It is true....

Options
2»

Replies

• tdroseler
    tdroseler Posts: 165
    Options
    Wow...now this is a message board worth watching. Gator...first off let me say...your my hero.
    cmriverside...one classy lady
    It is wonderful to see people really supporting one another. I haven't had much chance to experience that.
    I have struggled all my life with being overweight, and all the circus that goes with it. This summer, i overheard two slender women talking about how "fat people just let themselves go" i got so mad...i walked over and told them...you want to know how to diet, ask a fat person, cause ive done every one of them out there.
    It was probly the best thing that could have happened to me, actually. It got me off my but, and working at a plan. I want my life to belong to me, for once, not to food.
    Now, at 35, and 347 lbs...im working hard at loosing.:) and im happy. I have a mantra...that works for me...food is fuel.
    When i want to eat, i ask myself, am i fueling up, or fillin up? I don't deny myself my cravings, i know this will just make me backslide. Most of all, i keep looking for ways to make it work. Like this site, for instance. Menu planning, journaling, exercising, whatever...i look for it all, and use what i can. Having a place to come and be closer to people that have been, or are in the same boat im in is very inspirational. Im not fighting this battle alone, that makes a great difference to me. Just reading about the successes makes me believe i can do it too...thank you everyone....
    This site also makes me honest. it is way to easy to fool myself into believing that im eating less....just cause i buy smaller plates, doesn't mean i eat less if i pile it higher, right? lol
    Recording every bite i eat really makes me notice where my "trouble spots" are. That way i can work on them.
    Whew!!! have i mentioned i am long winded, lol...my point being...i am so incredibly happy that everyone here is....here...it really helps.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    tdroseler,

Thank you for the compliment....I go on and on sometimes - and gator was the first interaction I had when I first started- so as you can see in this topic, I am good at computer-wind-sprints as well.

I think it is also helpful to give of yourself to others. I get kind of sad when I realize that there are 330 "Viewings" of a particular post, and 4 people take the time to post a reply. This site works so well because it is interactive. It's not just a BLOG. People can truly connect and help one another. We are here (on the planet) to love one another, to help one another, to carry their load when they need a rest.

There will always be someone here to talk to, tdroseler, and every day you will get a bit stronger, and have a bit more energy, and learn something new that will help, and by the way that is an AWESOME mantra. "Food is Fuel".

Stay with us. Search for answers. Do your best.....and make a $600 bet - and win it ! (Sorry - I don't do "serious" very well) :-)

~Cheryl
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi you guys. It's Saturday morning and I was lying in bed counting the calories I had last night in my head, so I decided to get up and log them. I was going to just go back to bed, but decided to check out the new topics. This post spoke to me. We all have our own "cross to bear" in life, but Cheryl you really struck a chord with me when you said that we are here on the planet to love and help each other. I love that. I know for me, sometimes I feel so alone and so unworthy of love... unloveable. It's at that low spot when I feel like the only joy I'll find is in a piece of chocolate or a bag of chips. I guess it's the comfort, and then the second I life that "comfort" to my lips, I hate on myself even more. I agree that we all have good and bad days, but what a feeling of freedom and friendship when you feel like you can come here to this site and "confess" and release yourself from the chains of self-hatred. It really is such a blessing to have found all of you.

And... for once in my life, I didn't FREAK out on a Friday night and go crazy. I had a good week with food and exercise and I allowed myself a few glasses of wine and some cheese... but stayed on track in my calories and today I'm feeling human still. I don't hate myself this morning! You guys rock.
  • tdroseler
    tdroseler Posts: 165
    Options
    Here Here!!! katiechakos!!!
    I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortnately food very easily becomes a "friend/fiend", and we never even notice it until it is done. For so many years i have felt the comfort of food. Being an overly sensitive person doesn't help any, but for some reason i never seem to find whatever it is im looking for, so i turn to food. Worst part is, i dont' even know what is missing...that i keep looking for, lol...go figure.
    Lately, since starting this change in lifestyle, i have become incredibly witchy. My fiance seems to be getting the worst of it and i feel even horrible. We talk at long lengths about it...we both know i am this way because im giving up what has consoled me all my life. The food. An addiction of sorts. Since he has been trying to quit smoking, he can grasp that concept. I thank God every day that i have such a loving man in my life. He is trying his very best to remain strong and supportive of me.
    We all are loveable, even when we don't feel it. And whether we get that love form those who love us, or perfect strangers in a place like this, people who are going through similar experiences, we can find that love somewhere other than the bottom of a huge bowl of mashed potatoes. hmmmm, don't forget the butter and garlic...yummm
    ohhh, wait, sorry, fell of my track there for a second, lol
    great...now i have to go see if i have any more carrots, lol
    anyways....i do believe this has quickly become one of the most important things in my life....this site, that is...it really does make a difference.
    Bye for now...

here, fridgey fridgey fridgey
    lol
    really, im going to get carrot sticks
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    tdroseler - Stop It ! Fridgey is NOT your friend. Neither is elastic, BTW.

Breaking any addiction brings up all kinds of unresolved issues. And all the frustrations that we "stuff down" wih alcohol, drugs, sex, cigarettes, and too much of the wrong food will definitely come to the surface.

A few years back, I had to let go of the past.....all of it. And I realized I had to be the one to comfort me for the rest of my life. I put a picture of myself as a small child - like 5 years old, in the center of my pictures. I had to actually let my self go back to that little girl, who didn't deserve all the unfairness that the world can dish out, and comfort her. I did that for months. It was wonderful. I believe in God, but I don't go to church and don't really miss that; but I know we are meant to be happy. Happier than we can even understand or imagine is possible.

We are all on our journey. Life is what happens while you're waiting for outside things to make you happy. We are in charge of our choices. No one else. We have to live with the consequences. It is up to us. It is up to you.

~Cheryl
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I too have a picture of myself as a child. Its current location is on top of the "fridgey"....

I have to ask myself everytime I'm hungry for the wrong thing: "what am I really eating?"...sometimes it's grief, sometimes it's anger, sometimes loneliness, sometimes happiness...I have always used food to stifle the feeling of well, feelings. Sometimes, I choose that I am actually eating what I'm eating....and that is my choice.

I have spent many a snacktime crying instead of eating over the past few years. And I've cried away 80 pounds. I feel lighter in more ways than I can count.

The trouble with breaking an addiction to food is that we can't go "cold turkey". Food needs to be a part of our healthy life, and this is hard every day. It does get easier...but I have my days where I feel I'm starting all over again.

You can do it. We all can do it. and we deserve it.
  • gator007
    Options
    I've been on a real nice project at work and it has kept me real busy. I know that I've formed new habits that now I have to stop and think about them to say what they are. For instance when I first started I forced myself to eat breakfeast, have a snack, eat lunch, have a snack, have a snack and eat dinner with an after dinner snack. By snacks I mean, granola bars or fruits, handful of trial-mix or anything in a "just right" portion. Now I do it without realizing it. I reach in my drawer and pullout a piece of fruit or carrot snacks or something just to start the process. Even when I went south on myself I may not have eaten the right foods but I did eat something and now that is what I do but now that I'm back on track it is the right foods again.

There are so many good people on this site. Reading as many post as one can read while still getting work done :) I find a simple array of how people live and how they feel. From what I've read the most that seperates us is geography. Please write your thoughts down and share them with everyone.

Before I get long winded I do want to say to TDROSELER, please keep us uptodate on your progress. Your "long winded" messages are fine with me :)