Running/Jogging -- Speed or Distance?

13»

Replies

• ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Go for distance. If you can get your distance up, the speed will come along. I think of it this way: I started running at age 43, there was no way I could get my speed fast enough to be competitive in races, buty with perseverence I could run FARTHER than most people. I ran my third 100 mile race last September, and will attempt 140 miles in August this year.
  • ajp913
    ajp913 Posts: 100 Member
    I like to mix it up because they present different challenges. Some days I'll go in and say "my goal is to run a mile in under this amount of time" and other days I'll say "I'm going to jog two miles no matter how long it takes." I figure it's like mixing power lifting with endurance lifting.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Can i say both - but until you work up your speed, go for distance.
  • CallistaRobbins
    CallistaRobbins Posts: 2 Member
    I found that when I do other strength training exercises like Jillian's ripped in 30 and running I was ably to run faster for longer.
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    I would go for distance, you'll build up endurance then the speed will come.
    Good luck I love to run!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Go for distance. If you can get your distance up, the speed will come along. I think of it this way: I started running at age 43, there was no way I could get my speed fast enough to be competitive in races, buty with perseverence I could run FARTHER than most people. I ran my third 100 mile race last September, and will attempt 140 miles in August this year.

A little OT but.......100 miles! I'm not even sure I have a full marathon in me, maybe I'll find out next year.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Distance :)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    so I have a question then to add to this, do I lower my speed back down to 4mph and go longer? I can do about 1/2mile on 4.5-4.7
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,035 Member
    I'm just jumping in to agree with just about everyone else- distance first. Your speed with naturally increase the more you run and the farther you run.