Is anyone really normal?

SummerSkier
SummerSkier Posts: 4,780 Member
The more I read and the more I open my eyes I begin to wonder if there really is a normal? Maybe binging is just part of life and as long as we don't go overboard we should just accept it and move on.

Replies

• b3kah5
    b3kah5 Posts: 280 Member
    I really believe there is a big difference between somebody who overeats sometimes and a compulsive overeater. The difference is the compulsive overeater can't just not go overboard sometimes. It's an allergy of the body. My body actually reacts differently to my trigger foods than someone who doesn't have the same problem. It sets off a whole chain reaction. One of the faces of my problem is that every once in a while I will think " I can just eat a little sugar every now and then, I will just eat a piece of cake at my kids birthday party." I have eaten half of a cake, and I did not enjoy or want to eat a single piece. Not everyone has this problem and God bless you if you don't. I just know that for me, my relationship with food is not like other peoples.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,780 Member
    This sounds similar to what a lot of us have discussed. That's why I really do wonder if it is a lot more common than we think!
  • b3kah5
    I think there are a lot of binge eaters and I also believe that the food companies are adding things to food to make it more addictive. I also know people who don't have any problem eating a single chocolate or chip or whatever. I definitely think binge eaters are not alone. I think it is a lot more common too! But hey it's food, not alcohol or drugs, so it can't be an addiction-that is what alot of people think.
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    I think there are a lot of binge eaters and I also believe that the food companies are adding things to food to make it more addictive. I also know people who don't have any problem eating a single chocolate or chip or whatever. I definitely think binge eaters are not alone. I think it is a lot more common too! But hey it's food, not alcohol or drugs, so it can't be an addiction-that is what alot of people think.

I totally agree with this. I have believed for a number of years that food is a real addiction and that certain foods (especially highly processed foods) are addictive...and now we are really starting to hear more about it as more research is done. The food companies know exactly what they are doing by adding addictive ingredients...so we buy more and they make more money!

The more I read the MFP boards (the general ones) the more I believe there are many more binge eaters than we may think. This is a closet addiction, most bingers eat privately and don't admit it.

And food is socially acceptable...it's ok to overeat. Also, I know a few people who don't have BED but they have other issues. I think everyone has *something* they use to cope. Ok maybe not everyone but most people I know do. I think "normal" is abnormal!
  • b3kah5
    LOL. I don't think there is any such thing as normal. We are all individuals. There are some things more people have in common but thank God we are not all clones.
    And it's not a coincidence that as processed foods have taken over the obesiy rate skyrocketed.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    I get what OP is saying. It is far more common than we thought. And there are so many varying degrees to it. I know no answer for it. I've done it. I'm trying to learn not to binge eat. I researched it for a while trying to find an answer to either binge eating or emotional eating and still haven't found the answers, but every where I asked , there were hundreds of people who commented and it does appear to be quite common in varying degrees.
  • emmiee921
    emmiee921 Posts: 224
    Bread mainly fresh white bread is really addictivr, i cant eat about 6 pieces in one morning.
    Cereal i can have big bowls..
    Thats my main as we dont have a lot of junk here in the house