An extremely polite suggestion

Replies

• Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Per some of the suggestions I've seen here tonight, I should have been less polite (a.k.a. pretentious) and a little more DIRECT in my condescension, since condescension is what I'm being accused of. If you're wondering why I chose my particular strategy for writing the original post, here are a couple of fun facts.

1. I wrote in a way that I felt was clear, using the words I felt most accurately described the message I was trying to put out there.
    2. Since my post wasn't intended to be a RANT about how other people communicate, I didn't frame it as such. It was just a gentle reminder for an audience including myself.
    3.. If I had been more of a turd about it, the post would have IMMEDIATELY been censored. Believe me, I have seen fairly polite, but slightly more frisky posts get shut down in minutes because the original post had humor in it.

If you want to have a more candid discussion with me, including CONTRACTIONS and SLANG WORDS thrown in for free, please PM me. I'm not going to be pulled into an emotional rant in this thread, but I'm very happy to have any conversations you feel would benefit me.
  • I checked out your profile and wasn't very surprised to see one of your interests is the dramatic arts. :laugh: :cry:
  • As someone with excellent spelling and grammar skills, I really don't care. Yes, I notice when someone uses loose rather than lose. I ignore it. It's the message and the person behind it that is important.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    I completely agree with you. Wince each time I read poor grammar and spelling.....

This.
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    When is the dissertation on their, they're and there going to be posted?

I know right! There are so many words that people use wrong, it's crazy!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Per some of the suggestions I've seen here tonight, I should have been less polite (a.k.a. pretentious) and a little more DIRECT in my condescension, since condescension is what I'm being accused of. If you're wondering why I chose my particular strategy for writing the original post, here are a couple of fun facts.

1. I wrote in a way that I felt was clear, using the words I felt most accurately described the message I was trying to put out there.
    2. Since my post wasn't intended to be a RANT about how other people communicate, I didn't frame it as such. It was just a gentle reminder for an audience including myself.
    3.. If I had been more of a turd about it, the post would have IMMEDIATELY been censored. Believe me, I have seen fairly polite, but slightly more frisky posts get shut down in minutes because the original post had humor in it.

If you want to have a more candid discussion with me, including CONTRACTIONS and SLANG WORDS thrown in for free, please PM me. I'm not going to be pulled into an emotional rant in this thread, but I'm very happy to have any conversations you feel would benefit me.

Actually...I think I'm starting to love you too.

:flowerforyou:

Go figure!
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Not tying your shoes is also easier, and other people probably won't bother pointing it out to you because it doesn't really have any importance to them one way or another. Which is more offensive- someone assuming that you didn't tie them because you are lazy, or assuming you don't know how and might benefit from a reminder? Many of you may disagree, but I think this is an important question. Would you REALLY rather be thought too lazy to take the five seconds it takes to tie your shoes (a practical skill that can prevent problems, and with minimal repeated practice becomes second-nature)?
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Is that whole part about career saving potential for real?

no, it was in jest. i copy pasted it from the OP's post. man, explaining jokes always makes them suck...

I did see that you edited your post after I posted my post and therefore my post is now void. Sorry for making you explain the joke, I know it sucks when that happens.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Where is the TL:DR?
  • Isn't looking down on people because they can't spell well not much different than looking down on people who have weight to lose? Or because they have any other fault we don't have while we have our own faults?
  • I love the English language and to be honest it used to bother me too but now I let it roll off my back. As I've gotten older I've come to realize that some things just aren't as important as they used to be.

On another note, I am always amazed and disgusted at how quickly people jump on the bullying bandwagon. This world is so full of intolerance and hatred. Most are saying that we should be on here to be supportive, which I agree with, but then they aren't being anything but rude?? I really don't get it.
  • I love the English language and to be honest it used to bother me too but now I let it roll off my back. As I've gotten older I've come to realize that some things just aren't as important as they used to be.

On another note, I am always amazed and disgusted at how quickly people jump on the bullying bandwagon. This world is so full of intolerance and hatred. Most are saying that we should be on here to be supportive, which I agree with, but then they aren't being anything but rude?? I really don't get it.

Agree totally. I think getting older and being more accepting of the self plays a role in keeping things in perspective too.
  • I never liked shoe laces. That's why I loved when the Velcro was in during the 80's or sometimes I would just pull the laces out of my sneakers all together.. and I never gave any thought to if people were assuming I didn't know how to tie them or if I was lazy
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Thank you, thank you, and thank you! : )
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Isn't it ironic that many of those complaining about spelling, including the OP, have displayed poor grammar comprehension in their post.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 340 Member
    It took me 1 minute of my time to write this original post, yet many of you are treating it as if I sweated over it all day, pulling my hair out and mumbling grammar rules to myself through clenched teeth while literally humping a thesaurus.
    [quote/]

^^^ It's that right there. It isn't your message, it's your method of delivery. To be frank, you pretty much sound like a snobby b***h who has put so much money into her over-priced education, that (she feels) it is almost her God-given right to shove her degree into the face of any who challenge her position.
    Don't misunderstand me, I didn't say that you ARE that girl, merely your chosen verbage (method of delivery) strongly suggests superiority, which far over shadows the point of poor spelling/grammar (message).

If nothing else, consider it cheap entertainment! I often get a good laugh out of others using incorrect words! :p

I
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 340 Member
    Isn't it ironic that many of those complaining about spelling, including the OP, have displayed poor grammar comprehension in their post.

Woot!!!
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    The repetitive posts about the misuse of the words are far more annoying than the actual misuse of the words.

I'm glad you took time out of your busy day to provide such an insightful lesson to other posters. *ahem* dead horse.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    The repetitive posts about the misuse of the words are far more annoying than the actual misuse of the words.

• it never ceases to amaze me how up in arms people get over a simple suggestion on how to improve their grammar :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.