A question for tofu eaters?

13»

Replies

• mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Most people don't like tofu because they don't know how to prepare it. What type of tofu you use depends on what you're making. Tofu scrambles are best with silken tofu. Other dishes are better with extra firm tofu. Most tofu needs to be pressed before it's used. But tofu can be cooked pretty much any way you want. Baked, fried, boiled, whatever. Seitan and soy curls are also awesome meat replacers.
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    I fix tofu with Indian curries but I also add eggplant to it.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    I love tofu! It's not a health food at all though. I wouldn't it eat in large amounts or every day.

I like to marinate cubed tofu in soy sauce, brown sugar, and chilli paste for a couple hours, then pan fry in olive oil.
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Fool- proof method:

Drain it from package
    Wrap it in paper towels.
    Place between 2 plates.
    Put something heavy on the plate.
    Wait 10 minutes.
    Throw away paper towels and repeat the process.
    Cut it into cubes or triangles.
    Make a sauce (soy, sesame oil, ginger, garlic).
    Put tofu in sauce and toss around.
    Place tofu on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
    Broil until golden.
    Put in whatever dish you like.

Edit: Use extra firm for best results.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    love tofu but cut eat it that much as the soy makes me very bloated.... anyone else have that problem?
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    You can do a lot with tofu. If I'm using it as a protein in a meal I'll usually press it for at least an hour with my tofu press, but before I had a press I would just layer it between some paper towels and put a heavy book on top of it. You get a much more dense quality from it that way, and you can also marinade your pressed tofu so that it will soak up more of the juice.

You can also freeze your tofu, and when it's thawed out you get a more "meaty" texture from it.

Generally as long as you're not expecting it to be a perfect analogue for meat, you can do anything you want with it.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Easiest way to prepare it is to get medium to firm tofu, dry it off, cut it up and broil it up until crisp.

From there, put it on sandwiches or into stirfries, or just dip it in BBQ or whatever you like and snack on it.

It's cheap, high in protein, and easy to prepare.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    I like my tofu stir fried best.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    I usually buy extra firm tofu and add it to stir fry.

I found a recipe for roasted tofu yesterday that looks good but I haven't tried it yet. Here's the recipe in case anyone is interested...
    http://cookieandkate.com/2011/roasted-tofu-with-quinoa/
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Easy peasy and crazy delish - marinade a nice firm block of tofu in your favourite marinade and bbq on medium until crispy on the outside.

Eat as is or slice up and thrown on top of a salad...

OMG EEEEEYYYYYUUMMMMYYYY.

Even my uber carnivore husband will eat it, and my kids love it!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Some really good ideas here!

I just bought some firm tofu today from the local Asian store, so I'm going to have a go at playing around and make a vegan tofu teriyaki stir-fry with rice noodles, spinach and zucchini... YUM I'm hungry just thinking about it.

I'll have to try the draining thing - I had no idea you had to do that. I tried tofu about a year ago but never drained it, and I think I got the wrong texture for stir-frying.

I'll try marinading first, and then dicing and adding to the stir-fry, which should be a win I think!

Will keep you posted :happy:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    i get firm tofu from the korean market and will marinate it for a few days in this sauce they sell. then i pan sear it.

i'll put that ina container and will either add to eggs in the morning, or will use in my homemade lo mein.

one thing i want to try is marinating tofu so that it's sweet. i figure that i can use in smoothies