Best Strength Training Program?

2»

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    As long as you use progressive overload it doesn't matter. Don't look for the "magic bullet" there isnt one. Well there is, it's called "hard work"

this.

i like to change things up on occasion. right now, i've started using kettle bells. they're great, and really hit your core.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Does it use compound lifts (lifts that use multiple joints and multiple muscle groups) and tell you to utilize the full ROM (range of motion)? Does it have you add resistance/weight as you progress? Does it recommend free weights over machines?

If it satisfies these 3 criteria, it's probably a good strength training program.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    <
    Extremely annoyed that I won't be pushing past my personal best record this week due to family stuff that will take up all my non@work time.

progressive overload is the reason such a "simple" program like stronglifts doesn't get boring. Once you start reaching your limit it is anything but boring trying to keep your form and go heavier EVERY time!
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Thanks for all the info. I'll be researching these after work tonight. I do best if I have a program to follow, so I'll have to decide which one will work for me. I like the sound of new rules since it sounds like it includes some food guidelines as well. But strong lifts is free. Will also check everyone else's suggestions.

Any thoughts how many calories I should aim for? I'm small so I think my maintenance level is pretty low. :( Maybe I should post that question in a different forum...
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    You're around my size. I have done NROLFW twice now with great results both times (i.e. lost body fat and gained strength).

I agree with you that you should decrease cardio, increase strength training (3x a week) and increase calories. I usually eat somewhere in the area of 1700-1900 on the days I train. I do 2 sessions of HIIT for 20 minutes per week and 3 days of heavy weight training. I have kept in great shape because of it - I will never go back to the days of endless cardio. I look less flabby and better now than when I weighed 105 pounds.

Don't think just because you are small your maintenance is low - that's a common misconception women have. Especially if you're weight training you need extra calories for muscle recovery and growth. I'd say start somewhere around 1500-1600, then give it a few weeks and adjust if necessary. Repeat - give it a few weeks!! Don't freak if you gain some weight initially, it is common and happens to everyone.

Go for it! You'll be glad you did! :wink:
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    You're around my size. I have done NROLFW twice now with great results both times (i.e. lost body fat and gained strength).

I agree with you that you should decrease cardio, increase strength training (3x a week) and increase calories. I usually eat somewhere in the area of 1700-1900 on the days I train. I do 2 sessions of HIIT for 20 minutes per week and 3 days of heavy weight training. I have kept in great shape because of it - I will never go back to the days of endless cardio. I look less flabby and better now than when I weighed 105 pounds.

Don't think just because you are small your maintenance is low - that's a common misconception women have. Especially if you're weight training you need extra calories for muscle recovery and growth. I'd say start somewhere around 1500-1600, then give it a few weeks and adjust if necessary. Repeat - give it a few weeks!! Don't freak if you gain some weight initially, it is common and happens to everyone.

Go for it! You'll be glad you did! :wink:
    I like the sound of that, thanks!! :)