Does Propel count as Water?

13»

Replies

• sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Your body is capable of extracting the water from the Propel (or soda/coffee etc) and using it to hydrate. I'm not saying that everything that is added to water is good for you, but most fluids can be counted as water.

Caffeine free tea can be counted as water.
    Yes and caffeinated tea also:smile:
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Yes, it does. As does anything that is water based. People get way to crazy about this 8 cups of water a day thinking that it has to be 8 cups of plain old water. For one thing 8 cups is more than you actually need and another thing, if a drink is water based, you're body is getting water from it.
  • mejustsmaller316
    mejustsmaller316 Posts: 134 Member
    So if you ate an orange the same time you drank a glass of water you would not count the water cause the water is mixing with the orange in your gut and altering the water and making it "not water"
    [/quote]

Hmmmm.......
    My brain is starting to hurt.
  • Your body is capable of extracting the water from the Propel (or soda/coffee etc) and using it to hydrate. I'm not saying that everything that is added to water is good for you, but most fluids can be counted as water.

Caffeine free tea can be counted as water.
    Yes and caffeinated tea also:smile:

Agreed! The water count is for the sake of tracking hydration, so I count most fluids, caffeinated or otherwise. If it adds calories (ex: Crystal Light or whatever), I will log the handful of calories at the top AND up the water intake at the bottom.

I'm not convinced that your body wouldn't be able to extract the water it needs from just about anything you ingest that has fluids. (Sorry - lots of double negatives, I know.) For example, I visited Vietnam for a week and did not drink the tap water. Pretty sure it would be a physical impossibility to have survived that week if the multiple coconuts a day that I did drink were not considered "water". Clearly my body managed somehow. Just saying.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    So if you ate an orange the same time you drank a glass of water you would not count the water cause the water is mixing with the orange in your gut and altering the water and making it "not water"

Hmmmm.......
    My brain is starting to hurt.
    [/quote]
    yeah, not a well constructed sentence...sorry
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    Count it as Propel in the 'calorie' section to record the electrolytes, etc, and count the volume in the 'water' section.

I wouldn't trust a nutritionist/dietitian/etc. that thinks water with something added isn't 'water.' You would think they more than anyone would know it's still water.
  • MandieBellie
    MandieBellie Posts: 39 Member
    lol, no. Only water is water. Your BODY would not see "water" with added stuff to it as water. Just going a google search for the ingredients....does this look like water?

Your body gets most of its water from the foods you eat. So, yes, our bodies would count this "water with additives" as water.
  • Quel1970
    Quel1970 Posts: 91 Member
    I was curious about this a while ago and asked SEVERAL physicians and dietitians this very question. I was told it doesn't matter- that I could even count diet soft drinks (I don't). I drink zero unflavored water and that is why I had asked.

To the person who claims only water is water- most tap water in the city is fortified with fluoride...... so I guess you should be drinking water form a stream if you water pure water.... just saying :)