1st Half Marathon -- how do you keep your energy up?

13»

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    I ran my first half on Sunday. I had a protein shake + green tea powder first thing when I woke up (about 4:45am) and a Clif bar in the car on the drive to the race (5:30am). Sipped on some Gatorade while waiting around at the race site. Used a packet of Gatorade prime right before the race (6:45am).

I had a package of shot bloks with me on the run that I started using around mile 7. Took 2 gatorades and 1 water at the hydration stations, and half a banana at about mile 9. It worked great for me and I never felt sluggish or anything.
  • jackeroo83
    jackeroo83 Posts: 32 Member
    Thanks for the words of encouragement! I think after all this training I might have a sporting chance despite the nerves. :-)
    I ran my first half marathon a month ago...it's an amazing feeling and accomplishment. You will have energy that day from all of the excitement. Remember it's more in your head than in your body....running takes patience and mind over matter, baby! You can do this, you've trained for 12 weeks (I followed Hal Higdon's schedule, I highly recommend it). I felt that there was nothing more I could have done to prepare me for that day.
    Wear clothes you've ran in before and take the gu....you got this, nuttin' but a thing and major Bragging rights..just sayin'. I am wishing you luck even though you won't need it. : )
  • ekball
    ekball Posts: 12 Member
    My first 1/2 I used Gu and took one around mile 5, and again at mile 10ish. For my second 1/2 I switched things up a bit, started using Gu chomps and took them more frequently than the Gu gels (more frequently, but in smaller amounts). I think I took my first chomp around mile 5, then had one chomp every 2-3 miles after. I think I had 4 in all - so one pack of chomps (1/2 of what I had with the Gu gels). I felt SO much better during my second 1/2 - for many reasons - but one of which is because I never let myself get too tired before I had another chomp. A little burst of carbs spread out over the miles kept me feeling energized throughout the race, with no peaks or valleys.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    You need to experiment, just not on race day!

^ This

Karen
  • danag1967
    danag1967 Posts: 14 Member
    You can get the Honey Stinger chews at a Trek store or Fleet Feet or any specialty running shoe store. They are very gentle on my system.
  • jackeroo83
    Results! 2:22:36! :-) I ended up doing a Gu gel and then Chomps during the race - seemed to work like a charm, but I have a number of other things to try based on this string. Thanks everyone for the tips and support!!
  • brookeg20
    brookeg20 Posts: 54
    Bump. I just started training for my first half, and I was wondering the same thing.
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Results! 2:22:36! :-) I ended up doing a Gu gel and then Chomps during the race - seemed to work like a charm, but I have a number of other things to try based on this string. Thanks everyone for the tips and support!!

That is awesome! Congrats. I am just starting to contemplate a half marathon (after finishing my first 10k last week) and this is all very encouraging.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    I never heard of all this stuff until I came here. I just run. I drink and eat when I'm done. I wonder if we're being too over the top with all this? I haven't run one yet, so.... But, i have run 12 miles a couple times now, and I just don't see it as that big of deal. I'm not talking about the accomplishment of doing it, but the water, and gels, and food, and supplements. Just sounds like overkill. Just eat and drink when you're done. What happened to that? I see my neighbor go on 5 mile walks with a water belt and food and all that and I thin, WTF. When did all this happen? If you eat allot fuel your body properly, shouldn't you be fine? Or am I missing something?

I run this week. It will be my first. I'll have one slice of peanut butter toast, as always before my long runs, and that's it. I'll have chocolate milk waiting for me at the end. :-). But, during seems like a distraction. Do you stop and eat? How do you do it?
  • jackeroo83
    Neverstray I get your point -- but the race on Sunday was super hot, so I opted for the gels to keep the electrolytes up while drinking water, and ate a banana and toast beforehand. I think the more conditioned you become the less you need, but everyone seems to be different. I have a friend who can run 10+ miles on a small breakfast.

During the race I just had this little pack of Gu Chomps gummies with me, and would have one or two every mile after I got halfway. I'd just stow them in a little zip pocket I had.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Neverstray I get your point -- but the race on Sunday was super hot, so I opted for the gels to keep the electrolytes up while drinking water, and ate a banana and toast beforehand. I think the more conditioned you become the less you need, but everyone seems to be different.

the hotter it is and the longer you are out there, the more the whole salt replacement thing is a factor.

Yes the more you run and the more you train w/o supplements, the better your body is at operating without.

My last HM, I took water at 2 stops and only a sip and that is it. It was also 44 and overcast so there you go. I don't normally take anything in training unless I am over 16 miles and training to eat something. I have done 20 with just a wee bit of gatorade.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    I was grumpy when I wrote that, but I still wonder about it. So, thanks. I run on Sunday. But, I start at 6:15am, so I expect to be done by 8am, so it shouldnt be hot or anything at all. If I pass out, I might have wished I had a gel. LOL.