I've never seen these movies!

Replies

• Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    I haven't seen the Godfather movies despite crime dramas, especially mob movies being amongst my favorite genres. I just can't deal with it everytime I go to watch it. The book was awesome though.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    It's funny you said that because I have never seen Pulp Fiction and all my friends are amazed by this fact.

You haven't seen Pulp Fiction? Sacrilege! :laugh: Seriously, it's a great movie. Just see it already.
  • It's funny you said that because I have never seen Pulp Fiction and all my friends are amazed by this fact.

You haven't seen Pulp Fiction? Sacrilege! :laugh: Seriously, it's a great movie. Just see it already.

lol. Ok I'm going to watch the next time it comes on.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    add the previously mentioned Ferris Bueler, Scarface, and The Godfather to my list

Caddyshack (I worked at a country club, so this floored people)
    Rambo
  • Musikelektronik
    add the previously mentioned Ferris Bueler, Scarface, and The Godfather to my list

Caddyshack (I worked at a country club, so this floored people)
    Rambo

I've never seen Caddyshack, either. So add that to my list, too! :smile:
  • Musikelektronik
    Why be closed? Granted most of the films you've listed aren't masterpieces but just because a story follows the Hollywood formula, or is seen by lots of people, is a commercial success - doesn't automatically make it unworthwhile.

This whole thing started when I was in college. I was a young English major, kind of snobby about what I would read and watch. And I thought that, if "everyone" wants to see it, then it can't be that good. After all, most Hollywood product is designed to appeal to as many people as possible, so it can't be that smart or intellectually challenging. It's kind of silly to me now, but I was young and brash, and that's what I thought back then.

Now I'm just continuing the "streak" because I'm old and stubborn. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • twinswin1
    twinswin1 Posts: 25
    I am an 19 year old girl,
    and have never seen twilight..
    Infact despite my love for werewolf / vampire films,
    i just dont want to go near it.
    ever..

Awesome! There is one person in my home that is a Twi-hard and I'm tempted to divorce him over it! A large, Harley riding, metal music lovin' man can't choose between Team Jacob or Team Edward. Myself, team shoot me, shoot me now.
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    The whole Hunger Games phenomenon has reminded me that I have a long-running "streak" of sorts: I have avoided all of the top-grossing movies of the past 20+ years. Here's a list of movies that I HAVEN'T seen and have no intention of seeing:

The Hunger Games
    Any of the Twilight movies
    Any of the Harry Potter movies
    Titanic
    Any of the Jurassic Park movies
    Any Star Wars movie made after 1977
    Any animated movies by Disney or Pixar

Sorry, I'm not just not into the big Hollywood blockbuster. What about you?

Avatar and Jurassic park movies were awesome!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Titanic

Sometimes movies are blockbusters because they are really really good.
    You have to see "The Lion King"
    You have to see "Toy Story"
    You have to see "Titanic"

Lion King is basically Hamlet, Toy Story is a common fantasy and Titanic was a true techncal and romantic accomplishment.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    So you are some sort of movie hipster, refusing to see a movie because it makes money? I kinda get that but you're kinda cutting yourself off from some pretty great stuff by doing that. The reason some movies are so great is because they had a nice Hollywood budget to make them great. That's not to say a movie has to have a huge budget to be amazing, but don't rule it out simply because it's a blockbuster. That being said.. Twilight is crap
  • cannonsky
    Titanic

Lion King is basically Hamlet, Toy Story is a common fantasy and Titanic was a true techncal and romantic accomplishment.

Who cares if The Lion King is Hamlet? That doesn't make you any less sad when Mufasa dies. Please read this http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common-movie-arguments-that-are-always-wrong/
  • cannonsky
    The whole Hunger Games phenomenon has reminded me that I have a long-running "streak" of sorts: I have avoided all of the top-grossing movies of the past 20+ years. Here's a list of movies that I HAVEN'T seen and have no intention of seeing:

The Hunger Games
    Any of the Twilight movies
    Any of the Harry Potter movies
    Titanic
    Any of the Jurassic Park movies

Why be closed? Granted most of the films you've listed aren't masterpieces but just because a story follows the Hollywood formula, or is seen by lots of people, is a commercial success - doesn't automatically make it unworthwhile.

Avatar, for example, is fairly straightforward in terms of story, you can see where it's heading within the first act, but it's also the sort of thing that was designed to make full use of the canvas on a big screen, visually it is a stunning piece of work.

I love large format impact movies, and I like modest, character driven productions, and independent films that don't follow all of the Hollywood norms, or stories that are non-linear but stll work - 'Memento' eg, what a feat that was to pull off successfully.

Cinema is a bit like eating for me in the respect that I much prefer a balanced diet. The Harry Potter films are full of craftsmanship even if you don't like the content - a bit of that, an indulgence of Lawrence of Arabia, an occasional helping of Amelie, and liberal amounts of my favourite directors is what it's all about really.

A balanced diet of movies... love that metaphor
  • Musikelektronik
    I haven't watched a Lars Von Trier movie since Antichrist TRAUMATIZED ME.

This totally just went into my Netflix queue! :smile:
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    My husband still gives me crap because I'm the only woman he's been with that hasn't sat through Blade Runner with him (it's his favorite movie and he owns a gazillion versions).

I've never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Last Crusade. I wish I'd never seen Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Ugh!

I've never seen Saving Private Ryan all the way through.

Casablanca

I'm sure there are lots more even though I've seen a lot of movies.
  • Musikelektronik
    My husband still gives me crap because I'm the only woman he's been with that hasn't sat through Blade Runner with him (it's his favorite movie and he owns a gazillion versions).

I've never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Last Crusade. I wish I'd never seen Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Ugh!

I've never seen Saving Private Ryan all the way through.

Casablanca

I'm sure there are lots more even though I've seen a lot of movies.

You've got some street cred with me, then. Let's add Saving Private Ryan, and anything with Harrison Ford in it to my list of "Movies I'll Never See Unless I'm Being Waterboarded and That's the Only Way to Make It Stop." :smile:
  • Pengi81
    Pengi81 Posts: 336 Member
    I've not seen any Jurassic Park movies yet - this fact disgusts my partner's brother

Up until a few weeks ago I'd never seen Episode 1, 2 or 3 of Star Wars!

There's a LOAD of films I've not seen, too many to be listed here

But since my partner made we watch the Star Wars movies and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved them (same with LOTR trilogy about 2 years ago) then I think I'll be watching Jurassic Park soon as well
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,576 Member
    Titanic

Who cares if The Lion King is Hamlet? That doesn't make you any less sad when Mufasa dies. Please read this http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common-movie-arguments-that-are-always-wrong/

I think you are my female younger clone lol
  • RDalton84
    RDalton84 Posts: 207
    It's funny you said that because I have never seen Pulp Fiction and all my friends are amazed by this fact.

lol. Ok I'm going to watch the next time it comes on.

Justy FYI I have seen Pulp Fiction because my husband loves it and I hated EVERY second of it! Totally stupid and pointless movie IMO and Forrest Gump deserved to win the Oscar over that movie
  • BaileyKat52
    BaileyKat52 Posts: 461 Member
    I am an 19 year old girl,
    and have never seen twilight..
    Infact despite my love for werewolf / vampire films,
    i just dont want to go near it.
    ever..

Smart! I have seen the first two as my daughter is a big fan. They are terrible, terrible movies. So bad even that I sometimes wonder if the people who made them actually did it on purpose as some kind of joke.
  • Musikelektronik
    Justy FYI I have seen Pulp Fiction because my husband loves it and I hated EVERY second of it! Totally stupid and pointless movie IMO and Forrest Gump deserved to win the Oscar over that movie

You are hereby banned from these forums, young lady! :laugh: