing them up. I'm not remotely religious at all, but I still think murder is wrong. And not just because it is illegal. If it wasn't illegal, I still wouldn't do it. It's not illegal to hunt, but I can't do that either. My morals say so. But in that respect, I'm not in the majority. And the phrase "moral majority" exists for a reason. Because that which is morally agreed upon is what becomes the laws of society. And if you still disagree with that, look at the gay marriage debate. (WHICH I AM NOT STARTING HERE.) But gay marriage harms no one (STILL NOT STARTING THIS DEBATE), and yet it is illegal in many states. Why? Because the moral majority think it's wrong. Forced morals.

I still think there are far better things the government should be dealing with (education), but I'm not going to say that if is this a law, it's not a bad thing.

The only part that concerns me is the barriers. What decides "too skinny" versus people naturally thin? If you ban too skinny, do you have to ban too fat to be fair? Currently, these are mostly judgement calls. We all know BMI is inaccurate on the obese end, since many athletes score as obese, even when they are in top condition due to their muscle mass. Is it equally as inaccurate on the thin side? I've never heard that, but I'm sure there is a way it could be. "Too skinny" isn't a black and white call.

Regardless, I do think it is a step in the right direction. But the fashion industry needs a giant overhaul, not just in the area of eating disorders. I'd also like to go after those that over-sex underage children. I mean, go look at the Vera Wang bridal collection. All her bridal models look like starved child-brides about to become a victim of a pedophile. The dresses always seem to balloon around them, they never smile, and they look 12. It's disturbing. I want to feed and rescue them, not buy the dresses. And Vera Wang is considered a top bridal designer.
  • Sascha
    Sascha Posts: 204
    Options
    Hi folks!

A friendly reminder to stay on topic- if you disagree with the topic and/or other members, either speak with them privately via message or choose to not respond.

The guidelines to follow:
    - No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

- No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) No pro-anorexia or pro-bulimia posts, groups, profile names, or profile bylines. Photos intended to promote or glamorize extreme thinness are also not permitted.

- Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals

No derogatory references to sex, gender, ethnicity, religions, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community.

- No Political Topics in the Main Forums

Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal.

Thanks for understanding!
    Julie
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Just want to throw this out there, you are hurting people paying insurance premiums if you get into an accident and rack up tons of medical bills because you were not wearing a seatbelt (when said seatbelt could have prevented these injuries)

Especially for people that are uninsured and the rest of us have to eat the medical costs.

Meh... we already eat the medical costs of everyone that goes into the ER for every ingrown toenail...

~~~

But to get back on topic... I do agree that if they set the bar here... where is it going to move later? While I get that (and even agree) that ad agencies shouldn't be touting every girl that looks like Skelator as "perfection" and that they should ease up on it... what did we really expect? We as a society buy into the notion that this thing or that is going to make us look like airbrushed Twiggy or whomever... It's a fantasy the ad agency creates to sell their product and we (as a society) buy into it because we want to be thin, glamerous and slow to age... So it's our fault that design houses and ad agencies use these people....