"That" time

So, I have been doing pretty good as far as keeping calories in check and exercising. Now it's that time of the month and I'm retaining a ton of water!! I'm not letting it bother me too much, I know it will pass. But does anyone have any tips to shed that extra water? I gained three pounds worth and I look sooooooo puffy!

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    as strange as it sounds, drink more water. Also watch your sodium intake
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    I drink more water/fluids and do NOT add salt to anything I eat.

I also find working out helps too - even if it is a slower walk.
  • Girl06
    Girl06 Posts: 12
    drink lots of water.. nd do not weight yourself till its over.. cause it will be just water gain. :flowerforyou:
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    as strange as it sounds, drink more water. Also watch your sodium intake

this
  • fang19423
    fang19423 Posts: 1,407 Member
    Lemon in hot water first thing in the morning also helps with water retention. ;)
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Drink! Lots. It will help flush the water out. And keep working out. Then when you do shed the water weight you'll be down lower than you started and you'll feel even better.
  • becky3277
    becky3277 Posts: 64 Member
    Honesly...sometimes dirurex ulta is the ONLY thing that gives me relif. I get so swollen that I can't eat and don't want to move. :noway:
  • Honesly...sometimes dirurex ulta is the ONLY thing that gives me relif. I get so swollen that I can't eat and don't want to move. :noway:

Maybe I should try this too b/c I get the same way!
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    I've always tried to drink a lot more water during TOM. I don't add any salt to my food and try to avoid foods with high sodium contents. Try eating more potassium (bananas, spinach, sweet potatoes, etc) and see if that helps. It should help flush sodium and water out. Exercise really helps too. I would normally much rather stay curled in a ball than workout but its such a mood booster that once I push myself through it, I feel better.

I agree with the previous post - Don't weigh yourself til a couple days after its over. It'll just be disheartening to see that water weight gain.
  • Thank you! I might try the diurex. Right now I'm drinking a ton of water with lemon in it. My salt intake has always been pretty low, I usually stay under 1500mg.
  • And the exercise is really helping with the pain. I found bellydancing really helps relieve it.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Diurex works wonders for me, it definitely helps reduce that bloated full feeling. Start taking it a few days before your period and during. Don't take more than 4 a day and you might not even need that much.

Stay away from salt, drink lots of water, things like green tea and veggies like cucumbers are natural diuretics as well. Also don't weight yourself during that time. :wink:

Lastly.. exercise! Nothing strenuous or dangerous, even if you just go walking. It makes me feel better anyhow to stay on track that way, period or not.